Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - GAME OVER  (Read 25618 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 1 - Spring
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 06:22:08 am »

I am also fine with you playing.
And holy shit I should have taken builders with the new change.

Did some thinking on openings(first year). Might as well share them. These are all assuming that there is enough 1 action favoured terrain/plains.

Species

Standard

Spiders, Letterbeasts and Humans

Heresies:

Only heresy which affects the opening beyond use for leftover actions are the Builders and/or Apostates with Builder abilities. Heterodox could do some funky stuff too actually, but I think that depends highly on the races and heresies of all the others.

Standard Builders

Builders + Humans

Builders + Letterbeasts

Obviously this only matters for the first turn, before everyone really gets into the hang of things, but an early advantage like Letterbeast Builders versus say Ent Bountifuls is a scary idea. Letterbeast Builders would just be straight up op, and I am glad noone took it, and sad that I didn't. They could expand a lot, build enough to fill everything they can expand into with cities, and even Tower non-favoured terrain.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:25:40 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:48 am »

I thought you were going to play too?
I am:

Spoiler: 1. The Accord - NQT (click to show/hide)

Embark 154
Expand 141
Grow 141

I'll just end the season now. I've given DarkPaladin Embark 79, Expand 78 as that seemed closest to what he wanted to do.

Cerapa, keen analysis: the Letterbeast/Builder build would only work out if there were sufficient plains to build the cities on, and a city can only increase population, giving them a disadvantage compared to fields in the later game. But maybe it's a bit OP. This game is always a constant revision...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:01:24 pm by notquitethere »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:36 am »

Cerapa, keen analysis: the Letterbeast/Builder build would only work out if there were sufficient plains to build the cities on, and a city can only increase population, giving them a disadvantage compared to fields in the later game. But maybe it's a bit OP. This game is always a constant revision...
Builders can make 4 cities a year on non-favoured terrain, and get 2 free improve actions. Meaning they can turn deserts into plains for free and fill the mountains with cities.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:41:11 am by cerapa »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:03 am »

Year One - Summer

Throughout the spring, heretics landed across the island, throwing up huts, plowing fields and, in at least one case, burrowing out the first mountain halls. The heretics were followed onto the island by The Accord, a band of monks sent to foster harmony and avoid the slaughter concomitant with colonisation.

Spoiler: Year 1 - Summer (click to show/hide)

In Summer you can: Expand, Improve, Raze, Raid, Improve, Dismantle, as well as doing a heresy-specific action. as far as I can tell, only DarkPaladin and Dariush can contest the same tile this turn, so everyone else feel free to submit your turns out of order. I'm just updating everyone's Civ sheets with their new stats now.

Turn order:
cerapa [pop.1]
DarkPaladin [pop.1]
GreatWyrmGold [pop.1]
Dariush [pop.1]
a1s [pop.1]
Monk12 [pop.2]
NQT [pop.2]

Players
Spoiler: 1. The Accord - NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 7. Pearly Swine - a1s (click to show/hide)

Cerapa
Builders can make 4 cities a turn on non-favoured terrain, and get 2 free improve actions. Meaning they can turn deserts into plains for free and fill the mountains with cities.
Expanding into mountains, forests, lakes and oceans is still costly for them, which slows their expansion a little. But yeah, this probably will want changing.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:51:38 am by notquitethere »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:38 am »

City 33

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 2 - Turn-based Colonisation Game - Year 1 - Summer
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:48 am »

The Accord spread northeast, eager to intervene in the affairs of the other settlers...

Expand 128

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 08:25:38 am »

Am I correct that building a city to start will raise my base population to 2 (giving me 2 actions next turn?)
...Huh.

RE: Oceans and pop cap, I imagine staking a claim to an Ocean tile involves sending out many patrol ships to combat the horrible monsters living there, making it safe to traverse (since really, why would you claim Ocean if there's an easier way to the land on the other side?) That's why it's such a population sink to claim in the first place, unless you're Merfolk, and if you're Merfolk then you are perfectly justified in having underwater villages/cities.
So, are you suggesting that oceans only give popcap to merfolk?

As far as Aquatic Channel being underpowered, GWG, as far as I can see there's nothing in the action description saying you have to be adjacent to the border you want to channel; it's already a potent offensive power that reaches across the map. This also suggests that the non-Aquatic equivalent should specifically require you to be adjacent to the border you want to Canal, making it mostly useful for extending irrigation instead of terrain destro. I'm also assuming that turning a tile with a city on it into a lake would destroy the city unless that's your favored terrain; if that's the case, are Towers immune (since they can be built anywhere?)
...Is that an intended consequence?

Merfolk don't ignore lake movement penalties, just ocean, so it's not like they can cheaply Deluge their way into the heart of your civ and wreck everything.
Which is odd but understandable.

Build Centennial City on 100. Assuming that won't wipe out the fields, otherwise expand to 101.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 09:08:03 am »

As far as Aquatic Channel being underpowered, GWG, as far as I can see there's nothing in the action description saying you have to be adjacent to the border you want to channel; it's already a potent offensive power that reaches across the map. This also suggests that the non-Aquatic equivalent should specifically require you to be adjacent to the border you want to Canal, making it mostly useful for extending irrigation instead of terrain destro. I'm also assuming that turning a tile with a city on it into a lake would destroy the city unless that's your favored terrain; if that's the case, are Towers immune (since they can be built anywhere?)
...Is that an intended consequence?
Lakes don't destroy cities, you can have cities in non-favoured terrains, you just can't build them. The global reach of Channel was unintended but tolerable for this game.

Build Centennial City on 100. Assuming that won't wipe out the fields, otherwise expand to 101.
You can't build and farm on the same tile (it says so under 'grow' but it could be clearer).

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 09:44:52 am »

I just thought of something. Heterodox Impossibulls who quit on the first turn will get more or at least as many VP as any other Heterodox combo. Does this seem a good thing to have in the game?
Also, proposal: post everyone's sheet every time a new season rolls around.

Expand 135
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:14:50 pm by Dariush »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:50 am »

I just thought of something. Heterodox Impossibulls who quit on the first turn will get more or at least as many VP as any other Heterodox combo. Does this seem a good thing to have in the game?
Territories give you VP as well, so that's probable not a great strategy. They could get, in an eight player game, at most 17 points from quitting on their first turn. This would give the other players 19 more turns to conquer and hold 9 favoured tiles.

Also, proposal: post everyone's sheet every time a new season rolls around.
Yeah, not a bad plan.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

GWG
Ah, Merfolk only get expansion-into-ocean benefits, so expanding into 101 won't work. 86, 99, and 113 would all be OK for you to expand into.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:19 pm »

You know, it's kinda stupid that those who build a city get a second pop on the first season while those who choose to grow stuff only get one on the third season. I propose to make it so that cities increase minimum pop, but don't give population itself. Thus, it would be possible to have population under minimum if it has never been above the current level.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:56 pm »

You know, it's kinda stupid that those who build a city get a second pop on the first season while those who choose to grow stuff only get one on the third season. I propose to make it so that cities increase minimum pop, but don't give population itself. Thus, it would be possible to have population under minimum if it has never been above the current level.
That makes sense. Or, you can only build a city if your population isn't below your new minimum population.

Expand to 86.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:00 pm »

Expand to 64.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2014, 12:46:55 pm »

Our cities attract scattered refugees to our welcoming slums homes, and therefore into our workforce, I assume. This is a tricky action for me since I'll only have one action to perform during the Fall...

Babe, Swine in the City looks down on the huddled masses of Babelon. Wretched outcasts, sentient flotsam, people whose only remaining hope is that Babe might build them a better life. He adjusts his toga, then steps onto the balcony. They are his to command, and he will lead them to glory. Babe lifts one hand dramatically, issuing his proclamation.

Expand 40
Expand 52
Industrious Improve: Fortification 52
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26