Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211030 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #915 on: March 05, 2017, 03:39:47 am »

Aye, crossbows are great at knocking down enemy armor. If you don't move, you can actually SPEARwall AND SHIELDwall simultaneously. Set a funnel up and they'll ram against your spears.

Half the time, I get 3-6 kills just from the idiots running at my V-shaped spearwall. :P Problem is when you have a necromancer... :| Then, you're going to want to sent your ranged units to execute them ASAP, or you're in for a precious slice of hell on Earth.

Now, Necrosavants... *sigh* They infuriate me. Have to fight 7 at the same time for a mission and I cannot for the life of me actually survive. Thing is, the damn location has a legendary armor piece I desperately want. Hnnng!
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 05, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »

I think I've just seen my favorite bit of flavor text for a cripple (probably paraphrased a bit, since I don't have it in front of me): "On the plus side, if he ever comes back from the dead, it should be easy enough to put him back down."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 06, 2017, 05:26:42 am »

*Slow claps* ...And that is what sets this game a level above its competitors.
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »

*Slow claps* ...And that is what sets this game a level above its competitors.

What competitors? :P

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:44 pm »

so, I think I have a bug report.
Do mercs get a bad thought from being assigned to reserves when healthy?
in fact I don't think I've ever seen that happen.

Also a feature request: can we add swinging a sword into 3 arbitrary hexes (even if one of them doesn't have an enemy).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another weird thing is how people with polearms can't attack down 2 levels of height (but they can attack 2 whole hexes away.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:36:11 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:56 pm »

Another weird thing is how people with polearms can't attack down 2 levels of height (but they can attack 2 whole hexes away.)

It depends. Sometimes the total height difference is too pronounced, and that prevents (melee) attacks.

I've had instances of two adjacent units being unable to fight each other presumably because their height levels were too different.

By the way, it seems another update's out, but it's only bugfixes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 06, 2017, 05:17:03 pm »

It depends. Sometimes the total height difference is too pronounced, and that prevents (melee) attacks.

I've had instances of two adjacent units being unable to fight each other presumably because their height levels were too different.
Yes, that's true. it's actually a difference of more than 1 level (so 2 levels or more) but I always assumed that it was because they were too far below to conveniently hit (conversely stabbing someone in the foot is painful, but but not really life threatening, so you also wouldn't do that.) My remark was that for people with pikes and billhooks that shouldn't be a concern.

Also here's another odd this:
I know those aren't total opposites (one caravan, from one town is unlikely to totally supply them in all necessary goods) but you'd think those would cancel out.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 07, 2017, 12:04:34 am »

I can attest that negative morale from being in the reserve IS active. I've experienced it in my main game.

Speaking of negative morale:

After 156 days, 59 battles, and 52 kills, my best man - one of the original Trinity companions - has been slain during a full-scale war between noble houses.

Reynhardt Wolfe, Widowmaker, you shall be avenged!

Your killer, Sir Wenzel of House Ruhmolt, has been beheaded by your very brothers sooner after he cut you down.

Justice, better late than never, has been duly served.

We will surely miss your presence on the battlefield. In more ways that you might imagine.

Note to self: now I understand why I need warhammers. Dear Gods do I desperately need warhammers.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 07, 2017, 12:09:42 am »

Logistically, those co-existing modifiers *do* make sense.

One, Well-Supplied, follows the arrival of a proper trade caravan that bolsters the village's stock and wealth.

The second, short supply, is due to further / other trade caravans being raided.

At first, short supply is more of a morale hit, due to the very real problem of slow resupply in medieval times. Its not until supplies begin to physically dwindle that short supply becomes a full-blown mess.

So, you can have just received a great stock of armor, weapons, and goods, but the subsequent caravans were raided, meaning people are rightfully freaking out over your current stocks being all you will have for a possibly considerable timeframe.

Kind of like how people go nuts during hurricanes and other natural disasters by buying up otherwise well-stocked supplies en-masse, creating an artificial scarcity by imbalancing regulated supply with excess demand.

Because people.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 07, 2017, 12:42:09 am »

Ah, classic humans, of which I am one!

Having an issue right now getting contracts my guys can do without getting merc'd. We're not quite ready to take on most two skull contracts after the first one we took to test the waters saw us also ambushed by orcs on the way back from the mission. Wouldn't have been problems separately, but together I lost too many dudes and was already short on money, what with the contracts also seemingly paying out less while simultaneously being more difficult to negotiate. I don't want to retire and start anew, I've recovered from worse before. That was in past versions though, and I'm worried that the new changes might make it harder to claw back up from beyond the precipice of annihilation, which is also a pretty good name for a band.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:46:40 am by Man of Paper »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 07, 2017, 01:41:49 am »

Hmm, try relocating to another area. I've noted different regions spawn entirely different types of mobs as a general standard, and some areas give much safer quests than the alternative.

Also, tradegoods! I've made tons of gold to supplement my ridiculous 300 a day wage-cost (which makes most quests NOT profitable :|) by buying lumber, amber, sometimes even speciality foods like mead, wine, and meat, and then selling them elsewhere.

Its a big risk with the foods, since they go bad, but once you've been around enough you'll get a feel for prices and how they shift. :)

Anywhere near greenskins is going to be a pain. In my experience, bandit quests are a piece of cake, great profit, a source of gear, and potentially less lethal, even and especially early on.

I still haven't bought any armor or weapons, am around day 160-170, fighting (one of) the end game event(s), and doing pretty damn well with around 30,000 in the bank.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 07, 2017, 06:19:16 am »

Hmm, try relocating to another area. I've noted different regions spawn entirely different types of mobs as a general standard, and some areas give much safer quests than the alternative.

Also, tradegoods! I've made tons of gold to supplement my ridiculous 300 a day wage-cost (which makes most quests NOT profitable :|) by buying lumber, amber, sometimes even speciality foods like mead, wine, and meat, and then selling them elsewhere.

Its a big risk with the foods, since they go bad, but once you've been around enough you'll get a feel for prices and how they shift. :)

Anywhere near greenskins is going to be a pain. In my experience, bandit quests are a piece of cake, great profit, a source of gear, and potentially less lethal, even and especially early on.

I still haven't bought any armor or weapons, am around day 160-170, fighting (one of) the end game event(s), and doing pretty damn well with around 30,000 in the bank.

You're playing on Normal difficulty, I presume? There's widely reported balancing issues with the higher difficulty levels. Challenge ramps up too quickly and your mercs arrive to the mid-late game undergeared and underpowered, while you're thrown against ever-growing bands of increasingly advanced enemies. Reasonably paying contracts become more and more like death traps, increasingly likely to set you back through merc losses than help you move forward. Eventually you're outnumbered close to 2 to 1 by endgame foes which are equal, if not stronger, than your guys.

Normal, on the other hand, is much, much easier. Too easy for many.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 07, 2017, 06:39:48 am »

Hmm. Its been a hit or miss for me. Of my 5 or so playthroughs, 4 have been quite challenging. The main playthrough, Martyrs' Vanguard, has been a success - but only with extremely careful strategizing. I don't have any armor above 110 durability, 140 or 150 for helmets, and I'm having a hell of a time fighting enemies that are coming out fully-kitted, not to mention the special event enemies like necros, shaman, etc.

Everything I own was looted from enemies. I haven't bought a single weapon or piece of armor since I first began and got past the 40-50 durability light armor tier. It often meant running into battle woefully under-equipped, but that only forced me to play a highly defensive ambush hit&run style to my battles.

Also, bandages. Lots of bandages. Also, wardogs! And having a falcon is extremely vital to your battle strategy, so you know where they're coming from.

As they say, pick your battles wisely.

I run a full 12-man crew, primarily as a shield/spear formation.

The frontline is all spear-shields except for an axe/hammer and mace/flail (interchangeable) duo.

Its organized in a grid so I always have spear coverage, and all spearmen have the spear skill so they continue to spearwall even if an enemy bypasses the wall. long-reach weapons are a must in order to both bypass the wall, and attract enemies who will want to hit their shieldlessness - drawing them right into a trap. :) Depending on the battle, ranged characters also carry either 2-tile halberd/axes/pikes/hooks/etc, a 1H and shield, or a combination of the two.

Spear-|-2-tile long axe-|-Spear-|- 2hander / long-axe -|- spear -|-mace/flail -|- spear
        -|- 2-tile halberd-|-Cross-|- Bowman w/ wardog -|- cross -|- flagbearer-|-

Don't underestimate the flagbearer... My dude has a crazy amount of kills despite primarily huddling behind my lines trying not to get murdered. o_O

Having the 2-tile long-reachers in the corners means if the enemy tries to flank you, which definitely happens, you're in a position to angle off your spear/shield flank, place your reachers behind 'em, and take potshots while the shields tank. :)

Ps, heater shields for melee bonus, kite shields for range bonus.

I have Nine Lives on every single character I have. Its a lifesaver. *badumtss*

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 07, 2017, 06:43:08 am »

Much like DF/Rimworld and the like, it does seem like your difficulty may be very different from game to game, outside of the procedural curve of course.

Travel in my main game is a total pain. Marshes and mountains everywhere, settlements are far apart and there are ZERO friggin' harbors. Well... There's one, but its on an inaccessibly island you can't get to because there are no friggin harbors anywhere else.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:21 am »

But which difficulty level are you playing on? How often do you reload? Vital information to compare experiences.

Veteran's difficulty is just right in the early game, but later becomes too hard. Normal feels too easy, at least to me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:05:14 am by Greenbane »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 98