Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how do you fletch a bow?  (Read 2493 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do you fletch a bow?
« on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:00 pm »

im not expecting to make a triple-recurve-composite longbow +2, but id like to know how to carve a branch into something that can launch a stick at something else

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: how do you fletch a bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:34:36 pm »

... I don't think fletch means what you think it means. Fletching refers to doing the whole feathering the arrow thing, and related activities.

That said, this appears to be a guide for fletching! Which involves arrows. Not the actual bows.

This might get you started on actually carving a bow. There would appear to be plenty of google hits for this kinda' stuff, though, so don't be afraid to ask search engines as you run into stuff you don't understand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »

... I don't think fletch means what you think it means. Fletching refers to doing the whole feathering the arrow thing, and related activities.

That said, this appears to be a guide for fletching! Which involves arrows. Not the actual bows.

This might get you started on actually carving a bow. There would appear to be plenty of google hits for this kinda' stuff, though, so don't be afraid to ask search engines as you run into stuff you don't understand.

ááááyyyyyyyyyy äíght

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:05:44 pm »

gnome42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:52 pm »

Authentic or just something to launch a small object around for giggles?

Authentic, you need to find some wood that stays nice and springy after it is dried.  ( Yew was popular for a long time, still is in some circles ).
once the glues existed, laminates started getting used. ( possibly more effort than you want to engage in, maybe not. )

If you are after the more giggle side of things, then any good stout wood could be used for the "bow"  ( oak, hedge, maple, walnut. pine could be questionable, depends on the size of the piece ), then track down some bungy cord, or the old standby, surgical tubing. 
You get your flex from the cord/tubing, not the wood.  ( so you could also substitute almost anything for the frame, as long as it won't snap when stressed )

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 11:08:33 pm »

Authentic, you need to find some wood that stays nice and springy after it is dried.  ( Yew was popular for a long time, still is in some circles ).
Typically, you want to use a younger tree, and use live wood, for more flexibility, I believe.

The verb for bow-making is carve, by the way. Or shape, if you're an elf.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:58 am »

Laminating a bow is going to be far, far more work than you want. Make a self-bow first, and then decide whether you are sufficiently besotted.

You want to start with a stave that you can bend to somewhere around 45 degrees, but that returns to straight very quickly. If you're not trying to make an awesome bow, the wood isn't too hard to find. It must be at least a reasonable approximation of straight, should not have very many offshoots (no large ones if at all possible), and I suggest you make it about 5' long.

I've seen carving a bow referred to as 'tillering' quite a lot; to do this, start by stripping off all the shoots and all the bark on the 'belly' (side of the bow that faces you). Leave the bark on the 'back'; it provides additional strength. You then want to shave wood off the belly to make it slope towards the tips; the tips should be the narrowest part. Periodically, bend the bow around your feet/a post/something or get a friend to do it, such that you can pull on the ends whilst it's supported in the middle and look at the curve. It is generally accepted that a modern bow should have a roughly D-shaped cross section; The tips should bend more than the middle.

When you are happy with the tiller of your bow, you can either carve nocks into the tips themselves (if there's enough wood) or you can make nocks from short pieces of tubing; historically, horn nocks were used. Your nocks should slope toward the middle of the bow, so that the string doesn't slip out. If you used tubing, you'll have to glue your nocks on somehow, I don't know if there's a special technique or not. The nocks must open on to the back, for reasons that should be obvious. As well as carving nocks, you can wrap a length of string around the middle of your bow to act as a handle.

Your bowstring needs to be fairly thin (2-3mm diameter), but strong, or it's likely to snap. This is an excellent time to learn to tie a bowline knot; the name says it all. The string should be slightly shorter than your bow, so that you have to bend the bow to string it. To do the actual stringing, slip both ends of the line over the end of the bow, hook one end into a nock, run the other down to the other end, bend the bow and slip it in to the other nock. When finished using the bow, always unstring it; it will prevent the bow from 'following the string' too much, which means that it'll stay straight and powerful for longer.

For arrows, I favour 8mm wooden dowel rod cut to the appropriate length for the bow. To fletch it, I first cut the nock with a tenon saw, and then take a sharp knife and make a 2-3 inch split from the base of the nock. If you don't have feathers, paper can work as a temporary fletch. You will, however, get paper cuts when shooting. If you are using feathers, cut a chevron shaped piece out of your feather and carefully glue it into the split. You want about 5mm between the end of the nock and the start of the fletch. Tie a short piece of string tightly around the gap between fletch and nock, and let dry.

This is a good time to weight the arrowhead; I don't like using pointed arrows in my back garden, so I either carefully hammer a short nail into the tip, or wrap 5 turns of 1.5mm (Your guess is as good as mine for gauge) wire around the shaft an inch back from the tip. I then wrap a few turns of electrical tape around the wire or tip, to hold it fast or prevent splitting.

You are now ready to shoot! Which you should do in one of the following manners if you do not wish to bring shame upon your house.

1. Grasp the bow firmly by the handle with your dominant hand. Nock your arrow, and hook your index and middle fingers around the string on either side of it. You should be pulling back on the string, allowing the arrow to follow. To draw the bow, step forward and lean into the bow whilst holding your non-dominant hand next to your shoulder (or as far back as you can pull it, with your dominant arm at full stretch). Release the arrow, aiming at a safe target. There should be no windows, people or animals in a 45 degree arc in front of you while you learn! Your release and aim just need to be practiced or researched until they get better.

2. As above, but grasp the bow in your non-dominant hand, and instead of stepping forward and leaning, simply pull back and release with your dominant hand. This is the more common of the two draws.

I'm not going to get into the Asian draw here, because for one thing I don't know how to use it, and for another it strikes me as less beginner-friendly than the above.

Congratulations, if you lived through the wall of text you know everything you need to become an archer with all the Arx-branded mistakes! By which I mean, caveat lector.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 07:50:59 am »

I wanted to make a bow in the US, but I ran out of time plus I didn't have the right tools for the job :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 07:55:41 am »

I wanted to make a bow in the US, but I ran out of time plus I didn't have the right tools for the job :(
I use a penknife. No special tools needed! Although a draw knife and a tillering jig/press would be nice.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:06:33 am »

Yes, and the point is I didn't have a penknife, nor a draw knife, nor a tillering press :P

The only thing I had was a craft knife (the extensible one you break segments off) and a tiny saw. I did have some strong string! The wood I had was kinda bad though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:59 am »

Yes, and the point is I didn't have a penknife, nor a draw knife, nor a tillering press :P
Ah. I tend to assume everyone has a penknife or knife of some kind somewhere. I can see how using a craft knife would be a challenge!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 12:58:55 pm »

-snip of experience-

* Avis takes notes with an air of reverence!
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 05:29:05 pm »

I've heard you should never "dry fire" a bow, which means pulling and releasing the string without an arrow to fire. It causes damage, possibly invisible, in the bow itself and may result in horrific breakage and face-shrapnel.

As an alternative to cheap, unlicensed, untraceable mayhem: try slings! Not a slingshot, but a sling made from woven thread.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37:19 pm »

im having trouble stringing this abomination. the only material i have is yarn and i have no clue how to do it
Pages: [1] 2