Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Upcoming WW3 Predictions  (Read 5936 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming WW3 Predictions
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 05:04:51 am »

Okay, this inspired me to start a forum game. Each player grab a country, and battle it out (or not). Results of actions depend on how convincing you case is. (Yeah, I know, highly subjective)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 05:19:39 am »

I wouldn't assume China and Russia are even remotely de facto allies right now. What Russia is doing right now is what for China is a big Do Not Want - they are quite uncool with the idea of violating the sovereignty of a nation, mostly for self-interested reasons.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 10:14:44 am »

4) Germany, having the strongest military in NATO, has a very successful campaign in Western Europe and becomes a super-power (or close to one) again.
Strongest military in NATO ? Both France and UK have a bigger military, and US is the strongest military in NATO by a wide margin.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 11:06:27 am »

I say Switzerland is going to conquer everyone. Did you ever consider that everybody in Switzerland is a trained soldier, or that the treaty forbidding us all from building our superweapon caches was created in Geneva, Switzerland, or that Swiss banks hold much of the worlds valuables, or that the Swiss are famed for their security and discretion? They've probably got hidden mountain silos full of deadly bioweapons and nukes which they're just waiting for the right moment to use on anyone who tries to challenge the Swiss Empire! Nobody even bothers to inspect them, because they've been pretending to be all neutral for two hundred years!
I always like to remind everyone why Switzerland is seen as the go-to neutral: originally, they were neutral not because they were peaceful, but because they were warlike. They sent troops to everyone. Swiss mercenaries were famed throughout the land once upon a time, and that is why the Pope, to this day, is guarded by the Swiss Guards: they were originally the best security a person could buy. There is a reason why Swiss Armored Pikemen are the best foot soldiers in Medieval:Total War.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 11:08:57 am »

There is a reason why Swiss Armored Pikemen are the best foot soldiers in Medieval:Total War.

Which as we all know is the gold standard in historical accuracy. :p
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:56 am »

Well, we'll have WW3 once the Nazis currently living on the dark side of the moon invade. Not before.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 11:43:26 am »

4) Germany, having the strongest military in NATO, has a very successful campaign in Western Europe and becomes a super-power (or close to one) again.
Strongest military in NATO ? Both France and UK have a bigger military, and US is the strongest military in NATO by a wide margin.
Right, Germany doesn't have the strongest NATO military by far. After the US, Turkey has the strongest. France, Poland, Greece have a bigger military than Germany, if you count reservists I think Italy and Spain too. Also Germany doesn't have nukes while UK and France do.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:02 pm »

Well, we'll have WW3 once the Nazis currently living on the dark side of the moon invade. Not before.
Wrong.  It would be Space War I.  Earthlings will need to send a counter-attack against the Space Nazi threat after pushing them out of Earth by landing troops on the Moon.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:38 pm »

I think LB and CJ have it right. China gradually eclipsing the US and Russia entirely while the US continues ineffectually beating up backwater countries hunting the elusive "terrist".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:43 pm »

I think LB and CJ have it right. China gradually eclipsing the US and Russia entirely while the US continues ineffectually beating up backwater countries hunting the elusive "tourist".
Misspelling fixed.

Ainmosni

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nodding off
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

Goblins invade the kobolds to the north, elves struggle to maintain power in the east so they side with the kobolds gaining political grounds to attack the goblins.

Dwarves don't directly intervene until nice and liquored up, at which point they will expose their new super weapon.

Urist digs incompetently, dwarves drown in magma and the world explodes in update 2014 from gunpowder which was stockpiled too much too high.

Remaing survivors struggle to cope with post-apocalypticia and anarchy ensues.
Last night we danced,
Today we slept,
Tomorrow will be the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 02:50:58 pm »

Iran uses these events as cover to attack Israel and Argentina invades the Fauklands.
Hahahahahaha. We have no military to speak of.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 04:32:38 pm »

Obama finally succumbs to his secret desire and nukes Canada with uncontrolled abandon. Cue fade to black
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 06:07:24 pm »

1) Russia and China ally bringing along North Korea.
Why? Why would China turn its back on the USA? Do you know how much money the States owes China? They want to collect the interest on that debt. If they declare war, the US has pretty good cause to stop paying without people loosing all trust in the USD. China will not go against its debt slave in the foreseeable future.

2) The US is the first country to attack one of those countries and is also the first country to make a huge blunder costing a lot of soldiers. The US tries to blame it on a NATO country.
Technically the first strike has already been made by Russia. While it is fun to say "Lolmerica will charge in and mess everything up!" it is a pretty long shot.

3) North Korea nukes either Japan or South Korea.
Believe it or not launching a nuke isn't an instant kill, as both these nations have anti-ballistic missiles in range. Dropping one in by plane would be even harder. NKs rocket program is a joke, so they could launch their nukes all they like, the only fallout will be the massive land force that washed over their nation.

How does having a strong military = become super power? Unless they are planning to use that military power to annex somebody, the upkeep costs are counter productive.

5) The UK, Sweden and the US Alaska are invaded.
Alaska maybe. The UK would require getting past all of Europe, and I wish Putin all the best with that, but it will never happen. Sweden by a stretch, if that was for some reason a very significant target, but I understand the focus would be on any non-Russia country with a large amount of ethnic Russians. Sweden for the Swedes!

6) Russia is nuked at least 3 times.
Why do you even get these figures? By whom? Why? When? This is the least useful prediction so far.

7) North Korea is the first to use nukes, the US the second, Russia the third, China the last.
Does NK even have nukes? As in ones that count for more than a high school physics project? Also how about UK, France, India, how about Israel?

(These may annoy you, insult your intelligence, or bother you. Correct me on any facts(?) I may have gotten wrong :D)
What facts? These are predictions, far flung from facts.

I personally predict economic warfare on Russia, they give in and pull out of Ukraine pretty quickly, the only question that remains is whether Ukraine itself stays whole or splits.

EDIT:
We'll see how Putin reacts in the next few weeks. Putin is a very odd duck, because he's very likely one of the most levelheaded and intelligent leaders in the world right now, and competent evil is in many ways scarier than chaotic and stupid evil- remember the Second World War, when the British high command eventually stopped making attempts on Hitler's life because he'd be replaced with somebody who knew what they were doing. However, it also probably means he'll be more responsive to negotiation.
Why do people think Putin is competent? What has he ever done to merit the terms "levelheaded and intelligent", he gained popularity through pandering to nationalistic and religious ideals, rather than actual economic or diplomatic management. Is it because he isn't Margret Thatcher George Bush Tony Abbott? I think we just have low standards.

During Putins first session as president, he pretty much turned Russia and its economy around, pretty much instantly.

No one really knows how the hell he pulled it off.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:25 pm »

Oil price increase that by magic arrived at the right time? Same as Chavez in many ways.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4