Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legends Mode after start?  (Read 4760 times)

Thunderz8olt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Legends Mode after start?
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:52 pm »

Is there a way to get back into legends mode after you start a world so you can go back and read about some of the dwarfs that have migrated to your fortress? What about the legends viewer utility? Can you go back and create the xml dumps after the world has started and/or continue to update this as the world progresses?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Mode after start?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 04:11:38 pm »

yes, after one game of adv or fortress mode ends, in the screen where you start a new one (in that region) you will have the choice of adv, fortress or legends mode.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »

Not without abandoning the fort or retiring the adventurer in the save you want to look at.

The current workaround is to copy the save, abandon the save, and look at legends on the copy.

You can create XML dumps later on in the fort history, but you can't have an active fort or adventurer and be able to look at legends while that save is active.

Also, if you're using workflow (a DFhack plugin), you'll have to run a command that I forget what it is atm, to clean up the legends because it does something that makes Legends Viewer not able to read it.

Thunderz8olt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:45 pm »

Hmm thanks guys. I am not currently using workflow so I dont have to worry about that. I have heard about that workaround trick but was hoping to just read about dwarves I currently have in my fortress or maybe some of the caravan guys that come to my fort to see what they have done in their lives.

Thunderz8olt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 04:23:37 pm »

You can create XML dumps later on in the fort history, but you can't have an active fort or adventurer and be able to look at legends while that save is active.

Also, how can I create the xml dumps later in the forts history? Like after I abandon the fort?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:37:21 pm »

Also, how can I create the xml dumps later in the forts history? Like after I abandon the fort?
World gen doesn't currently run if that's what you're asking. That's the next release.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »

World gen doesn't currently run if that's what you're asking. That's the next release.

So do that mean (or do you guys think) that we will be able to read Legend-mode-information while playing (without the save/copy-workaround) when the next release is upon us?
I also think that would be a great improvment.
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »

Nope, legends mode will stay accessible between games only. It's a deliberate decision because some information is supposed to be hidden from the player. Seeing the complete history of any dwarf would make the hunt for vampires trivial, for example.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 06:49:44 am »

Nope, legends mode will stay accessible between games only. It's a deliberate decision because some information is supposed to be hidden from the player. Seeing the complete history of any dwarf would make the hunt for vampires trivial, for example.
To bad... I understand that vampires would get revealed but besides that only problem, it would really be cool if it was possible.
A "workaround" could be in the future with perhaps inns/taverns added where one could get information about the world perhaps...
Just seems stupid that everyone (interested in the history of the world and so on) has to do this copy/save-move in order to view the legend mode...and if someone wan't to find the vampire-dwarf in their fortress it's *there* to...
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:15:40 am »

There is nothing stopping people from making a copy, abandoning that one (or in the next version, retire briefly) and looking at legends mode that way, even in the next version.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:37 am »

Sure, but once you start copying save folders you're moving into cheating territory. Toady won't make that impossible, cheating is fine in a single player game, but he won't officially endorse it either.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:59 am »

True, but if you're just curious about the history of your historical migrants (rather than hunting for vampires), it's the only way.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 11:10:53 am »

Sure, but once you start copying save folders you're moving into cheating territory. Toady won't make that impossible, cheating is fine in a single player game, but he won't officially endorse it either.
I haven't had a vampire yet in a fort that wasn't already doomed, but I agree that combing through personal histories when a vampire is on the loose would be cheating.

This is more of a gameplay question, actually:
For the first time I exported all of my info for use with Legends Viewer, which would give me a static pre-embark snapshot of the world.  Would the snapshot instantly out a vampire because his/her assumed name would not be there?  Or are some migrants not historical figures anyway?

If the lack of history is revealing, I might make a suggestion that vampires assume the identity of an actual historical figure for whom they are reasonably similar.  Very unique people will just have a hard time hiding in plain sight.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:38 am »

Legends Viewer would still show the vampire, but it shows their origional name I think, not their assumed name.

There are ways to spot a vampire without diving into legends anyhow.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 11:42:28 am »

Legends Viewer would still show the vampire, but it shows their origional name I think, not their assumed name.

There are ways to spot a vampire without diving into legends anyhow.
Thanks.  I wasn't really clear in my post, but I wasn't planning to use it for vampire hunting.  Just to have some sense of the world my fort was in, and to make sure I don't align with a dead Dwarf civ or something.  My question was more hypothetical: if a migrant is NOT in Legends, then does that mean he/she is an assumed name?

So if all migrants are historical figures then my suggestion would still be for vampires to assume pre-existing identities, that way you would see a history for the migrant.  For extra awesomeness, the vampire can attack someone who really was planning to migrate then assume that identity, but that's probably several versions in the future.

"Hey, Urist McImposter, there are tales of you slaying a Giant Cave Spider with your sock when you were just a lass.  And yet for some reason you don't seem to know the first thing about fighting.  Weird, huh?  But don't worry... I'll still vote for you for mayor."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2