Poll

derp

gerr
- 17 (58.6%)
derp
- 12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Running with rifles- Now on Steam!  (Read 31834 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Running with rifles- Mass warfare simulator
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 10:09:14 pm »

I've played a few demos of this, and it never really seemed like a good game. I don't know if the demos strip everything out, but with the huge amount of stuff going on the result would never be much different than if I wasn't playing at all.
Yeah the demo leaves alot out, in the full game you are way more important.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:28:06 am »

The demo is not even near to the quality of the "full" version. It's very old (more than a year old) and if I am not mistaken a new demo should be out soon, as well as a Steam release.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 05:54:16 am »

I'm seriously considering buying this.
Even if there isn't much to the demo, it's good fun- I imagine it could only be even more fun when played with human players.
At some point in the chaos I must have bumped the F key, and ended up with a moss 500 shotgun- that was fun indeed! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 02:04:12 pm »

At some point in the chaos I must have bumped the F key, and ended up with a moss 500 shotgun- that was fun indeed! :D

Shotguns are pretty cool in city maps (like the demo), but on open terrain they aren't that effective, unless you have one of the rare shotguns, those have higher range and higher kill probability (in the full version you have 30 weapons btw, see http://modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/wiki/index.php/Weapons )

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:39:59 pm »

How does getting a rare weapon work in this game?

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 04:48:19 pm »

How does getting a rare weapon work in this game?

You have a commonness system, so that some weapons have a very low commonness to be spawned with by a soldier. If you kill him, you can pick up his weapon. There are other stuff that are dropped by soldiers according to the same logic. You can sell them at armories to get some points used to buy specific equipment or to spend on "radio calls" (paratroopers drop, artillery barrage, Humvee drop, etc.).

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »

Well it sure is hard to be a soldier in RWR world... I've been playing for the past three hours on the campaign and I can't see an end in sight I'm still a Private!!! sure we've pushed the greys back into the city (at one time we lost so much ground that we had to defend the spawning location at the main base!) now its all urban warfare and the occasional APC, we're not getting any aid from the big boys, all the progress we made has been thanks to sweat and blood.

PS: it seems the higher your exp the more damage you do.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 06:24:27 pm »

Do note that you lose some experience every time you die, moreso if it's a suicide. You lose a fat chunk if you kill friendlies, too.

Picking up a gun in the field makes you respawn with that gun or its closest equivalent, it seems. There's some oddities, like a green picking up a PKM and respawning with a Mossberg 500, but it's still pretty useful.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »

Do note that you lose some experience every time you die, moreso if it's a suicide. You lose a fat chunk if you kill friendlies, too.

Picking up a gun in the field makes you respawn with that gun or its closest equivalent, it seems. There's some oddities, like a green picking up a PKM and respawning with a Mossberg 500, but it's still pretty useful.

If my memory serves me right, killing your buddies gets you a -30exp points.

Only once have I spawned with a Mossberg and it was indeed after dying with a PKM but like I said it has only happened once, I've died plenty of times holding a G36 or PKM then respawn with an M16A1 so I think there's more to it than just dying while having your enemy's gun.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 06:33:49 pm »

I'm playing right now on the EU invasion server (US invasion is broken)

I couldn't figure out how the inventory system worked, but literally just now I figured it out and it makes sense and is fairly quick to use.

Also I posted this in the other thread, but if you want to see a server list out of game here it is

http://www.modulaatio.com/rwr_server_list/view_servers.php

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »

Is this like a MMO? How big are maps?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:16 pm »

about the size of two beach side cities I think or one and a half.
The attention to detail is awesome, and the driving is (for me) very realistic, the game is like Arma 2 except this one is top down and Arma 2 is FPS.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:20 pm »

I used to play this with my brothers and we love it, but latency kinda ruins it.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 07:03:11 pm »

Well it sure is hard to be a soldier in RWR world... I've been playing for the past three hours on the campaign and I can't see an end in sight I'm still a Private!!! sure we've pushed the greys back into the city (at one time we lost so much ground that we had to defend the spawning location at the main base!) now its all urban warfare and the occasional APC, we're not getting any aid from the big boys, all the progress we made has been thanks to sweat and blood.

PS: it seems the higher your exp the more damage you do.

First, the damage has nothing to do with the XP. The more XP you have the more potential soldier you can command (simple moving/charge commands).
RWR is easy to get in but hard to master. Took me quite a while to fully get used to the whole thing. Also I read the pdf tutorial quite late.
For example I didn't know for quite long that you can choose your spawn point (not just pressing the spacebar to respawn at the nearest location) and that you can use the armored truck as mobile spawn point (nice for flanking :) ). I hope the imminent Steam release will bring some more people to fill the server, I love playing campaign with a few people.

StudyHard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:04:05 pm »

Is this like a MMO? How big are maps?

Each map size is 1kmx1km
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15