Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant tantrum spiral?  (Read 1222 times)

cbutton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Migrant tantrum spiral?
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »

I keep getting migrants that go into tantrums when they arrive, I think they are from my last fort in this world that was crippled by a goblin ambush and fell into a spiral shortly thereafter.  Is this in fact happening? Is it possible?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant tantrum spiral?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »

Yes, that's possible. If they survived your last fort chances are high that some of them arrive in your new fort in the mood they have been left last time. Including all sideeffects.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:45:01 pm »

I had two migrants show up in my first wave (one of the ones that pops out of thin air) in my first fort of that world, and they quickly slid into unhappiness from "filthy water" and starvation... despite there being booze and plump helmets around.  Kitchen was built, but I was having some issues getting Urist McGreasyspoon to actually go there.  After a few minutes, both were hunting vermin then climbed into beds.  One woke up screaming (Urist McUnreasonable cancels sleep... throwing tantrum) and went insane.

Fort was on an unrecoverable downward spiral before the first caravan, and this was in a mirthful embark.  Armok apparently does not appreciate mirth.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »

Clearly the solution to this issue is to quarantine all newcomers in a luxury prison until their mood improves and they're deemed able to mingle with the public. Those who do not improve their moods are to be removed from the population... permanently.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:03:33 am »

If your old fortress was established under Civilization A and your new fortress is a member of Civilization B, will the new fort still recieve migrants from a different civ? And does map distance (from civ's Mountainhome, and/or from previous fortress) have any effect?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 03:52:40 am »

If your old fortress was established under Civilization A and your new fortress is a member of Civilization B, will the new fort still recieve migrants from a different civ? And does map distance (from civ's Mountainhome, and/or from previous fortress) have any effect?

Also do refugees always go back to their original civilization or can they switch after a fortress is abandoned?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 06:06:51 pm »

I didn't check anything, but from experience, I have never seen a dwarf from a civilization from a abandoned fort come to another's civilization fort.
In a time before time, I had a name.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »

Dwarven Ptsd. Praise the toad!  :o
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 07:42:05 pm »

I keep getting migrants that go into tantrums when they arrive, I think they are from my last fort in this world that was crippled by a goblin ambush and fell into a spiral shortly thereafter.  Is this in fact happening? Is it possible?
Very possible. I've had it happen myself.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Frostea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »

The reverse is possible too, if you abandoned the fort while it is going smoothly. http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/20hi5a/apparently_migrants_can_bring_their_previous/