Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90

Author Topic: Thawed (Wrapping Up)  (Read 109406 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Characters Chosen, RP Time: Now With Four 'K's!)
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2014, 11:54:16 am »

((But notes of rating make me realize a good way to solve this.
His rating was 34, the average of those accepted was...let's see...41, 41, 38, 37, 35, 33. Mostly higher, but one's lower and one not much higher...argh...))

((Wasn't there another person whose character had a rating of 34? Might be slightly fairer if both of them got in, if you don't want to kick Ensorceler out.))

((But yeah, seriously, can you handle it? If so... well, I'd do a second roster and pick the one of the subbies that you think fits best, honestly.

That way he still has a chance to get in, and other people can't get mad because they got skipped over and he just got it for free for little/no reason.))

((Alternatively this.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2014, 11:56:18 am »

If you're going to let someone new back in, consider all the applicants first please. You temporarily enraged half of us with that desicion. I agree with everyone, he shouldn't get an instant in for free while the rest of us actually had to compete to get in.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:03 am »

((Ah ok I thought you meant that you just missed his sheet entirely, well the way you slimmed down on characters was whether they were unique enough from the other members of the team. So maybe look if his character is different enough from the ones that are already in))
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2014, 12:01:52 pm »

((But yeah, seriously, can you handle it? If so... well, I'd do a second roster and pick the one of the subbies that you think fits best, honestly.

That way he still has a chance to get in, and other people can't get mad because they got skipped over and he just got it for free for little/no reason.))
Yeah, that might be best.

((But notes of rating make me realize a good way to solve this.
His rating was 34, the average of those accepted was...let's see...41, 41, 38, 37, 35, 33. Mostly higher, but one's lower and one not much higher...argh...))
((Wasn't there another person whose character had a rating of 34? Might be slightly fairer if both of them got in, if you don't want to kick Ensorceler out.))
There were also people who didn't get in who had higher ratings.

If you're going to let someone new back in, consider all the applicants first please. You temporarily enraged half of us with that desicion. I agree with everyone, he shouldn't get an instant in for free while the rest of us actually had to compete to get in.
Indeed.

((Ah ok I thought you meant that you just missed his sheet entirely, well the way you slimmed down on characters was whether they were unique enough from the other members of the team. So maybe look if his character is different enough from the ones that are already in))
It is, but...ARGH!
I think I remember why I ran so many character-bloated games before...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2014, 12:03:00 pm »

There were also people who didn't get in who had higher ratings.

((Oh, never mind then.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2014, 12:07:01 pm »

Quote from: GWG
ARGH!
((It's ok GWG, there is no 'right' answer to this. Even if you pick something nobody likes, we'll get over it, and it won't ruin your game. Do what you will.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 11, 2014, 12:09:24 pm »

((Indeed :p

Yeah, you have a hard time dropping people XD))
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 11, 2014, 12:15:22 pm »

Quote from: GWG
ARGH!
((It's ok GWG, there is no 'right' answer to this. Even if you pick something nobody likes, we'll get over it, and it won't ruin your game. Do what you will.))
((Yes, kinda. Though if you pick the guy with a lesser rating, it would be nice if everybody else had a better chance to get in in the future. But, well, we probably won't lynch you if you tell us you're the boss and the boss does what the boss wants. Or I and Lenglon won't, not sure about the others.))
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:52 pm »

((I fully support your actions.))

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:25 pm »

((I'm not going to get in anyway so I really don't mind what you do :p. He is unique enough from the other characters and he has a good rating ,he seems like quite a good candidate to me))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:20:07 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2014, 12:21:18 pm »

Indeed.

((I'm afraid I must disagree. GWG has every right in the world to pick character sheets based off a rating system, tea leaves, mathematical elimination, drunken pointing, random dice rolls, personal favoritism, etc, etc. He is the GM, his is the word of God. We are players, we failed to get in. While I admit to disappointment, it is rather unconscionable to feel rancor towards the GM for deciding to pick someone else even if they themselves were not put through the same pass/fail process as the rest of us.
   As long as GWG does not feel manipulated either way (to add or remove the seventh man), it shouldn't be a problem. The GM is the GM is the GM, he's allowed to do whatever the hell he wants. 'Fair' doesn't really enter into it.))

*Edited for random morning swearing that wasn't really justified.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:26:51 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »

Indeed.

((I'm afraid I must disagree. GWG has every right in the world to pick character sheets based off a rating system, tea leaves, mathematical elimination, drunken pointing, random dice rolls, personal favoritism, etc, etc. He is the GM, his is the word of God. We are players, we failed to get in. While I admit to disappointment, it is rather unconscionable to feel rancor towards the GM for deciding to pick someone else even if they themselves were not put through the same pass/fail process as the rest of us.
   As long as GWG does not feel manipulated either way (to add or remove the seventh man), it shouldn't be a problem. The GM is the GM is the GM, he's allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants. 'Fair' doesn't really enter into it.))
While you are certainly right that GWG can do whatever he wishes, it's less a question of "GM's right" and more of "we can't stop him anyway". If a decision that seems unfair is made, obviously somebody's gonna be pissed. Telling them not to be because the GM is boss is useless.
However, I agree that GWG can use the rating system in whichever way he pleases, and if he considers that this character should be in, he should be in.
It's just that I found the whole "stop whining guise" thing a bit pointless, is all.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2014, 12:55:28 pm »

While you are certainly right that GWG can do whatever he wishes, it's less a question of "GM's right" and more of "we can't stop him anyway". If a decision that seems unfair is made, obviously somebody's gonna be pissed. Telling them not to be because the GM is boss is useless.
However, I agree that GWG can use the rating system in whichever way he pleases, and if he considers that this character should be in, he should be in.
It's just that I found the whole "stop whining guise" thing a bit pointless, is all.

((The problem is that GWG is a good GM. You are quite right, I am essentially telling people to stop whining, but not because I am personally irritated. I'm saying it because if they keep it up, they might very well get what they want. GWG will listen to people's concerns, he will feel irrational guilt over his actions. He will feel bad because people tell him that he should feel bad, and he may even be persuaded to do something he wouldn't normally do because of it.
   To see why this might be a problem, look at it this way; GWG is David Bowie and all the players/prospective players are Sarah from the Labyrinth. Think of every time that Sarah says something is unfair. Now, still in those situations, imagine what the movie would have been like if David Bowie had replied "Oh, wait. You're right, that really is kinda harsh. Let me fix that..." instead of laughing like a demonically possessed cat. It would have been a truly terrible movie.
   Yes, you have the gist of my argument, but there is indeed a point there. One that I do not think can be ignored. Whining is a problem when there is a chance that it will make a difference, and I think that chance is very real with GWG.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »

((...I'm not sure if that's a compliment or what.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2014, 01:11:12 pm »

((Am I in?))
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90