Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This game is moving...

too fast for me. Contracts should be longer, more drawn out.
- 0 (0%)
at just the right pace. Keep doing what you're doing
- 4 (66.7%)
too slowly. There's too much time where not much is happening
- 2 (33.3%)
slowly at times, quickly at others. (Explain what you mean)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost  (Read 27646 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll for Hire - OOC - Room for a Ghost
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2014, 11:49:57 am »

Interesting. Does that mean there are skills to resist bismuth bronze? I think I'm probably going to be a mage/anti-mage hybrid with a few levels in control for communication purposes. Is that a realistic build? It would also be cool to have some skills related to finding things like both my characters try to.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2014, 12:15:35 pm »

On a different note, where do ghosts come from?

And maybe ghosts can only gain about twice as much power as they did in life? Like, a peasant may be able to be above average as a ghost but a hero who became one is near godlike.
Here's my though on origins. Every person is a ghost temporarily after death, but most of them have so little motivation to do anything that they fade away into nothingness/afterlife (again dependent on religion lore).

That makes sense to me. Skill in life will also impact skill as ghost. You get a slight stat knockdown, and some skill loss, but you'll hang on to some of them. Will also give characters who die (which should happen soon ish) a chance to hang on if they want. Although I think race changes will require creating a whole new character. There is still the class creation system to advance characters after death.

I like doing this. Its the fun creative part. :)

Interesting. Does that mean there are skills to resist bismuth bronze? I think I'm probably going to be a mage/anti-mage hybrid with a few levels in control for communication purposes. Is that a realistic build? It would also be cool to have some skills related to finding things like both my characters try to.
Skills can offer limited resistance to bismuth bronze. Large amounts of high purity alloy will stop any ghost, regardless of development, in its tracks. Low purity alloy or small amounts can be resisted with skills.

That is fairly realistic. Keep in mind that because of the skill advancing/skill combining, and the class making system, branching out will slow effective growth some. There will be skills outside of those main tracks. Really I write skills based off of what your character does. If you do a lot of something, you'll get skilled at it.

My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 21, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »

By the way, the reason the turn is taking longer than expected is because I hadn't yet rolled you luck roll. And it wasn't good. :)
My Area

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 21, 2014, 12:36:32 pm »

Do ghosts of different races function differently?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »

Do ghosts of different races function differently?
Original stats will be different. Any ghost is only familiar with the body of its own race, and so the individuals who can be potentially possessed will be different. There may also be bonuses or penalties to communication and the like. Some races, especially tribal ones, may be especially receptive or communicative with their ghosts.
My Area

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »

How can ghosts interact, other than seeing other and talking? Can we fight with magic or hand to hand?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2014, 12:48:26 pm »

How can ghosts interact, other than seeing other and talking? Can we fight with magic or hand to hand?
Magic, yes. Not hand to hand, unless both are to a point where they have a limited manifest presence. For the most part you pass through each other.
My Area

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2014, 01:26:09 pm »

Yay, I'm fulfilling my party role!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 21, 2014, 01:28:30 pm »

Yay, I'm fulfilling my party role!
Yeah, all of that armor on one person turned out to be a good investment. That last turn would have had a very different outcome without it.
My Area

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 21, 2014, 01:28:48 pm »

I hope I get super lucky on this roll. It should be... interesting.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 21, 2014, 01:29:27 pm »

You owe me for helping you!

Which reminds me, I'd like to see what's in those flasks, and would pay to identify them out of my own cash, if I get to keep them.

(If I manage to hit something for once. Pretty sure my only kill so far is a rodent.)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2014, 01:39:04 pm »

Working on the next turn. It's a fun one. :) Will be done later. Going to the beach now.

And, of course, after scap posts.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:46:13 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

You're all in luck. THe beach was taken over for a triathlon. Back to writing. :)
My Area

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2014, 07:20:12 pm »

... Just curious, how valuable was all the competition loot that we left completely untouched?

Edit: Oh, apparently we took that. Nevermind.

(I looked back and I apparently have not killed a single thing, although I did cripple two thugs.

Later Edit: My knives are both small items, correct? Is the Bone Dagger a small item?)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 12:11:53 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »

Turn mostly written, will probably post it either early tomorrow or late tonight. Sorta wanna give scap a chance to change his action.

Goals this weekend (if my other hobbies don't consume too much time):
Traveler's Guide to Altera (Every City and Town listed with points of interest, any particularly notable villages, etc.)
Lore section on demographics
Lore section on religion

Feel free to add to this list.

Also, 56 hours until I'm forced to let Remuthra wreak havoc in spectral form.
Traveler's Guide is posted.

Have ghost development sketched out a little further, not going to post skill trees or anything since skills show up rather organically, and I'm likely to change them over time.

The other two lore sections are still being written. Religion is going to be minimal atm, but I think I'm going to write it so our mercenaries are living at a time of reemergence in religion. This gives them the chance to have the most impact on religion, as well as make the most choices. Likely the first lore section will be very short, and future ones will detail the natures of specific cults/pantheons/gods. I know this: I'm going to use the idea of charismata as a way for gods to give gifts to those who work for them. More on that later. :)

Demographics was sort of included in the travelers section, so I may take that in a slightly new direction. Trying to decide if I want there to be noble houses or if guilds sort of fill that niche.

Any thoughts are welcome :)

... Just curious, how valuable was all the competition loot that we left completely untouched?

Edit: Oh, apparently we took that. Nevermind.

(I looked back and I apparently have not killed a single thing, although I did cripple two thugs.

Later Edit: My knives are both small items, correct? Is the Bone Dagger a small item?)
Yup, all three of those are small items.

And yeah, you guys have quite a bit of loot to sell.
My Area

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24