Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25638 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 1 - Winter
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2014, 10:19:24 am »

Can I scorch earth under a city? If no, then
Brutal Raid 148 (+2 actions)
Brutal Raid 133 (+2 actions)
City 135
Drain 133-134

If yes, then
City 134
City 135

I can do this and start next season with 4 pop, right?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:31:04 am by Dariush »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:54 am »

Dariush
Not quite: Cities increase your minimum and maximum population by one, they can only push your population up to the new minimum level. You're at 2/(1-2), so two cities would leave you at 3/(3-4). So two cities would give you 3 population (with room to grow).

Cerapa
I forgot that you can fortify tiles.

I would like to change the treehouse hugging to treehouse reinforcing if it's not a big problem.

That's fine, that's why I mentioned it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:27 am »

Dariush—
Can I 1) scorch earth under a city? 2) Drain during the winter? If the answer to the first question is 'no' and to the second 'yes', then
City 135
Drain 133-134

If it's any other combination of answers, then
City 134
City 135

3. I can do this and start next season with 4 pop, right?
1. You can scorch earth under a city.
2. Drain is an Improve action so can be performed during Winter.
3. You'll start the next turn with 3 pop, like I just explained

I think you've still got two actions left over from the brutal raiding: you used your two actions from population to gain four actions from raiding, you used one of these actions to build a city and one to drain. scrap that, I forgot the Brutal Raiding costs 2 actions.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:38:10 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2014, 10:44:24 am »

So I'm taking Dariush's action for this season to be:
City 134
City 135

Just waiting for our Dark Pal and I'll bring on the New Year.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:14 am »

So I literally wasted one action and lost two more by not gaining population in time on growing stuff instead of building cities. Splendid balance. :-/
Proposal: make city building cost two actions and start everyone off with 2 pop.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 10:51:01 am by Dariush »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:51 am »

Cities being more expensive to build is probably a good change, I'll add it to the list. Not sure about people starting with two actions, though it would give everyone more stuff to do in the early game. Ultimately, you can't reach the upper-limit of your maximum population by just building cities, so I still think farming is a fine way to go about things.

Balance in these things is best achieved through iterative play-testing.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2014, 11:01:21 am »

Fortify 64 and 78.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2014, 11:15:13 am »

Cities being more expensive to build is probably a good change, I'll add it to the list. Not sure about people starting with two actions, though it would give everyone more stuff to do in the early game. Ultimately, you can't reach the upper-limit of your maximum population by just building cities, so I still think farming is a fine way to go about things.
Uh, nope. Let's say a spring rolls around and I am currently at my minimum population. I have two choices for increasing the population: either build a city or farm. If I pick the former, I am still at the minimum population (which is now one higher) and I start off summer with +1 guy. Next spring I'll still have a choice. If I farm, not only do I only get this guy at the end of AUTUMN, but also I'll stop being at minimum population and thus will be forced to also farm the next spring, unless I want to have an action having been wasted, which is exactly what happened.

So, to recap, my proposals about cities: cities only increase minimum population, cost 2 actions, everyone starts off with 2 guys, humans start off with 3. This also nicely balances out their perceived OPness (since having 1.5 times as many actions as other people is much better than twice as many).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:30 am »

So I literally wasted one action and lost two more by not gaining population in time on growing stuff instead of building cities. Splendid balance. :-/
Ayup. And I'm wasting actions by not building cities so I can farm.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:03 am »

Uh, nope. Let's say a spring rolls around and I am currently at my minimum population. I have two choices for increasing the population: either build a city or farm. If I pick the former, I am still at the minimum population (which is now one higher) and I start off summer with +1 guy. Next spring I'll still have a choice. If I farm, not only do I only get this guy at the end of AUTUMN, but also I'll stop being at minimum population and thus will be forced to also farm the next spring, unless I want to have an action having been wasted, which is exactly what happened.
A good point, though things might change once players begin to run out places to build their cities.

I'll revisit your proposals at the end of the game when we've a clearer idea what the long-term effects of the different strategies are. Are you sure you mean 'only increase minimum population'? Your max population would then just be the number of tiles you have and it's impossible to build more cities than you have tiles...

(Also, will roll us on to the next season in just a moment)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2014, 11:29:58 am »

A good point, though things might change once players begin to run out places to build their cities.
...which are mostly in the only terrain type one can farm.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:24 am »

Year Two - Spring

The winter was short and industrious. Scouts from each of the civilisations warned their leaders of the growing settlements across the island and most defended themselves, burning tracts of land, raising cities and setting forth fortifications. All preparing for the second year...

Spoiler: Year 2 - Spring (click to show/hide)

In Spring you can: Grow, Expand, Raze, Raid, Dismantle, as well as doing a heresy-specific action. As you can expand this turn, you should post in turn order when there's a chance the person first in the order might contest the same territory.

Turn order:
DarkPaladin [pop.1]
GreatWyrmGold [pop.2]
a1s [pop.2]
cerapa [pop.3]
Dariush [pop.3]
Monk12 [pop.3]
NQT [pop.4]

Players
Spoiler: 1. The Accord - NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7. Pearly Swine - a1s (click to show/hide)

As ever, inform me if I've made a mistake. Remember that cities increase your minimum and maximum population, but they only increase your actual pop if it's below the new minimum.

...which are mostly in the only terrain type one can farm.
That's deliberate. Also remember that fields can be grown and harvested every year, but you only get the benefit of a city once.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:00:35 am by notquitethere »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 2 - Spring
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2014, 12:08:28 pm »

However, you can only get so much population from fields...equal to the number of tiles you have. And the tiles you farm? Also the tiles you build cities on.
If you could farm on city tiles, this would be less of an issue.

Plant both tiles.
Sig

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2014, 12:11:11 pm »

However, you can only get so much population from fields...equal to the number of tiles you have. And the tiles you farm? Also the tiles you build cities on.
If you could farm on city tiles, this would be less of an issue.
These are all reasonable points. I think lowering the usefulness of cities somewhat will make farming more useful.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:30 pm »

Expand 47
Expand 48
Expand 35

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26