Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Non-'Depression Related' Problem From Scoopbeard (For Once)  (Read 1392 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
A Non-'Depression Related' Problem From Scoopbeard (For Once)
« on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:49 am »

Ok, so... I went a date with a girl, long story short: it was awful. If it was because I was totally bland and uninteresting, or she was kind of a bitch (we'll get to that) i don't know. Problem is-and this is related to another thread recently concluded here-I still like her. She's really the only girl i've ever liked, i've been 'obsessed' with other girls or just tried to convince myself I liked them, but 'She' was very different. I don't know. I still see her in class, she talks to me, etc. (She's got a boyfriend too) but it's hard for me to talk to her, look at her sometimes.

Unfortunately, I have somewhere between little and none when it comes to experiences in the realm of the heart. My friends, who I shared a lot of the details of my date/encounters with, all told me she was an absolute bitch to me, and I should totally hate her, but-like I said-I really don't. I guess my question is... How do I get over her? I don't think it's very healthy to hang on to a dream that's nigh impossible at this point, and I'm worried it's going to prevent me from meeting someone who WANTS to be with me.

Also for some perspective, the date was about 4 months ago and I've felt like this almost since.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Non-'Depression Related' Problem From Scoopbeard (For Once)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:24:55 am »

Spend less time with her and more time with friends and/or meeting and getting to know other girls.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:34:41 am »

The best way to "get over" a girl is to work on making yourself someone that other girls will feel attracted to. More importantly, it'll make you into someone that you feel like girls will feel attracted to. You need to find something to distract yourself from thinking about all the stuff that brings you down and focus on doing things that'll bring you back up - Both in your own eyes and in the eyes of others. You sound like you've got some self confidence issues, and that's alright. Once you admit it you can take steps towards fixing it.

I know you're asking for advice on getting over a girl, but bear with me. A lot of "getting over" someone is becoming a better person and learning from the experience. Not everyone you reach out to is going to reach back, but you should do everything you can to be someone that folks are willing to reach out to. Think of the kind of girl you want - Not specifically her, just some general idea of the interests, looks, and personality a girl you see yourself being attracted to. Now think of what she'd be attracted to. Try to become that person. If you can't, it's time to reevaluate your expectations. A lot of guys dream of a girl that's going to show up and "fix" him. If you have that daydream, throw it out the window. Maybe go outside and bury it for good measure. Those girls only exist in Hollywood.

So here's what you do:

You gotta work on your appearance.

Exercise regularly and with energy. Spring's coming up, so this should get easier as the weather warms up. Don't feel nervous about going to a gym; as long as you educate yourself on proper exercise practices no one's going to make fun of you. In my experience they're more likely to come over and give you advice.

Get a haircut, and figure out how to style your hair. This means taking time to use conditioners, combs, and styling gels to make it look nice and get it under control. Even if you decide to let it hang you should do what you can to make it look nice. Handle any other appearance issues that you have. Google is your friend.

Find some clothes that look good on you. If you're skinny, you may need to special order something from a website. A lot of clothing companies have thin fits, but they don't carry them in-store. If you're tall, the same companies usually have tall variations, but they tend to cost more. Here's a handy guide for tall/skinny folks. If you're not tall and/or skinny, lucky you! You're all ready to start building muscle and don't have to worry about special order clothes, and discount options like thrift shops and clearance racks are viable options. Either way, read up on modern style and figure out what works for you. If you have a friend who's moderately familiar with fashion, ask them for advice.

Expanding on that, keep your house/room/apartment/whatever clean. If you've got any control over the decorations, it's time to think about what a girl might think when she sees them. I used to have about twenty figurines statues and posters of dragons spread around my room. Leftovers from my childhood... ten years ago. One day I realized, "Wow, if hell freezes over and I get a girl in here, she's going to nope her way right back out the other direction." Try not to have more than one or two decorations that might make someone think you're less mature than you really are.

Next, you gotta learn.

Eat healthier. Learn to cook well. More than just eggs and sandwiches, man! Learning to cook is amazing, because making a good meal for a girl is great 3rd or 4th date material. Learn some basic meals, get a crock pot and learn to appreciate it for the wonderful tool it is. Worst case scenario, you'll be eating better and packing some delicious meals.

Develop a healthy hobby. Draw, write, paint, design games, learn guitar, whatever. The important thing here is that you're doing something that's primarily creative at its core but physical enough for you to appreciate. Whatever you decide to do, you'll probably suck at first, but every artist has a thousand bad paintings/stories/songs to get out of the way before they finally get to the good stuff. Don't let the journey wear you down. Practice your hobby daily. Everyone likes someone who's creative, but it's a muscle you have to work like everyone else.

Gain a skill. In the world of the Internet, this is incredibly easy. Programming, IT support, and just about anything you can think of is documented thoroughly somewhere on the Internet. If the Internet fails you, start looking into universities with decent online courses, or local universities if they have the courses you want. Eventually you'll have a skill you can market, and if it's something like Programming you can fiddle around with it in your spare time and maybe make a couple of bucks that way. If you already have a marketable skill, great! Become an expert in your field. You want to become such an asset to whatever company that wants to hire you that they don't dare dream of losing you. Having a steady, well-paying job is attractive in its own way, but you're going to have to put effort into whatever field you decide to go into.

Don't procrastinate because you're getting a late start - A late start is a heck of a lot better than no start, and from the sounds of it, you aren't even in your thirties. You've got a long life ahead of you. Work hard and learn stuff so you'll have a better future, even if it's only going to pay off a few years from now. Life is an investment, so you're going to have to make some deposits.

Finally and most important of all: Love life and love what you do. Love what you are, and become what you love. Self confidence and passion together are more attractive than anything physical, and you'll be a better and happier person. If there's something that makes you unhappy in life, work towards fixing that problem, mitigating it, or learning to deal with it emotionally. It's not going to go away on its own and you'll be a better person for it.

Do your best to put your feelings for her on a shelf. You may never be entirely able to erase your feelings for a girl, but you can mitigate the problem by moving on with your life and making yourself into someone that both you and someone else can love. Look at it objectively. If she really is a bitch, do you think a relationship between you two would work out? Could you be happy in such a relationship? Unless they're gunning for the girl, your friends are looking out for you. Don't make the mistake of distancing their advice.

Best of luck.

Edit: Sheesh, sorry that came out so long. I'm not very good at short and sweet.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:36:41 am by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:40:33 am »

No, that was great thanks. Ill certainly try to change some things in my life!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:30:09 pm »

Doubleposting to say that over the weekend I really began make some lifestyle changes, I started running again, started eating healthier (in terms of calories at least), fixed my hair up (not that it ever looked bad, it just went from messy => styled), and started to learn to play golf. As for hobbies, I already play guitar and draw. will have to look in to getting some more cooking experience... Though I DO make the best eggs and sandwiches this side of town *wink*.

This all coincided with me snapping out of my depression friday, and quite honestly this is the happies I've been in a long, long time.

So thanks again Knight.

(And "not even 30"? Bro, im not even 20 D:)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 11:14:17 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard, it seemed only yesterday that you were first posting for help with your depression, and now you're playing golf, guitar, cooking, dating...

Urist McScoopbeard for president 2016.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:20 pm »

Thanks thanks, I think my first depression thread began almost, or more than, a year ago. I've come quite the way from social-skills-less 14yr old to relatively normal 17yr old. Im still an awkard duck when it comes to people and sports, but at least i'm trying.

My biggest regret is that all of my friends will be gone soon, we're all off to college, and i'll probably never see them again. Heartbreaking actually, considering how close of a friend group it is. Doubly terrible, because I really won't get to experience what's hopefully the start of a better me with my 2 besties.

D:

I only hope I meet some cool people in college!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

Wow, thanks for the fuzzy feelings! I'm glad everything's picking up. You seriously made my day.

And as long as you put yourself out and make an effort to meet people you'll always find good people to hang out with. If an introvert like me can meet people and convince them to hang out with me, I'm sure you'll have no problem doing the same.

We'll always be around if you ever need more advice or encouragement. Feel free to message me, too.

(And "not even 30"? Bro, im not even 20 D:)

I was aiming more towards "It's never too late to start", don't take it the wrong way! :P
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:57 am »

I only hope I meet some cool people in college!
Trust me, you will. The coolest people i have ever met are the ones i've met and befriended at college/university. :D
With that said, you can still try to stay in contact with your current friends. Things like Facebook, however much you may dislike it, is actually pretty neat for staying in contact with people, since it simplifies it a lot. Have to agree though, leaving your friends behind because of education is pretty balls, i was sad to leave our high school equivalent as well. It was the first time IN MY ENTIRE LIFE where i was on friendly terms with the whole class, despite me being the awkward guy who doesn't talk a lot, and then i had to leave because we graduated. Come university, and i didn't know a single face in there. Now, i'd trust pretty much everyone in that class with my life.

Also, this thread is SO INSPIRING. Forgive me for intruding like this, but i myself have this slight depression looming in the back of my head, likely because i don't know what to do with myself, and... I think i feel stagnant, like i sometimes just want to go sit in a corner and wait for everything to sort itself out (which, knowing this reality, it won't). Like, the only thing that's actually going forwards for me is my scant few hobbies (i see myself slooooooooooowly improving as an artist, Angry Laser Space is sloooooooooowly proceeding), and i fear that if i set out to make a living off of those, they'll start feeling like jobs. Perhaps a few life style changes might get me out of this mindset. Perhaps i just need to get an actual job so i don't have so much time to think and calcify. :I
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:14 am »

Just popping in to note that my depression as at its least bad when I'm inspired and motivated. That you picked up a bunch of hobbies/etc is a great sign. :)

* kaijyuu breaks out the pom poms.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:33 pm »

Alright, things have been going pretty well for me, I've been dressing nicely and styling my hair nicely (even though it's pretty naturally amazing) and I admit I've gotten a couple of nice comments. Just... I still don't FEEL real super confident, I know a big part of it is "Just doing it", getting out there, etc. but where do I start?

I... never really have had any sort of experience with approaching those people who attract me romantically.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 12:49:46 am »

It may sound counter intuitive, but a big part of being confident is simply not caring what other people think of you. You are you. You think certain things, you feel a certain way. If there's something you don't like in your life, you're working on getting it out of there. If someone else doesn't like something you do, well, who cares? What's important is how you feel about you.

Like, as long as you aren't hurting or killing people or anything.

Don't get me wrong, having other people's support is important for being happy emotionally, it just shouldn't be the end-all be-all of what makes you confident.

You don't have to drop bull crap to appear confident. Heck, you don't even have to know the answer all the time, or know what to do all the time. You're human, and as a result you're occasionally wrong. You may even make really bad decisions once in a blue moon. The difference between you and a poser is that you, as a confident person, own your mistakes. You accept them, and you may even regret them, but they aren't what make you. When you make a mistake, you analyze how you could have done better without beating yourself up about it or giving yourself unrealistic expectations. When you don't know how to handle a question that comes up, you do everything in your power to find the answer out for the person asking the question and be ready for next time.

You just have to accept that things are a certain way, and if something comes up and decisions must be made you'll do everything in your power to do what's right. You do everything in your power right now to prepare for the future. I'm not just talking about preparing for the end of the world or a medical emergency, but preparing yourself for life in the same way that you prepare for a hot date. Work on yourself until you're happy with what you see and do your best.

Something important to remember is that most people are the same as you: They're caught up in their heads with doubts, questions, and insecurities. The key to being confident is realizing that if you put yourself out there, the world won't explode. Heck, even if you blunder and fall on your face the people who laughed won't remember a week from now, doubly so if you laugh with them.

Don't be proud. Don't brag. Just be you, and don't be afraid to show others who you are.

How's this play into asking for a date? Realize that the girl (Or whatever) you're going to ask is a person. Know that between cultural expectations and their own shyness most folks won't ask you, and try to see things from their point of view. This person could very well be interested in you. Then again, they could be open to becoming interested in you through the course of a courtship.

What if she says no? you ask.

Well, who cares if she says no? Like I said, she's a person. She may be focusing on school, and dating would distract her from achieving her dreams. She may be dating someone else right now, which means that she's loyal and may even be open to it some day in the future*. She may even have zero interest in you, in which case it wouldn't work out anyways.

* Just don't suggest that you date if things don't work out between her and her boyfriend. That's a douche bag move right there.

Of course, it's just as likely that she'd love to date someone. She'd love to spend time socializing rather than sitting at home browsing Facebook. Maybe she's even been having a hard time and she needed someone to show interest in her. This skips a lot of guys' minds because of rejection anxiety, but being asked out is a huge ego booster. It shows that people are interested in you, and it's nice because, culturally, girls are discouraged from being the one to ask the guy out.

So even if she says no, you'll go on with the knowledge that you lifted her day and made her feel better about herself. So asking chicks out on dates is kind of like doing your good deed for the day, and if it works out then it's even better for both you!

If she acts all offended that you asked her, well, she's a bitch and you dodged a bullet by getting that one out of the way fast. This is a whole 'nother topic, though. Just avoid crazy, and look for signs of rocky waters ASAP. If things don't look like they're going to work out it's best to bring it up honestly and quickly.

If you want some further reading material on confidence and asking girls to date, I highly recommend Doctor Nerdlove. He talks about almost everything shy guys like us need to know about dating and stuff.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 12:57:43 am »

If she acts all offended that you asked her, well, she's a bitch and you dodged a bullet by getting that one out of the way fast.

First, consider asking other female friends if you were a douche and think this over earnestly, and then either apologize or let her bitch off into the sunset.

(This is not because I am a feminist, this is because I have asked people out before and been a fucking douche, and I wish I'd learned my lesson sooner; otherwise, I'm in total agreement with KoF :])
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 01:24:24 am »

I was mostly referring to girls that give you the whole, "How dare someone as lowly as you ask someone as preppy as me. I'm, like, soooo out of your league." Those chicks and their Hollywood counterparts are half the reason guys are nervous about asking girls out.

Sorry if it came across as a little harsh or overgeneralized though. Everyone's got a human being somewhere behind those smashingly good looks, and your interactions with folks are only a brief snap shot into their lives. Between the two of you, you may have pushed a button, and she may just be in a bad mood. Find somewhere comfortable between assuming the best of people and healthy skepticism. You'd want them to do the same for you, right?

And no matter how she says no, it's no big deal. Play it off, smile, and play it by ear.

consider asking other female friends

You just made me think of a brilliant way to ask a girl out.

Ask her "What's the best way to ask someone out?" She'll give you some advice, which is probably exactly how she'd want someone to ask her out.

Then you say, "Okay" and immediately use that advice on her.

It's so cheesy that I love it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 01:25:10 am »

If she acts all offended that you asked her, well, she's a bitch and you dodged a bullet by getting that one out of the way fast.

First, consider asking other female friends if you were a douche and think this over earnestly, and then either apologize or let her bitch off into the sunset.

(This is not because I am a feminist, this is because I have asked people out before and been a fucking douche, and I wish I'd learned my lesson sooner; otherwise, I'm in total agreement with KoF :])

I don't even know how to be a douchebag. Seriously. No worries on that front.

EDIT: Again, thanks Knight for some really stellar answers!
Pages: [1] 2