Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210829 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1305 on: April 10, 2019, 03:10:46 pm »

Can't recall which one, but I actually find one of the goblin polearm to be excellent archer secondaries since they are light and can be pulled out and used in one turn even without quick hands.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: April 10, 2019, 04:47:55 pm »

Can't recall which one, but I actually find one of the goblin polearm to be excellent archer secondaries since they are light and can be pulled out and used in one turn even without quick hands.
You're thinking about the jagged pike which is the only polearm which can inflict bleeding and it's attack only requires 5 ap which isn't further reduced by polearm mastery. https://battlebrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Jagged_Pike

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: April 10, 2019, 05:01:11 pm »

Yeah, that one. I find it well worthwhile to fight small groups of goblin ambushers to get those, if I can.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 09, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »

The new Warriors of the North is out now for those of you who've been waiting for it! Looking forward to checking it out after work tonight.

Battle Brothers base game is 50% off on Steam today due to the DLC being released. Good time to pick it up if you've been thinking about it.
Come play Mafia with us!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 09, 2019, 03:13:11 pm »

It's 55% on GMG if you are logged in. Decided to get the base game.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 09, 2019, 09:29:43 pm »

The latest update/DLC for the game introduces a starting scenario selection with some very diverse options. Since I'm an idiot and glutton for punishment I decided my first run in the new game would be with the Lone Wolf start, the only one marked with three skulls.

Holy shit is it fun. It really makes you focus on positioning and fatigue management. It took me a good three or four missions to get to what I'd call a comfortable starting position in the game previously. Also gotta say the two handed rock sling is gods damned amazing. My bro using it has brained three bandits and two zombies with it outright so far. I have three other bros acting as melee fodder to protect the slinger and draw some attention from the tankbro you start with. I suggest getting two bros as soon as you start. No need to splurge on equipment for them, especially since you don't have much cash to start with. They're just there to provide easy targets for your starterbro, who I spec for evasion and melee combat. I set my starting three in a V formation, with the slinger (the only equipment I bought since both bros I hired had ranged focuses) in the back protected by a spearbro and the tankbro. Spearwall helps keep enemies at bay or funnel them towards the tankbro while he cuts 'em down like wheat before a scythe. If they're not debrained by the slinger slingin' stones first.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 10, 2019, 05:39:05 am »

The varied starts spice the game up a fair bit. I started as a cultist of Dakvul. Apparently my non-cultist brothers don't like when I sacrifice one of them to the Gods. Every time it happens most, if not all of the non-cultists quit. So my strategy has been to hire a bunch of low cost guys while my core group of cultists grows slowly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 10, 2019, 09:08:10 am »

I've started off with the Beast Slayers start. It's pretty fun, though surprisingly hard at the start since your guys all start with poor morale and the archer has an actual injury so he's less useful than he should be for a while. The increased shop costs also suck. But the increase in drops from beasts has helped a bit, and you start with some beast parts you can sell for quick cash.

Not terribly different from a normal start otherwise, I suppose. But I'm enjoying it. And my one fight with Barbarians so far was interesting. They hit hard! Fortunately I was just helping some milita dudes fight them so they weren't hitting my guys too much.
Come play Mafia with us!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 10, 2019, 11:28:04 am »

After several short failed Iron Man, Lone Wolf starts decided to tone things down a bit and go for the peasant militia start, because who doesn't like a good swarm?

Got a few lucky battles to begin, including one against a pack of Nachzehrer that probably should have gone MUCH worse, and am now getting a few pieces of gear for my poor Sons of Armok. (The starting equipment begins pretty light, some don't event get a weapon!) - Having 12 bodies at the start (even poorly trained ones) definitely has it's advantages, though I wonder if they'll stay competitive down the line when barely any of them have even 1 star in their melee/ranged stats.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 10, 2019, 11:55:12 am »

My guess is you'll need to look for super-star farmers and militia dudes, train them up in the back line with polearms, and eventually rotate them in to be two-hander slayers to keep going later on. Weaker dudes are probably just shield line fodder, maybe even specced to focus on defense more than offense. I assume you can still get hunters, so at least your archer line should be solid once you can afford them.
Come play Mafia with us!

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 11, 2019, 02:53:09 am »

I tried the game, and got quite hooked. It's like a mix of Cannon Fodder, Banner Saga and Mount & Blade. However, not sure if it will keep me interested in the long run. It kind of lacks complexity. In M&B you had different paths forward and so on. DLCs seem to add replayability though, but the pricing is on Paradox levels, and it's hard to assess content/how much work was required.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

sokmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 11, 2019, 09:08:16 am »

If you want to add complexity, there is a mod called Battle Brothers Legends, it changed the game for me quite a bit.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 11, 2019, 10:00:06 am »

Intriguing. I might check that out.
Long as it doesn’t add wizards
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 11, 2019, 10:10:19 am »

Long as it doesn’t add wizards

It does add spell casting classes.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 11, 2019, 02:59:31 pm »

not sure if it will keep me interested in the long run

In response to this I'll say that personally all 369 hours I've got clocked on steam have been unique and interesting, and every DLC has added more than enough to bring me back into the game on the few occasions I took a break (to play other games for variety, not because I got bored). With these new starting scenarios, if you're into roleplaying and not metagame min/maxing everything all the time (no judgements here either way) I figure you can get plenty of time out of this now.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 98