Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I Cut or Should I Grow ♪  (Read 3377 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I Cut or Should I Grow ♪
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:50:31 pm »

(To the tune of Should I Stay Or Should I Go)

So, as some of you know I am a guy with very long, unkempt curly hair.
Now, I definitely like having long hair. And I like my own crazy hair in some ways, too- it makes me look unique, and when it's looking good it looks really good. The problem is, that it rarely looks good, and it takes quite a bit of care and effort to make it look good and keep it that way.

Also, my hair is in pretty bad condition. As much as I love having long hair, actually taking the time to wash and comb it every day seems like a lot of work to my lazy self, and as a result it has all sorts of split ends and odd lengths etcetera, with dead broken-off bits of hair near the scalp, and seems to have mostly stopped growing.
I'm told you're supposed to trim long hair every couple of months to make it keep growing properly, which is something I've never done, either.

I could start getting it regularly trimmed now, and grow it obscenely long, but this seems like a good time to try something different.
I'm thinking of getting it chem-straightened and cut a bit shorter, to try something new now while I'm still young enough to shave it all off and grow it back before I'm all old and wrinkly. At the same time, my mess of hair is the only thing that really makes me notable, but y'know.

So, the question is (before I ramble any further): Should I just start trimming my hair as it is now, and taking better care of it to encourage it to grow, or should I get a haircut etc. and try something new, whilst I'm still young enough to re-grow seven years worth of hair without being old?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:02:18 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Cut or Should I Grow ♪
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:04:45 pm »

I think I seriously benefited from cutting off my own hair, and it was in rather better condition than you describe; I was taking relative care of it, but the half-hour of detangling every morning was getting ridiculous.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:19 pm »

Having long hair requires maintenance and effort. Longer showers, separate application of shampoo and conditioner, learning to use a straightener, not overusing the straightener, always taking longer to dry off after a shower, having to use a brush instead of a comb, occasionally being mistaken for a girl, paying more for salon haircuts, paying more for shampoo and conditioner, carrying hair ties for when you want it to not get caught in things, needing to tuck your ponytail into your jacket when riding a motorcycle to keep in from becoming a ratty mess due to wind, being annoyed every time you ride with someone who insists on keeping a window down, strands getting caught on things, inability to do certain martial arts moves because it gets in the way, having an extra grapple hold to protect, inability to grow a beard without looking like Jesus, always needing to spend a little more time on personal care and hygiene. Etc.

Don't have long hair unless you're willing to have long hair.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:04 pm »

the half-hour of detangling every morning was getting ridiculous.

Sleep with it in a ponytail even if you wear it long during the day, and use conditioner after you shampoo. The oil will make brushing the tangles out vastly easier.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:46 pm »

Hey now, I'm willing to have long hair- I definitely prefer long hair to short hair.
It's just that it's stopped looking particularly good, and I wouldn't mind trying some different hairstyles while I'm still young enough to grow my hair back to this length afterwards.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:11:38 pm »

the half-hour of detangling every morning was getting ridiculous.

Sleep with it in a ponytail even if you wear it long during the day, and use conditioner after you shampoo. The oil will make brushing the tangles out vastly easier.

The detangling was with conditioner in, in the shower. My hair is stupid curly
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 07:26:01 pm »

My hair is stupid curly

Hair straighteners work wonders. Ask a girl to teach you how to use one. You don't want to melt your hair. Regular use will encourage split ends, but there's also a cumulative over time effect. Couple times a week and your hair will be straighter even when you don't use it.

Or, go to a salon and ask for a straightening perm.

Also, can't speak from experience, but this is a thing, too.

The problem most guys with long hair have is that they were never taught how to have long hair. All girls know about these things, but parents just don't teach boys what they need to know.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:38:23 pm »

I go back and forth from shoulder length to 1.5" inches long every few years. Been doing it since I was a kid. I enjoy the sense of re-inventing yourself every once in a while. I'm amused by how differently strangers and not-strangers treat me between the two.

I just recently went GQ for a couple reasons, after having it long for 3 years or so. Weddings, job. But mostly because I'm getting older and my hair has thinned out quite a bit from where it used to be, and I think it shows a lot more when it's long (and I don't take good care of it.)

So I say screw, get it cut. Try a look you've always wanted to experiment with. I can honestly say I'm more attractive with short hair. I get way more positive attention. But long hair is what feels true to me. Still, like I said, transformations are fun, if for nothing else than the effect it has on others.

Also, if you're going to put it in ponytail at night, make sure it's dry and keep the band low on your ponytail. Otherwise it gets all mashed up and tears out near your neck while you're sleeping.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:31:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »

My hair is stupid curly

Hair straighteners work wonders. Ask a girl to teach you how to use one. You don't want to melt your hair. Regular use will encourage split ends, but there's also a cumulative over time effect. Couple times a week and your hair will be straighter even when you don't use it.

Or, go to a salon and ask for a straightening perm.

Also, can't speak from experience, but this is a thing, too.

The problem most guys with long hair have is that they were never taught how to have long hair. All girls know about these things, but parents just don't teach boys what they need to know.

The issue with these (apart from possibly the black hair product one, which isn't applicable since my hair is crazy white-person curly, not centimeter-scale-curls) is that they all damage one's hair, and, more to the point, they leave you with straight hair. The curliness of one's hair needs to be toned to that person's appearance, and flat-out straight hair looks silly as hell on me.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:39 pm »

At the same time, my mess of hair is the only thing that really makes me notable, but y'know.

This is probably why you should cut it.  Become a person who is notable for things other than hair.

be Lady Gaga no more, my son
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:00 am »

inability to grow a beard without looking like Jesus

I LOLed at this. Its so true.

As for me, I have long hair and am trying for the "trapped on a deserted island for years" look. Or at least the Hollywood version. I dislike the "metrosexual" look it seems to naturally take on.

Unfortunately so far the only way I found to get the look I want ist to actually not bath for long periods of time :(
Would not using conditioner help towards this without having the..."trapped on a desert island for years"...odor? :P

Also WHERE DO YOU EVEN FIND SHAMPOO THAT DOESN'T HAVE INTEGRATED CONDITIONER?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:38:15 am »

Health food stores.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 05:02:21 am »

Health food stores.

...The answer to this isn't every supermarket ever?
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 05:09:56 am »

be Lady Gaga no more, my son

Best. Advice. Ever.

I firmly beleive that hair is generally overrated, and shave bald at every sensible opportunity. I can vouch for how awesome it feels - nigh on zero maintenance too!
This is a blank sig.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:35:05 am »

WHERE DO YOU EVEN FIND SHAMPOO THAT DOESN'T HAVE INTEGRATED CONDITIONER?

Every grocery store.
Pages: [1] 2