Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Specifying certain individual items for certain stockpiles  (Read 1405 times)

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
Specifying certain individual items for certain stockpiles
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:24:02 pm »

Forever now, I've been trying to make it so my artifacts go in their OWN stockpile, and it is a gigantic pain in the ass because I have to enable all of these things under the custom stockpile settings to make it so only artifacts go in the pile, and I have disable the settings for all the other stockpiles to not allow artifact quality items.

That's just not acceptable, honestly. I think items, when you push "k" and hover over something, should have the option to specify what stockpile that individual item goes in, and then when you set that setting, it will be taken straight to the stockpile. I think it should be a custom setting choice to choose individual items as well, instead of choosing categories with specific qualities and traits.

To add to why it would be taking it straight to the stockpile, I've had problems where my dwarves create a legendary bin, and their first instinct was
"Gee, that's a really nice artifact, let's use it to store raw fish! Or maybe lye! Who cares!"

I strictly don't want my artifacts used unless I explicitly designate them to be used. I want to assure that I'm keeping them somewhere they cannot be stolen or destroyed.
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Specifying certain individual items for certain stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:02:30 pm »

I agree.  Does make it hard to put them on display when you have to go through each and every stockpile to try to tell them NOT to store it there.
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 02:30:08 am »

Couldn't you set a garbage dump zone where you want the artifacts, dump them, then leave them forbidden?

Although, if you actually wanted to use them and keep them in a specific area that would be a problem.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:32:52 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Rogtuok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:28:24 am »

That whoud be good. But what i like to get i a new furnuture instead were you can assign items to like a display case were you can put artifacts or any other item for that mater. So dwarfs can get happy thoughts from them. Also my military starting to name ther weapons and I whoud like to be able to honor ther death by displaying ther weapon.

black47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 09:19:22 am »

Masterwork mod has exactly that: a Display Case you can create with any item (artifacts for that matter) to give it value and leave it as a static furniture. I don't remember if dwarves became amazed/happy by them or not though (you'd have to look that up) but it's still nice for roleplaying and honoring important events/items, and generally giving increased value to rooms.
You could download it and only copy over the RAWs for that building, and allow your entities to use it on your future worldgens.

Rogtuok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:44 am »

Dident know that excisted. so i can just download master and copy the raw file and i can make and use the display case ?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 11:37:46 am »

That whoud be good. But what i like to get i a new furnuture instead were you can assign items to like a display case were you can put artifacts or any other item for that mater. So dwarfs can get happy thoughts from them. Also my military starting to name ther weapons and I whoud like to be able to honor ther death by displaying ther weapon.
Or when it's an artifact cave spider silk thong, all of the Dwarves will get uncomfortable and avert their eyes as they walk past...
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:34:34 pm »

Masterwork mod has exactly that: a Display Case you can create with any item (artifacts for that matter) to give it value and leave it as a static furniture. I don't remember if dwarves became amazed/happy by them or not though (you'd have to look that up) but it's still nice for roleplaying and honoring important events/items, and generally giving increased value to rooms.
You could download it and only copy over the RAWs for that building, and allow your entities to use it on your future worldgens.
Modest mod has it too. Probably less other stuff to sort through.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:21 am »

I think items, when you push "k" and hover over something, should have the option to specify what stockpile that individual item goes in, and then when you set that setting, it will be taken straight to the stockpile. I think it should be a custom setting choice to choose individual items as well, instead of choosing categories with specific qualities and traits.
I think I'd prefer a straight 'put the item on this tile here' option. It'd be like a dump option, but it'd work on artifacts and save you the hassle of making a temporary dump, ensuring that the item will go to that particular dump, and then reclaiming the item and switching off or deleting the temporary dump zone. (For all that effort you might as well make a stockpile solely for artifact crowns or whatever.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:30:46 am »

Dident know that excisted. so i can just download master and copy the raw file and i can make and use the display case ?

Yeah, or if you want to do it in the current game and have no need (or future need) for screw presses, you can modify the screw press building like I did. Wish I knew how to make it take artifacts only though, aside from the block used as the base.

Yeah I know it just sort of sounds like I put a block of whatever on the ground and placed the artifact on it, not exactly pretty, but it works.

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:28 pm »

Couldn't you set a garbage dump zone where you want the artifacts, dump them, then leave them forbidden?

Although, if you actually wanted to use them and keep them in a specific area that would be a problem.

That's actually a really good idea for my purposes. I think I'll actually do that. But hopefully in the future, my idea will be considered so we don't ever have to taint our beautiful artifacts with "Dump"
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"