Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just so many Vampires  (Read 1902 times)

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just so many Vampires
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »

How normal is it for a SINGLE Human city to have 20+(more?) vampires? Because this city just keeps telling me to slay vampire after vampire after vampire and maybe a bandit. Also I can't find several of them because they say they're in the sewers which I have explored multiple times.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Just so many Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »

Really depends on how many night beasts/vamp curse types there are set in world gen. You can get a world with none, or it might be like your situation. You seem to be on an extreme though, the largest amount of vampires in one city I ever got was 2 or 3.

Also, ignore all sewer quests unless you're undead, you can't get into their sewer lairs for real unless you can't breathe.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:47:50 pm »

I didn't change the number of vampire curses, but I'm in the 180's so it could be due to time.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:25:31 pm »

I have a 1050 small world. There were so many lairs that each town has defensive ring of lairs that prevent me from fast traveling into them! Its hilarious.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »

Sewer quests can be a pain in the ass because sometimes the target, like a vampire, isnt actually in the sewer. They could be buried alive in the ground somewhere, which means you literally cannot get to them. It's possible to use DFhack's liquids and reveal command, and set it to create obsidian floors and make a path of walkable floors to the subterranean menace.

Hopefully this bug gets dealt with eventually.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:43:50 pm »

Its the same here, for me adventure mode is just Vampire Quest: Vampire Vampire. This is my first stab at adventure mode as well, every adventurer kills maybe 2 or 3 then a vamp stun locks me and its all over. Its hard to learn how to play the game when every enemy is objectively faster and stronger than your character. I just beat the last one to death with a skeleton in the sewers while looking for a bandit but it turned out he was the only thing in there so I went to another sewer in the same town only to kind another, even more powerful vampire. Im goin f**king crazy right now! Half the vamps I kill are not even the vampire I am looking for, I literally get headed off looking for a vampire by another vampire then I try to find the vampire again but I run into EVEN MORE vampires!

Many of these f**kers are 500 years old and can kill a fully armored knight in 5 seconds. Even running away and throwing heavy/sharp s**t cant stop them most of the time! Wrestling characters are almost useless because vampires are full strength, they are too fast for swords and allys die pretty fast. Any advice?
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »

Its the same here, for me adventure mode is just Vampire Quest: Vampire Vampire. This is my first stab at adventure mode as well, every adventurer kills maybe 2 or 3 then a vamp stun locks me and its all over. Its hard to learn how to play the game when every enemy is objectively faster and stronger than your character. I just beat the last one to death with a skeleton in the sewers while looking for a bandit but it turned out he was the only thing in there so I went to another sewer in the same town only to kind another, even more powerful vampire. Im goin f**king crazy right now! Half the vamps I kill are not even the vampire I am looking for, I literally get headed off looking for a vampire by another vampire then I try to find the vampire again but I run into EVEN MORE vampires!

Many of these f**kers are 500 years old and can kill a fully armored knight in 5 seconds. Even running away and throwing heavy/sharp s**t cant stop them most of the time! Wrestling characters are almost useless because vampires are full strength, they are too fast for swords and allys die pretty fast. Any advice?
any time you have to get a kick to the head, use it. Your skill Doesn't matter.kick it
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:24:53 am »

Well to be fair vampires are pretty much old people the town wants you to kill their old people, like I remember the vampirism off one vamp and the gal just died form old age instantly.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:11 am »

Attacking the vampires head is listed as "impossible" so that isn't really an option.

I just finally got a quest to kill something other than a vampire, a bandit overlord. i was shot by three arrows immediately in the space of about three turns then passed out then allies all die then they kill me. I think early game content doesn't exist in this world. Any advice again?
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

dwindlehop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »

The wiki has good early adventurer advice. Some actions that have helped me:

1. Start in a different civ. Sometimes the situation is fucked hopelessly.
2. Go back to world gen and make a better world. I like a lot of lairs but not too much evil/terrifying biome because zombies are pains to kill.
3. Kill wildlife. Gradually ramp up to scary wildlife (predators, packs, and giant versions).
4. Werebeasts in human form are generally not too threatening. You can keep asking for service even when you don't kill the first target. If you ask for two dozen quests one of them should be easier than the others.
5. Ask for quests in hamlets, not towns. Fiends in towns are usually stupendous badassess.
6. If you can, stealth before attacking.
7. I prefer low social skill adventurers, but getting three or four companions and letting natural selection determine the best really helps your odds of survival. After you become a legendary warrior, you can solo fiends with more confidence.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

Best fun you get is finding the vampire then asking quests from them, most often they lived longer than all the townfolk and have loads of animals and people wanted dead that are vast and different, once you run that well dry out them and look for the next vampire for more quests.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Fairawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 07:28:12 am »

I just started a game where literally every town I went to had a vampire-killing quest. Every. One.

I.e. - I feels your pain.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 10:38:44 am »

I want to find vampire quests, but I never get them.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:17 am »

I remember one memorable run in adventure mode where my only companion was a badass vampire spearman, I did not mind so much for I was a badass vampire sworddwarf. We fought crime (and dragons)