Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game is moving...

too fast for me. Contracts should be longer, more drawn out.
- 0 (0%)
at just the right pace. Keep doing what you're doing
- 4 (66.7%)
too slowly. There's too much time where not much is happening
- 2 (33.3%)
slowly at times, quickly at others. (Explain what you mean)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost  (Read 27622 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost
« Reply #315 on: June 27, 2014, 04:17:53 pm »

What follows is truly a spoiler; it contains information regarding the larger continent upon which the Altera Valley exists. Details are left out such that it will not provide any information that would likely effect the way anyone plays their characters, but it does contain general information which your characters would not know. If you would like a more detailed version I would be happy to provide it, on the condition you swear a solemn oath not to metagame. I just want to give you guys a chance to see the general direction the human race is headed. :)
Can ghosts metagame, or are they considered characters too?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »

What follows is truly a spoiler; it contains information regarding the larger continent upon which the Altera Valley exists. Details are left out such that it will not provide any information that would likely effect the way anyone plays their characters, but it does contain general information which your characters would not know. If you would like a more detailed version I would be happy to provide it, on the condition you swear a solemn oath not to metagame. I just want to give you guys a chance to see the general direction the human race is headed. :)
Can ghosts metagame, or are they considered characters too?
Ghosts should, in general, avoid A) directly impacting another character of the same player, and B) actions which would require me to post information which would give the mercenaries information which they should not be privy to yet.

The second one is really the more problematic one: if I let a ghost run all over the continent, when I describe it to them it would reveal a wealth of information to the mercenaries, when they are intended to discover that for themselves.

A great example of this is the Burning Sea. If a ghost were to survey it they would likely learn all of the details necessary to exit the valley, and by them learning the other characters would know. Whereas the mercenaries right now would have to be terribly clever, and spend quite a bit of money, to find a way to figure that challenge out without quite a few deaths.

I hope this makes sense/answers your questions. If you can think of a way around this problem I'm open to it.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 27, 2014, 04:36:31 pm »

Well if the ghosts enter spoiler territory then you could PM their turns and they could PM their actions. They could also be treated like the antagonists from Enchanters of the Shrouded River Delta If course that would still require the ghosts to maintain an honor system about metagaming but that still greatly decreases the chance. Also, I would like a more detailed thing as my characters either cannot speak or are not largely involved in conflict/exploration. Please PM. Also, if my ghost discovers something can I try to communicate it to non-me players?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:38:54 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:19 pm »

You could also just mess with perspectives. They're ghosts, so they're not exactly great at seeing the material realm. You could plant alternate scenes from the past or something, and that way we wouldn't be able to trust the ghost information in the mercenary situations.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 27, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »

Well if the ghosts enter spoiler territory then you could PM their turns and they could PM their actions. They could also be treated like the antagonists from Enchanters of the Shrouded River Delta If course that would still require the ghosts to maintain an honor system about metagaming but that still greatly decreases the chance. Also, I would like a more detailed thing as my characters either cannot speak or are not largely involved in conflict/exploration. Please PM. Also, if my ghost discovers something can I try to communicate it to non-me players?
I'll send you a description if people don't ask for one to be made available here.

You can probably communicate simple information, anything too complex and the roll will approach impossible.

I don't think I want to PM turns, mostly because I want the information from a turn to be accessible to the entire group, or anyone reading this for fun, at least eventually. How is it handled in Enchanters? I haven't read it...

You could also just mess with perspectives. They're ghosts, so they're not exactly great at seeing the material realm. You could plant alternate scenes from the past or something, and that way we wouldn't be able to trust the ghost information in the mercenary situations.
I might consider that. You could run into the other tribal races, but once you approach any super specific information I can just make everything get garbled. The one thing that has to be relevant for ghosts, but represents a spoiler risk, is knowledge about different crystals. How should I handle that?
My Area

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 27, 2014, 04:56:06 pm »

I might consider that. You could run into the other tribal races, but once you approach any super specific information I can just make everything get garbled. The one thing that has to be relevant for ghosts, but represents a spoiler risk, is knowledge about different crystals. How should I handle that?
Quantum magic. Crystals exist in two states at once.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 27, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

Erm, I really enjoy quantum physics, but you'll have to explain a tiny bit.
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 27, 2014, 05:00:17 pm »

I'll send you a description if people don't ask for one to be made available here.

You can probably communicate simple information, anything too complex and the roll will approach impossible.

I don't think I want to PM turns, mostly because I want the information from a turn to be accessible to the entire group, or anyone reading this for fun, at least eventually. How is it handled in Enchanters? I haven't read it...
In Enchanters they had a Quicktopic that the antagonists as well as people who swore they didn't want to make a character were allowed access to and the players had no knowledge of what was going on aside from things that directly influenced them (such as the fay driving away all the animals and causing tree branches to whap them {although they didn't know that the fey did it} or in our case dream messages etc.)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »

Erm, I really enjoy quantum physics, but you'll have to explain a tiny bit.
Essentially, crystals transcend existence, so you can write whatever you want about them and then redact it later, because maaagic. Oscillation between multiple states of reality with different properties.

Never underestimate the power of continuity loopholes.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:29 pm »

So, what I'm hearing, naturally from our two ghosts, is that you want a way to explore the valley at large, and want to make some system work that limits the sensitive information that makes it back to the mercenaries.

Given how much you want to make this work, I'm thinking I'll just post ghost turns in spoilers, with the understanding that metagaming is not approved, and penalize any action that obviously relies on knowledge that would have only been in the spoilers.
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2014, 05:26:07 pm »

Seems fair. What about inferences from ghost action posts?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 27, 2014, 05:26:16 pm »

Aww, but that's not devious at all!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:29 pm »

Aww, but that's not devious at all!
Secret code and subtlety only make sense if I don't let a single player have both a mercenary and a ghost. :P

Seems fair. What about inferences from ghost action posts?
Those too, probably anything overly suspicious I'll just ask why their character would want to do that, requiring some reasonable explanation of motive. Mostly I trust you guys to not do anything metagamey.
My Area

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:37 pm »

As a GM, I find your lack of desire to mess with the players and feast upon their tears deplorable :P.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

As a GM, I find your lack of desire to mess with the players and feast upon their tears deplorable :P.
It is a great fault of my games that they tend to be rather honest. :)
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24