Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legendary +  (Read 2635 times)

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
Legendary +
« on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:18 am »

So once you get a skill to legendary, how much does it matter how higher up it goes?

Like a legendary +10 ambusher is alot better then just a legendary? or does it start becoming redundant after legendary?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:30:15 am by PlayingGood »
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary +
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:43:58 am »

Some skills, is quite redundant (like ambusher for instance) others, the difference is notable.

Super-Legendary comabt skills (specially dodger and shield-user) can make you an unstoppable god, capable of killing whole packs of demons
whitout suffering a single scratch.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:51 am »

Some skills, is quite redundant (like ambusher for instance) others, the difference is notable.

Super-Legendary comabt skills (specially dodger and shield-user) can make you an unstoppable god, capable of killing whole packs of demons

Okay thanks, i do alot of walking, instead of fast travel, and its just so easy to leave sneak on because there's no penalty after like legendary +4?
*Immortality gained!*

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:25 pm »

Unless they shoot webs :/
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:13:03 am »

Unless they shoot webs :/
Or burn you due to being made of fire.  :P
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »

In general, skills cap at Legendary+5 - beyond that point, further skill increases have no effect. This is known to be true for crafting skills, Armor User, Swimmer, and Ambusher, though it hasn't been confirmed for Shield User or for weapon skills.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:17:39 pm »

In general, skills cap at Legendary+5 - beyond that point, further skill increases have no effect. This is known to be true for crafting skills, Armor User, Swimmer, and Ambusher, though it hasn't been confirmed for Shield User or for weapon skills.

okay thanks, exactly what i wanted to know :)
*Immortality gained!*

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 12:01:53 am »

Skill levels cap at 3000, which is Legendary+2985. The difference in levels does matter for fighting skills, though its importance decreases as your skill levels go up; once you hit Legendary+2500 and have Superior Agility, extra 500 levels won't help you against someone with a Legendary+2000 skill and Superhuman Agility. You pretty much become an unstoppable god at Legendary+50, so there's little reason to go any higher.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 04:04:21 am »

Skill levels cap at 3000, which is Legendary+2985. The difference in levels does matter for fighting skills, though its importance decreases as your skill levels go up; once you hit Legendary+2500 and have Superior Agility, extra 500 levels won't help you against someone with a Legendary+2000 skill and Superhuman Agility. You pretty much become an unstoppable god at Legendary+50, so there's little reason to go any higher.

wow thanks for the info,

do,
fighting skills include;
all weapon skills
fighting
shield?
armor user?
dodge?

so a legendary +5 ambusher has the exact same chance to be spotted as a legendary +50 ambusher?
*Immortality gained!*

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 06:38:25 am »

Just tested it, and Ambusher isn't capped at +5. It works by comparing your Ambusher skill to the enemy's Observer skill. Because of that, a level 65(Legendary+50) Ambusher is significantly harder to detect than a level 20(Legendary+5) Ambusher.

When the player is the ambusher, a level 30 Observer can't detect a level 3000 Ambusher even when the ambusher in question is fully engaged in the process of slowly, methodically breaking every bone in their body. A level 3000 Observer, however, can detect a level 3000 Ambusher from 3 tiles away.

When under AI control, attacking ambushers are hard-coded to "spring from ambush" with their first attack, so being more adept at Ambushing than is necessary to land the first hit undetected has no utility for NPCs. Even if they're ranged fighters.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:41:13 am by HmH »

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 02:23:07 pm »

do,
fighting skills include;
all weapon skills
fighting
shield?
armor user?
dodge?

Weapon skills and fighter both increase your chances of hitting something. If that something has high dodge skill, which decreases its chances of being hit, you'll want high weapon and fighter skills to counter it. So basically, the significance of fighter and weapon skills is proportional to the dodge skill of whatever you're fighting. Blocking is something I've yet to really experiment with, but I think that the probability of an enemy landing a hit gets lower and lower the higher the skill level but never reaches zero. I do know you want to get past legendary, though; I've had my hands cut off enough to know that. Armor user only effects how much the weight of worn armor slows you down. Once you get it to a certain point, it won't have any effect. I don't know what level that is though.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 03:39:18 pm »

Just tested it, and Ambusher isn't capped at +5. It works by comparing your Ambusher skill to the enemy's Observer skill. Because of that, a level 65(Legendary+50) Ambusher is significantly harder to detect than a level 20(Legendary+5) Ambusher.

When the player is the ambusher, a level 30 Observer can't detect a level 3000 Ambusher even when the ambusher in question is fully engaged in the process of slowly, methodically breaking every bone in their body. A level 3000 Observer, however, can detect a level 3000 Ambusher from 3 tiles away.

When under AI control, attacking ambushers are hard-coded to "spring from ambush" with their first attack, so being more adept at Ambushing than is necessary to land the first hit undetected has no utility for NPCs. Even if they're ranged fighters.

damn... i had a legendary +25 ambusher, he was a necromancer, and drowned trying to cross a ocean channel, i had thought necro's didn't need to breath.

So its back to sneaking everywhere for awhile :), which is fine actually, because it avoids ambushes all together.

thanks for the info

do,
fighting skills include;
all weapon skills
fighting
shield?
armor user?
dodge?

Weapon skills and fighter both increase your chances of hitting something. If that something has high dodge skill, which decreases its chances of being hit, you'll want high weapon and fighter skills to counter it. So basically, the significance of fighter and weapon skills is proportional to the dodge skill of whatever you're fighting. Blocking is something I've yet to really experiment with, but I think that the probability of an enemy landing a hit gets lower and lower the higher the skill level but never reaches zero. I do know you want to get past legendary, though; I've had my hands cut off enough to know that. Armor user only effects how much the weight of worn armor slows you down. Once you get it to a certain point, it won't have any effect. I don't know what level that is though.

haha, yeah the nerves and chopping off of limbs is brutal, one of my first big fights ever, i got hit in the foot by a elf wielding a spear, a nerve was severed and i couldn't walk anymore.... game over lol.

Thanks for the info, fighter skill seems to be easy to level up, but it takes some effort leveling a weapon skill up. Might try to become a necromancer early and keep killing and resurrecting stuff for extra exps.
*Immortality gained!*

kuudou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:52 pm »

If only.

I had one such adventurer die to a named goblin corpse. Apparently zombies are insanely strong, especially if they were legendary in life (the strength compounds, I guess?). That adventurer has made short work of Dragons and Rocs simply by chucking Steel bolts into them, and have accumulated 1300 notable kills of various kinds (except for mummies, because curses). But this one goblin zombie simply punched him in his fully armored arm and that sent him flying, skidding against the ground, tearing the nerves in both lower legs. The goblin corpse then advanced on him and delivered a series of blows without ever letting him take one turn to retaliate. Until his skull got caved in and presumably was then eaten.

It was bewildering and terrifying at the same time.

I have since then refrained from engaging zombies at a melee capacity. It seems like chucking unsharpened rocks into them is the safest and most effective way of dealing with the Undead.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:18:20 am »

Headshoot had a dwarf with Legendary +83 or something like that misc. object user.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:25:25 pm »

Headshoot had a dwarf with Legendary +83 or something like that misc. object user.
Headshoots happened in version 0.28.181.40d, back before Misc. Object User ever existed - HolisticDetective and Nemo2342 were Wrestlers.

Also, my point about Ambusher applied to its ability to speed you up when sneaking, and I think that one actually tops off at Legendary+0 rather than Legendary+5.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2