Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trying to learn to make creatures from scratch  (Read 1531 times)

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to learn to make creatures from scratch
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »

[CANOPENDOOR] should be [CANOPENDOORS]

[2:0:1] should be [COLOR:2:0:1]

[STATE_COLOR_ALL:2:0:0] in both the skin and the ichor material definitions should be [DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:0] if you want to use those arguments. If you want an actual colour, then you must use a colour ID instead of a number ID, such as [STATE_COLOR:ALL:GREEN]

[SCAR] in the brain tissue definition should be [SCARS]

Your body size at year 7 has an extra colon

You don't have tentacles because they are looking for a part with the ID of BP but the body has the ID of BD

Alright, many things are working now. Bleeding still isn't a thing, and the brain can't seem to identify what material it's supposed to be. Also, it seems that it wants to use a bunch of other materials for something and keeps defaulting to jelly. Also, stinging doesn't reliably inject ichor (which I'm going to replace with a separate material from the blood ichor at some point), although I think that may be something forced by the game. Still, progress!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 11:49:16 pm »

The blood isn't being added because the blood material isn't defined. The blood tag itself also doesn't have its state argument.

Give it [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]

[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR]
Should be
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]

For an attack to inject something, it must break the skin.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:58 am »

It might just be my particular specialties in creature modding, but I find your first creature idea (flying animate sword, the pain in the ass would be making it even 1/20th as durable as an item without being too gamey) easier than your second (how realistic would it go and what kind of anatomy does a jellyfish even have?).

Note if you want contaminant attacks, having dangerous secretions on an attack that can grapple would be your best bet. If the jelly is super weak compared to attackee it just breaks grip and is affected by syndrome (unless onset is debilitating instantly). If jelly is powerful is proceeds to act like a wrestling GCS (Godzilla scale Jellyfish Megabeast?).
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:27 am »

It might just be my particular specialties in creature modding, but I find your first creature idea (flying animate sword, the pain in the ass would be making it even 1/20th as durable as an item without being too gamey) easier than your second (how realistic would it go and what kind of anatomy does a jellyfish even have?).

Note if you want contaminant attacks, having dangerous secretions on an attack that can grapple would be your best bet. If the jelly is super weak compared to attackee it just breaks grip and is affected by syndrome (unless onset is debilitating instantly). If jelly is powerful is proceeds to act like a wrestling GCS (Godzilla scale Jellyfish Megabeast?).

The sword thing actually works really well. The aura (which I repurposed into a spectral hand) is so incredibly fragile and not that hard to hit, since bodyparts can't parry. I had to give it massive natural sills in order to let it survive, so fighting it just relies on fighting skills more than equipment; I've had it get taken down in unarmed back in .34.

Regarding jellyfish anatomy, the creature I'm trying to make is heavily based off the Rutans from Doctor Who, which are green shapeshifting aliens which look like jellyfish because the original series had a tiny budget and plastic jellyfish are cheap. It's mentioned that they have to deliberately form vocal structures to speak, so the internal anatomy is pretty amorphous, hence why I'm leaving it as generic jelly, aside from a dedicated brain, which is just so it can actually resist blunt attacks. Except the brain isn't being rendered because "RUTAN:BRAIN:Unrecognized Material Token: RUTAN:Creature Tissue Material Failure: BRAIN:(no mat1):(no mat3):(no mat3)", whatever that means.

Anyway, regarding the contaminant, I didn't know there was a secretion system. Now I do, and it works pretty well. I still can't get the infernal brain to work, though. I'm not sure why it can't find the [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:JELLY] token. It's spelled correctly and everything. In any case, it's irritating.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 03:47:36 am »

I know your problem. There is more to modding than you have learned. You have done bodyparts and creatures and now it's time for...

Body Detail Plans!

You are mis-using them, the one you're using is for spinal creatures and isn't suitable for jellies/jelli-likes. Maybe use the one the sponge uses. Also on another note, did anyone point out that your color tags lack the tag parts? First issue in errorlog
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:07 pm »

Body Detail Plants: the most likely thing to go wrong, the simplest way to do right, the most complex type of raw in the game (except maybe plants nowadays).

Have fun!

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 06:01:31 pm »

Body Detail Plants: the most likely thing to go wrong, the simplest way to do right, the most complex type of raw in the game (except maybe plants nowadays).

Have fun!

Ohboy.

Alright, so this is the Rutan in it's current state:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's the bodyparts
And are the primitive body detail plans I came up with:

And I'm still getting the same RUTAN:BRAIN:Unrecognized Material Token: RUTAN:Creature Tissue Material Failure: BRAIN:(no mat1):(no mat3):(no mat3) error. This remains vexing. I also get RUTAN:Unrecognized Creature Token: ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDANT_MULTIATTACK. On the upside, many things are working now that weren't before.
Pages: 1 [2]