Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25698 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 2 - Fall
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2014, 03:39:13 pm »

50 can be abandoned by irrigating and razing. The total cost is 0.

Ooh, you're clever. See, that's why I don't want to fight you. May the peace between our nations last until the dawning of the New Age!

The Republic of Babelon is interested in alliance, and we counterpropose a more long-term nonaggression pact. In short, I will abandon tile 50, and we both agree to leave tiles 50, 63, and 76 unoccupied as a Neutral Zone between our civs. This removes our shared border for the foreseeable future and with it the potential for backstabbing, since it would be impossible to Expand into the Neutral Zone and then Conquer into one another's territory on the same season. Obviously, such Expansion would be seen as a prelude to war, giving the other party at least one season to react. It is the best way to protect both of our heartlands, as the approaches from other directions are much more defensible.

I have your back if you have mine. What say you?

The Council of Trees accepts this pact. The great cities of Babelon and the great forests of The Council shall know peace. May we both prosper under this pact.

Brewers of Babelon, make ready your Truffle Wines and Earthen Spirits! Tonight is a night of feasting and rejoicing, for the Peace of the Lake has been ratified!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »

Pearly Swine wish to establish peaceful relations with the Lakers and the Council of Trees.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2014, 04:14:53 pm »

The Council has not yet decided the fate of their bountiful brethren. The coming winter and spring may bring clarity.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:21 am »

Still waiting on Dark Pal. I gave him a prod, so we shall see. As per the rules, I'll take his turn for him after 36 hours (so, roughly 12.30AM GMT on the 8th)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2014, 06:24:01 pm »

Obviously, I'm still waiting on him. I can give you a conditional action if you'd like, nqt, since he's only got 1 action for me to plan around.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2014, 03:55:03 am »

Well, Dark Pal could have done something exciting with Razing, but I'm going just Harvest 78.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:07 am »

Pearly Swine wish to establish peaceful relations with the Lakers and the Council of Trees.
I am open to such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2014, 12:40:14 pm »

Babe looked south from the Tower of Babelon, the sounds of revelry floating to his ears. Earlier, he had negotiated a peace with the Ents which secured his Western border. Now, the time had come for Babelon to secure the South.

"Pikes up and death to trolls!"

Pop: 5 (5-12)
Action Pool: 5

Irrigate 50 (AP:4)
Raze 50 (AP:5)
Conquer 65 (AP:4)
Conquer 64 (AP:3)
Conquer 78 (AP:1)
Raze 54 (AP:2)
Raze 64 (AP:3)
Raze 78 (AP:4)
Conquer 79
(1 action for Conquer, 2 defense for Mountain, 1 defense for Troll mountain.)

Pop: 5 (5-12)

GG Dark Pal

Raze OP nerf pls

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

Conquer 65 (AP:4)
Conquer 64 (AP:3)
Conquer 78 (AP:1)
Raze 54 (AP:2)
Raze 64 (AP:3)
Raze 78 (AP:4)
wait what

+1 to nerfing Raze, this is insane.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:20:40 pm by Dariush »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »

That's pretty damn impressive. But there are very few situations where you could actually do that again this game. You couldn't explode conquer someone living in a forest or desert, which seems to be most people.

Anyone dependant on having plains is pretty fucked actually. You could destroy a side of infinite size with only 1 action if they only have plains tiles. Raze is kinda ridicilous in its current form.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2014, 02:22:53 pm »

Raze is all about the short term benefit. You gain 1 action at the expense of two later (one to expand back into the terrain, one to improve the terrain.)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »

I'll reconsider how it works for the next game.

Rolling on to the next season when I get home in a bit.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2014, 02:35:56 pm »

You misunderstand the way Razing is OP. The problem is not that it only works short-term, the problem is that it allows to take huge swathes of territory from your enemy and optionally decimate his population (if he was above his minimum population and you were not).

Drain 119-132
City 120
City 133
City 148

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2014, 03:09:56 pm »

The Conquer/Raze combo is nifty if you can pull it off, but it's readily stopped by rivers/fortifications/diverse terrain types (Attention everyone who partied instead of fortifying that first winter, this is why you should fortify your heartland!) And as cerapa pointed out, it's not likely to come up again this game- a1s and GWG are the other two players with high plain density, and a1s has defensive mountains to expand into and the player who could oneshot GWG is Heterodox, so he's more interested in crippling than killing- GWG can start dropping cities in the lakes to defend himself.

The trickier bit to me is that this clearly establishes Plains as the least defensible terrain type; more specifically, they're so weak you can hit a hard target on the other side of open plains as easily as if it were on the border, so they're a huge liability until you fortify them. At least Deserts cost your enemy actions to move across. I think that'll be the crux of how bad this is, whether the cost of abandoning the land is worth the free action you get from it. If you're only intending to cripple your opponent then abandoning the land is an advantage, since your opponent won't be able to Expand back to his original size before Spring (and he'll still have to deal with rebuilding wherever your punch actually landed.)

Again, not a huge concern on this map; there's very few places that have wide open fields. I suppose we'll see how it plays out when two equally matched civs go at it- positioning to keep your enemy out of your plains is now a major strategic concern.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:18 pm »

Year Two - Winter

The Fall began with bloodshed and ended with bloodshed. The Lakers marched south, seizing desert from The Accord, while to the north the swine of Babelon swarmed out of their towers, overrunning the shaky trolls, the few survivors fleeing to their ships with their nets and their billy clubs. And so it was the Intern-Net Trolls were ensnared. And still more and more of the once verdant land turned to the wastes.

Spoiler: Year 2 - Winter (click to show/hide)

In Winter you can: Conquer, Raze, Raid, Improve, Dismantle, as well as doing a heresy-specific action. If you border another civilisation, please submit your actions in turn order.

Turn order:
GreatWyrmGold [pop.2]
cerapa [pop.4]
Dariush [pop.4]
NQT [pop.5]
Monk12 [pop.5]
a1s [pop.5]

Active Players
Spoiler: 1. The Accord - NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7. Pearly Swine - a1s (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 07:52:17 pm by notquitethere »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26