Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [F2P] Loadout - Create, Customize, Kill!  (Read 4053 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
[F2P] Loadout - Create, Customize, Kill!
« on: February 21, 2014, 06:01:40 am »

I've seen some mentions of it here and there, but no thread in sight, so...

Basically it's a 4v4 third-person F2P (but definitely not P2W! To quote TotalBiscuit, "it's less P2W than TF2.") with a fair amount of gun customization, fun gamemodes and a slaughterhouse-worth of blood, guts and other unpretty things for good measure.

It's a metric fuckton of fun and chaos, the most I had since I first played TF2 (and to people saying it looks like da Team Fort 2 - IT DOESN'T!).
Currently I am playing a cross between a heavy, medic and engineer (a slug rifle with gatling barrel and large capacity mag, a healing rocket launcher and the turret buddy) and it's proving to be really good, despite of my inability to kill anything (he said as he gets 5x+ killstreaks), I often end up as the MVP simply by the virtue of dem overheals and actually trying to stick close to my teammates.

So far have mostly played against bots though, but human matches are really great as well. I love Death Snatch and Extraction, but despise Blitz and Jackhammer (in my only JH match so far I was the only person on both teams to actually capture that hammer and win). Haven't played Annihilation yet at all, but looking forward to it.

So, anyone else? What silly loadouts have you been pwning faces and kicking arse with?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: [F2P] Loadout - Create, Customize, Kill!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 06:21:59 am »

TB got me to try it aswell. Played a bit for this past week. Gotta say, it's pretty fun, even though I've been completely weened off twitch shooters and therefore suck at aiming.

That's easily remedied by my spammy flak launcher though :D

And that's pretty much what I mostly use because I've sunk most blutes into it and is the most effective right now, my other gun is the stock assault rifle with a bigger mag to compensate for bad aim (volume beats accuracy anyways :D). Might consider getting a beam of some sort, but that's a while off still because as I've said before, gotta get dem rokkits up!

Also nick is Djoze on the EU cluster, so if anyone feels like playing feel free do add me.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:46:49 am »

The stock assault rifle with just a light assault barrel is pretty badass, I've found.
Other than that, my loadouts include a pretty boring tesla launcher with none of the hoopla launchers can gets. I also have a healing pulse Gatling rifle, and a Tesla Pulse Shotgun that kicks ass.
I can provide pictures of any weapons if you guys want, I've spent about 10 hours in the testing range min-maxing each one quite unscrupulously.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 07:02:39 am »

I hate Blitz because it's difficult (for me, at least) to figure out exactly where the bounds of the capture point are and it pretty quickly devolves into who can bring the most explosives to bear on the point at once. I've actually found Jackhammer to be the most consistently fun; most people seem to grok Capture the Flag pretty quickly. Extraction's good except for the occasional newb / oblivious person who doesn't realize they're the Collector (and the fact that 'You are the Collector!' loves to pop up right before someone's rocket gibs you).

Deathsnatch has a weird curve where everybody being terrible is more fun, people being partly competent kind of turns into a dumb standoff, and really good play by both teams is very fun. I had a match with three of my friends vs. another party queued team who had at least one long-time beta guy with a level 8 or so sniper rifle that could consistently either one-shot us or burn us to death.  Despite a fairly obvious mismatch in personal skill of the two sides, we managed to set up a defensive position, make the sniper's job harder, and kept our heads for the most part during the three-pronged flanks the rest of their team inflicted on us. We lost by a fairly narrow margin but we all had a lot of fun with that.

My most developed weapon is a Laser Guided Tesla Flak 6-barrel launcher. It's horrible at actually killing people, but I can carpet bomb an area and reduce most people within it to half health at least. It's fairly effective at long range and for ambushes (otherwise guys just kind of dodge out of it, and excellent against the ubiquitous shields. Other weapons I've messed with include sniper beam (Charged Shot + Sniper Barrel + Liquid Cooling), which is fairly ineffective, a Pulse Slug Shotgun (Scatter Barrel + whatever-you-call-the-one-at-a-time-reload magazine) which is  a two-hit kill at close range if you can land it while people are jump-roll-sprinting around you, and a high rate of fire Pulse gun that's my current main fallback. I haven't tested it in combat, but I plan to use a Launcher with cluster bombs and a manual detonation trigger. With rapid clicking, this is basically like firing a shotgun blast of grenades at close range and, in testing at least, seems to be very good at distributing high damage in a wide area in front of you at close range without too much risk of hurting yourself.

As far as equipment goes, I'm inching my way towards getting the Respawn Point because, in theory, it seems to be as useful as the Engineer's teleporter in TF2 with less setup to worry about. Most of the time I use a Shield though because it seriously cannot be beat. It's 'only' 33 extra health, but the recharge delay on it is fairly short if you can evade people chasing you at all, and it's 100% passive. You don't have to deploy it and you don't have to get pickups to continue using it. Supposedly it's going to be nerfed in the next update by making it 'less passive', which is something I ultimately agree with.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:09:03 am »

Been interested in it since I saw it on a Steam frontpage few weeks ago and YouTube. Can't really start playing it at the moment as I have severe hard drive space shortage.

My primary interest in this game is the possibility of creating the most DAKKA-istic weapon possible. Though I think my wishes will remain unfilfilled because, ya know, there's nevar enuff DAKKA.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 09:58:07 am »

No thread in sight? I obviously stayed too long in this forum because I know whether or not a game has its own thread here. :P
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

I bought it because I was dumb enough to think it wouldn't go F2P.
It went F2P.
WELLLLL THAT'S MY MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN
So I stopped playing out of sheer spite. Also the camera ticks me off.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »

I don't like how there are so few gun "builds" that are viable.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

You will hear many people say that there are things that are OP.

In truth, there are really only two things that are OP:
  • Teamwork
  • Aimbots

If you run into an aimbot and they're using a regular or gatling rifle, you'll know it, since every bullet will hit you (they magically eliminate the bullet spread), and you'll die far faster than normal when facing a rifle user. There are, however, people who are very accurate with sniper weapons without cheating. (I still tend to miss half my shots with them, but that still makes them very effective at range)

I don't like how there are so few gun "builds" that are viable.

There are some things that seem to generate suboptimal weapons, I think, but ... Everyone doesn't necessarily end up with identical weapons. I've unlocked tesla and fire weapons, and cluster and flak munitions for launchers, but I've basically entirely switched back to using 'slug' weapons and regular launcher explosives. There are other people who use fire exclusively (e.g. fire assault rifles). Some people use regular assault rifles. Some use gatling. Same for lasers. Light assault seemed pretty useless a week or two ago when Loadout first showed up on my radar, but I haven't checked to see if it has changed and it probably just needed tweaking.

I know for pulse guns I prefer gatling, but I know some swear by shotgun pulse guns. I can't seem to hit anything with them, myself, and can't tell if I hit or miss against moving targets with shotgun pulse guns with all the action going on usually.

Healing is also very useful, but I've taken to carrying a liquid cooled semi-auto beam sniper along with a triple-shot hexabarrel mortar launcher in my primary loadout. (My secondary loadout has a gatling laser-targeted slug pulse gun and an identical gun which fires healing syringes instead)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »

Yeah, there aren't too many gun builds that are super optimal.  I wanted to make a rapid fire pulse shotgun, but making something shotgun really lowers the firing rate for some reason that makes me sad.  It's understandable from a balance perspective though.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »

The stock assault rifle with just a light assault barrel is pretty badass, I've found.
Same here. I run that exact gun on both my loadouts. It's very versatile - works at long and close range, kills reliably quickly, decently accurate.

Besides that, I've been toying with launchers. Saw someone using a very interesting launcher, and have been trying out my version - a semi-auto super-slow sticky prox quad-barrel launcher. Does massive damage if you actually hit, and the sticky/prox combo means your opponents have to watch out for even your missed shots.

Once I've got some more blutes, might also try out a corkscrew + salvo launcher. Corkscrew salvos travel in a tight spiral instead of spreading out like normal salvo launchers, so you can insta-gib people. At least, you can in the test mode, where movement is very predictable, and you don't get killed when you miss! :)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:00:19 pm »

When I played it a bit in newbie beginner matches, it seems my regular combo of rocket launcher and rifle is fairly decent at getting kills. Nice to have a game where I can actually kill something in multiplayer.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 12:36:20 am »

I currently have three weapon slots:

I made a laser battle rifle (semiauto with assault barrel, everything else stock if I remember right), and eventually it seems (in testing mode) to be at at least a local maximum, where all the next-tier parts weaken it. Pretty cool gun, though! I wanted a higher-damage option, but all the ones I could find (sniper barrel, etc.) make firerate/overheat/both unacceptable. It's pretty cool how it can be blinked at people at long distance without really committing to an engagement, to soften people fighting others or weaken people before fighting up close.

Then I switch to a tesla minigun (auto, not spooling,I think; unless I changed it and forgot) and bounce skipping blue death and annoyance (mostly annoyance, but they add up deceptively quickly making the whole magazine enough for multiple kills under good conditions) everywhere from the large pulse magazine. I like the way you can indirect-fire it, bending the stream over cover and banking it off walls. I'm thinking of making it laser-guided in the future, to make the bouncing, swarming, glowy, arcing orbs even more annoying!

I'm trying to build a rocket-revolver (Also, anyone looked at the models and animations for them? They make no sense! There's a drum mag slapped in and then all the rockets reappear at once, yet the magazine can't then be replaced to reload the tubes as they empty like it looks like it's supposed to! I guess the balancing and art teams had different ideas...) with 'turbo' rockets (still kinda pokey with the way people move here), but it's not going well. I was aiming for a gyrojet/bolter type of minirocket device you tried to hit people with, but it seems to be a losing battle as the system is restricted to area-denial devices with slow projectiles. It would be cool if you could trade splash or detonations from walls for greatly increased speed, though.

Also, I was surprised this ran on my laptop.
Not much does, considering it's a beat-up (kind of starting to fall apart -- the headphone jack is destroyed, the escape key is loose, the keyboard bezel thing falls out and currently the screws holding the hard drive in fail to engage and are held in with blue stickytack) old handmedown Dell bought for office work and sporting an alleged 'graphics processor' identified simply, and alarmingly, as "Intel(R) HD Graphics", without any numbers or anything. At this point most people would simply say 'none'. In fact, ANY Intel GPU would usually be referred to as 'none', but don't they usually advertise a model number? My highest available desktop resolution is 1366x786, though that might be the fault of the panel itself...

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 02:58:38 am »

Then I switch to a tesla minigun (auto, not spooling,I think; unless I changed it and forgot) and bounce skipping blue death and annoyance (mostly annoyance, but they add up deceptively quickly making the whole magazine enough for multiple kills under good conditions) everywhere from the large pulse magazine. I like the way you can indirect-fire it, bending the stream over cover and banking it off walls. I'm thinking of making it laser-guided in the future, to make the bouncing, swarming, glowy, arcing orbs even more annoying!

Laser guided on a spooled gatling pulse with High cap magazines are insane. Laser guidance eliminates the gatling spread, and between spooling and gatling, the fire rate is almost equal to a beam.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 05:28:44 am »

Man, this game looks kinda fun.
I doubt my lappy can run it, but if it's free I may as well give it a go.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: [1] 2