Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The world of my dream  (Read 2334 times)

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The world of my dream
« on: February 10, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »

I dream about the world... The perfect world for my little dwarves...

It is cold, and it is evil - not the pitiful (and CPU-consuming) evil rains and Staring eyeballs, but the beautiful mountains, covered by the forest with glumprongs, so my dwarves could cut a nice red beds... If they stay alive long enough  :D I also want a very few metals on the map, so I have only the metal, which I bought on initial screen and goblinite. Yes, of course the land must be cursed with necro-raise effect, so gaining the goblinite will not be easy.
And of course, NO DWARVES on the map, so nobody can bring me ore. And no immigrants, so I can count only on natural population growth.
Only a bit of puny elves and humans, so I will not feel lonely.
And plenty of goblins and cobolds.
I can live happily on this land of my dream with my lovely dwarves.

Does anybody know, how can I create such a world? If moreover I can edit it so I have some certain resources on map, like marble, sand, clay and gypsum plaster source, I would be happy!
Please, help me find the world of my dreams for my dwarves!:)

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
Re: The world of my dream
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:43 pm »

I like your style, like making DF even more hardcore.

Wonder if anyones done that before, made a successful fort using nothing but the embark dwarves, no immigrants. Sounds rough.
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 06:48:17 pm »

you get at least two migrant waves so technically nope ... but even one dwarf can survive, and with a couple (if married) you surly can raise anywhere ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »

If you can make this happen, I'd love to get a copy of the world gen parameters you used. I've been wanting a more difficult map for a long time.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:14 pm »

Same here, although my interest is on finding the Goblin's equivalent of Cacame...

This being said, my recent experiments have showed that with mostly default settings people thrive well. My advice here is to try and set each civ's population cap low and maybe increase savagery by 5-15. I warn you though that messing with savagery will make a lot of rejects when generating.

Although I got to ask, do you know how to generate an advanced world? Resources on the wiki can help. This describes almost all options of the advanced generator. This (despite being for an earlier version) shows you how to use the World painter, which may make the process of designing those "evil mountains" easier.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:31:45 pm »

>> PlayingGood
Yeah, like some convict's or outcast's story:)

>> Mohreb el Yasim
I am fine with it. Let it be some small crowd of relatives or friends of outcasts, who decided to join them even in death after the year of hard thoughts :D I just do not want bunches of legendary cheesemakers, coming faster, than the evil surroundings kill them.

>> YvAd
I will send you the seed and parameters of the world if I succeeded:)

>> Doktoro Reichard
Thank you! Yes, I know how to generate the world with andvanced parameters, but the problem is that I spend very much time on generating and checking worlds. I think, maybe world painnter will help me :)
By the way, you told, I can "set each civ's population cap" separately, but in the world_gen.txt I see only "TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER" and "TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION" parameters. So if I set them low to avoid dwarves on my map, I will also miss elves, humans, goblins and cobolds as I suppose. Or is there any way to lower the chance of dwarves cities creating and surviving by editing any parameter, which will not affect other types of nations?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »

Bad phrasing, so my apologies there. You can set up the civilizations' cap with TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:<number>. What this does (according to the wiki) is to set up the maximum amount of population any civilization can get. So, say you set it to 100. Then any civ can't exceed those 100 dwarves/elves/etcetera.

TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER tries to place the amount of civilizations you explicited on the map. On small maps, this can cause high rejections, because the algorithm can't place all civilizations until you let it pass.

Civilizations are also distributed "randomly", which in a map with most features will mean an even distribution of all races. However, dwarves only create civilizations on mountains, elves on forests, humans on plains, goblins in evil places and kobolds in caves. If you can mess with those regional preferences then you can limit certain civilizations from appearing.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:22 pm »

Greetings everybody again:) Seems, that I made some success in searching the perfect evil island for me. I cannot get rid from all the dwarves, because it seems that generator simply reject any world, that does not hold any dwarf fortress already. Still, I managed to hold them deep in the mountains, so even they send me caravans, the migrants are over after the first two waves:)
One sad thing is that I could not find any place with glumprongs and without stupid evil rains :( Maybe they are connected somehow. I also noticed that switching evil rains off lead to no terryfying bioms on the map. Only sinister and haunted. Maybe it is just coincidence:)
Anyway, if you would like to try my worlds, I attached the three seeds, I loved most:) Thank you for advices again! Let the Armok make games funny ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »

This sounds very intriging, posting to watch.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:25:21 pm »

Gypsum plaster? You can do without that. Splints do the same job.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:52:02 am »

Greetings everybody again:) Seems, that I made some success in searching the perfect evil island for me. I cannot get rid from all the dwarves, because it seems that generator simply reject any world, that does not hold any dwarf fortress already. Still, I managed to hold them deep in the mountains, so even they send me caravans, the migrants are over after the first two waves:)
One sad thing is that I could not find any place with glumprongs and without stupid evil rains :( Maybe they are connected somehow. I also noticed that switching evil rains off lead to no terryfying bioms on the map. Only sinister and haunted. Maybe it is just coincidence:)
Anyway, if you would like to try my worlds, I attached the three seeds, I loved most:) Thank you for advices again! Let the Armok make games funny ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are using Perfect World utility right?
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 02:21:55 am »

>> You are using Perfect World utility right?

Nope, just about 100 cycles in advanced world generator:)
By the way, I was wrong about immigrants, they keep coming :(

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:58 pm »

In the past, I have managed to generate worlds and embark where there are no migrants... I think I have a couple saved, I'll track them down and post them tomorrow.
If I can figure out the combination of qualities that make the world and embark such that consistently, there are no migrants, I'll do my best to isolate those parameters.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 10:07:35 am »

Here's the link to two 'nomigrant' saves/embarks from last year.

However, IIRC, this isn't the one I was thinking of, from last month, so I'll try to track that one down as well.

In the two above, even if you use dfhack to cause the migrant event, it simply says none were attracted, no matter how many times you try, despite the popcap not being met.

MightyEvilPunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »

>> vjek

Unfortunately, I have got some migrants in your "no_migrants_demonstrated" world. I will try another one though. How did you generate these worlds?

I mean, I abandoned your fortress in "no_migrants_demonstrated" world and started new in the place, I liked. Somehow, I have got migrants. Probably it depends from certain location. Perharps I will write a suggestion to add the option to game, so dwarves can live alone from migrants and caravans))
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:58:57 am by MightyEvilPunk »
Pages: [1] 2