Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to tame your dragon  (Read 3819 times)

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to tame your dragon
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »

So, some dragon attacked, and after burning 10 people to a crisp got caught in a cage. I don't seem to have any better than novice trainers, so the dragon is half-trained.
Any tips on leveling my trainers, and keeping the dragon trained? I notice trained animals tend to turn wild soon enough.

Cheers

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to tame your dragon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 05:34:32 pm »

Just make sure the dragon's assigned trainer doesn't have too many other duties.  The training will be refreshed faster than it can wear out.

ColdOneK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:50:07 pm »

I'm almost positive that theres no reason to take him out of a cage
just set it up in an animal training zone until you get him to a decent trained level
~likes grizzlies for the epicness - dwarves for their melee - prefers to drink bourbon and coke when possible - needs alcohol to get through the working day - a fat stubby creature prone to arrogance and bouts of insanity~

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:41 pm »

I'm almost positive that theres no reason to take him out of a cage

Depends on whether or not the OP wants the dragon to do some fighting.  War dragons are awesome :).

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »

Any creature is perfectly safe to have around the fortress so long as its level doesn't dip below Semi-Wild. It'll be unalterably safe if you chain it up. A chained creature does not attack dwarves no matter what level of wildness it happens to get to.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

MerkerBenson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:35:28 pm »

War dragon is my plan :)
So, how do I move the dragon to a chain? Seems every time I move a cage the creature in it escapes, except if it's already tamed.
Should I just keep a dwarf with trainer enabled and no other jobs until he's a competent trainer then move the dragon to a chain?
Cheers

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:45:05 pm »

Set the chain down, then assign the dragon to it.  You can add the dragon to the chain as soon as the first training session in the cage is over.  Just make sure that the dwarves your war dragon will eventually assist in combat all have decent shield skills.

It'll be unalterably safe if you chain it up.

Do chained dragons breathe fire?  I couldn't find any wiki info on that in particular.  I actually hope that they don't, since dragon hatchlings would be great thief-catching replacements for bears, provided they refrain from frying nearby civilians.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:47:02 pm by VerdantSF »

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »

Do chained dragons breathe fire?  I couldn't find any wiki info on that in particular.  I actually hope that they don't, since dragon hatchlings would be great thief-catching replacements for bears, provided they refrain from frying nearby civilians.

I don't think so, but I'm not entirely sure. I recall having a dragon in one of my older, most successful forts, chained up on the other side of some fortifications from a bunch of goblins I dropped through a hatch, and if I recall correctly it did nothing.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

I guess I'll give it a try.  *Crosses fingers*

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:11:02 pm »

!!Why... Yes they do!!

(had some trouble linking from Dropbox)

But there are two three problems here. Dragons can't breed in an unmodded game (forbidding you from using "hatchlings"). And the danger of burning the landscape, and any other useful items, is big.

Also, and in this awkward case (because I forced an Evil siege that later came as a torrent of ambushers), dwarves came to pick up the !!melting!! Lead cages. As soon as the dragon saw the dwarves, he instantly stopped using dragonfire, which let some goblins ambushers approach and kill him.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:22:02 pm by Doktoro Reichard »
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:20:32 pm »

Oh, I caught some dragons a while back and added [CHILD:51] to their raws :).  I just tested this out, too.  I'm glad I decided to try this with a prisoner before chaining the hatchlings close to civilian traffic!

And the danger of burning the landscape, and any other useful items, is big.

This hasn't been dangerous in my experience.  Dragonfire has completely obliterated grass and trees so that the ground wasn't actually on fire the few times I've had soldiers in the blast radius.  Perhaps I got lucky?  Regardless, fights have mostly been underground, so this hasn't been a problem.  As for the items, I've only had a dragon guarding the north entrance to my fort, so there's always been plenty of goblinite goodies from the other three gates.

As soon as the dragon saw the dwarves, he instantly stopped using dragonfire, which let some goblins ambushers approach and kill him.

I think that was a coincidence.  My first war dragon never had any issues spouting fire right over his squad of dwarves :D.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2556-istrathswrath
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 09:38:14 pm by VerdantSF »

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 10:12:01 pm »

And the danger of burning the landscape, and any other useful items, is big.

This hasn't been dangerous in my experience.  Dragonfire has completely obliterated grass and trees so that the ground wasn't actually on fire the few times I've had soldiers in the blast radius.  Perhaps I got lucky?  Regardless, fights have mostly been underground, so this hasn't been a problem.  As for the items, I've only had a dragon guarding the north entrance to my fort, so there's always been plenty of goblinite goodies from the other three gates.

Really, they don't melt upon exposure to dragonfire? Must investigate.

As soon as the dragon saw the dwarves, he instantly stopped using dragonfire, which let some goblins ambushers approach and kill him.

I think that was a coincidence.  My first war dragon never had any issues spouting fire right over his squad of dwarves :D.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2556-istrathswrath

But you seem to forget those dwarves were equipped (and hopefully) with a shield, that could deflect the dragonfire. Hence the dragon, knowing he would do harm only to the troll, had no quarrel shooting his fiery wrath upon the lowly creature.
(offtopic: what was up with that tileset!? - every character at the right was garbled and mismatched)
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:50 am »

Really, they don't melt upon exposure to dragonfire? Must investigate.

They were protected by shields.  I thought you were referring to the secondary fire damage from burning grass that has been mentioned before on the forums.  I expected my soldiers to get surrounded by a wildfire, but the dragon's blast left only ash. 

(offtopic: what was up with that tileset!? - every character at the right was garbled and mismatched)

I didn't know about turning off TrueType mode before recording movies until Quietust mentioned it :-[.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:45:21 am by VerdantSF »

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »

added [CHILD:51]
Wait, what would putting that to 51 do? I never really understood that tag

When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 09:34:28 pm »

The child tag allows breeding and the number is how old the creatures are when they become adults.
Pages: [1] 2