Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: 3DS games?  (Read 5947 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS games?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 03:16:47 pm »

Are the newer Pokemon games worth playing if you're not really into the IP but have fond memories of playing red and blue as a kid?  Have they matured at all, or are nine year olds still the target audience?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:00:57 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »

Hard to say without knowing more about what you do/don't like in a pokemon game. The plot is still pretty dumb, for example. Single player still isn't hard by any means. Multiplayer will hand your ass to you if you go up against random internet people with no life... so I don't do that. :P

On the other hand, once you're a little ways into X or Y you DO get to choose a gen 1 starter to go with the gen 6 starter. So if you're nostalgic for one of the original three starters, that's a plus. Mega-evolutions are... a little cheesy, but nonetheless fun. Hopefully others can fill in the broad strokes, as I'm someone who somewhat likes the IP, so take it with a grain of salt.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 03:32:09 pm »

OP is more than happy for other people to discuss games in this thread.

Thanks glorious OP. :)

I am in the same boat. Been doing too much Pokemon X/Y and need something refreshing to play in between Pokemon sessions.

I hasn't finished EO4 yet, but if it's anything like the others, you'll get an achievement, an item that'll unlock something at the shop, and get to go back to exploring.

So there are infinite randomly-generated dungeons?

I actually prefer SMT4 due to the artstyle and setting. Will watch some Lets Play videos.
for EO, No, but theres usually an additional area with advanced difficulty and a bunch of rare items you probably missed getting down there.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

Are the newer Pokemon games worth playing if you're not really into the IP but have fond memories of playing red and blue as a kid?  Have my matured at all, or are nine year olds still the target audience?

I started with Blue too and stopped playing at the beginning of third generation. After that many years of hiatus I was so impressed by X/Y (in its 3D glory), I bought a 3DS XL and a 2DS and I'm now back to Pokemon. I am probably biased as I love Pokemon. :p

Are you into competitive breeding and battling or just casual single player? This will determine whether you will like it or not. And you can use the first generation starters if you like. In fact, they received a mega-evolution.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 04:15:05 pm »

I have a question for you buri: What is the 2ds for? Not having the 3d is less power needed, but it looks so much more likely to get screen-cracked compared to the others with their closing hinge hiding the screens inside.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 04:45:29 pm »

Akylon, the 2DS is a spare unit. My main game is Pokemon Y on the 3DS XL and I am playing Pokemon X on 2DS to farm version-exclusive and rare items. I also use the 2DS to help me evolve Pokemons that evolve through trading as I literally only have two real life friends playing Pokemon and they're not available at all times.

I use a random mini sling bag (no padding whatsoever) that happens to be small enough yet has enough space for a 3DS XL, 2DS, charger, and plenty of room for cartridges. I carry both 3DS XL and 2DS everyday (I commute by public transport). No issue so far.

I wouldn't suggest carrying any version of the DS unprotected, especially the 2DS. TBH, I bought the 2DS because it was the cheapest option and I knew I wouldn't use it as much as 3DS XL.

EDIT: I just found out SMT4 is not even released in PAL region yet (where I live). Is it worth purchasing a US 3DS XL? :/ But that means condoning Nintendo's region-locking policy
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:36:35 pm by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 06:55:04 pm »

I've spent about 120 hours on Rune Factory 4. Near the ending, but it's quite tough on hard, so it's taking awhile.

Won't be done even then, still have to get married and have kids and explore the other bonus dungeon, so probably another 20 - 30 hours more.

I expected the voice acting to be atrocious, turns out it's pretty good. Other than during the cutscenes.

I've always been a massive Rune Factory fan and I think this one is the best out of all of them. Rune Factory 3 comes a close second because of the awesome characters (RAINBOWWWW), though I liked the story in 2 more. This one is just so polished.

----------

I'd wait for Monster Hunter 4, 3 is so stupid without multiplayer. And you only have multiplayer if you have a Wii.

I might get Bravely Default if my friends tell me it's worth it. I somewhat liked the Final Fantasy title on the DS that this one was based off of, so we'll see. Didn't like the demo too much.

SMT4 was pretty good. Bit easy though. Even on the hardest difficulty. And there's not much to do once you're done. The game isn't particularly long too, so you'll be done pretty soon. There's multiple endings, but they're more or less the same and the standard that you'd expect from a SMT game. The English VO is actually very good. I'd put it as better than Metal Gear and worse than Valve.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »

What's wrong with Monster Hunter 3U? Hell, the Freedom Unite in the PSP is hell to solo and alot of people liked that one.

Which of the Rune Factory is better because I only have enough for 1.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 07:25:49 pm »

I hasn't finished EO4 yet, but if it's anything like the others, you'll get an achievement, an item that'll unlock something at the shop, and get to go back to exploring.

So there are infinite randomly-generated dungeons?

I actually prefer SMT4 due to the artstyle and setting. Will watch some Lets Play videos.
for EO, No, but theres usually an additional area with advanced difficulty and a bunch of rare items you probably missed getting down there.
Assuming EO1 was any indication, said postgame content is really hard. Like, multiple optional bosses that will casually TPKO your max-leveled party in two turns hard. It really forces you to look at your team and play strategically, because "level up until you can steamroll it" is no longer an option.

I've spent about 120 hours on Rune Factory 4. Near the ending, but it's quite tough on hard, so it's taking awhile.

Won't be done even then, still have to get married and have kids and explore the other bonus dungeon, so probably another 20 - 30 hours more.

I expected the voice acting to be atrocious, turns out it's pretty good. Other than during the cutscenes.

I've always been a massive Rune Factory fan and I think this one is the best out of all of them. Rune Factory 3 comes a close second because of the awesome characters (RAINBOWWWW), though I liked the story in 2 more. This one is just so polished.
How would you say the voice acting is in Rune Factory 3? It was just really, really awful in 2 and there was no way to turn it off. :/

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 07:56:36 pm »

I got the undubbed version for RF3.

The English VO for anything done by whoever did those original ports was atrocious. RF2, RF3, Frontier, Ocean, etc. With RF4 they went with XSEED, so it's quite a lot better.

If you could only get one Rune Factory, I'd say go for 4. It's got more of everything. And the relationships are more in depth. I still like the characters in 3 more than 4 though. They're just so wacky and memorable.

----

A bit off topic, but since we're talking about VOs, I've actually been pretty happy with the VO options on the 3DS. Many games have dual audio options such as the incredibly excellent Fire Emblem and Bravely Default, and the games that don't have great English VOs anyway. I know a lot of people don't care about voicework as I do, but it makes me happy that the devs have tried to make people like me happy.

This was a massive problem during the DS and PS2 / 3 days. Oh god my ears suffered so much.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36:54 pm »

I have a question for you buri: What is the 2ds for? Not having the 3d is less power needed, but it looks so much more likely to get screen-cracked compared to the others with their closing hinge hiding the screens inside.

3D is bad for young children's health.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 10:40:31 pm »

I believe also longer battery life. Though I think they improved the 4 hour battery in the 3DS when they released the larger screen version.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 10:48:43 pm »

I already know that. But if you're going to make something for kids, it shouldn't look less durable, even if the rest of it is made of nintendium. You kinda need the screens.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 10:54:12 pm »

People had IPads and Tablets to kids these days. I'm sure the cheap Nintedium can stand up to them.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 11:28:14 pm »

I already know that. But if you're going to make something for kids, it shouldn't look less durable, even if the rest of it is made of nintendium. You kinda need the screens.

I haven't had an issue with the 3DS yet, but on normal DSes the hinges were notorious for breaking. Perhaps 3dses suffer the same fate in the hands of young kids, hence the no-hinge design?

Plus of course it's just that little bit cheaper because of it. It's definitely the budget console of the group.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5