Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2484301 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #31815 on: July 19, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »

Three words: Marching band camp. Did I mention it's ninety-plus degrees Fahrenheit? It's good fun.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31816 on: July 19, 2016, 03:05:29 pm »

Three words: Marching band camp. Did I mention it's ninety-plus degrees Fahrenheit? It's good fun.
Oh geez.

In general:
*much hugpat*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31817 on: July 19, 2016, 03:09:38 pm »

It's worth it though; something to do, I get to see my friends, and some of the trips we take later in the year are awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31818 on: July 19, 2016, 03:48:44 pm »

thanks everyone :D I do feel better after a nap and much hugpatting. I give you all a big hug in return.

@syvarris:

@all the hotties out there - pool party! with lots of sunscreen. Now, we just need to a) figure out where, and b) find us a wealthy patron to fund our gathering.

@Lenglon i don't remember, did you go on a camping trip or something? I knew you have been on phone only for a bit.

@chaotic what instrument?

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #31819 on: July 19, 2016, 04:22:07 pm »

Alto Saxophone

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31820 on: July 19, 2016, 05:57:55 pm »

*applies hugpats to Ozarck anyway*
* joins hugpatting, patting now intensifies to critical levels*

It's also bloody hot over here. It's getting late and cooling down, but it's still like 25-27 degrees celcius. And I'm really bad with warm weather. Sweating my ass off over here, I hate it.
*looks at Thermometer*
It's a nice day out.

Alto Saxophone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoLU6zKaws

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31821 on: July 19, 2016, 06:42:47 pm »

Hey PW, gotta game mechanics question/suggestion:
Burst mode and auto mode.
Burst fires three rounds with diminishing accuracy, say one or two points per round (i.e first round 0 penalty, second -2, third -4). expends three rounds per shot.
Auto unloads a full clip (or whatever is left in the clip currently loaded) with a straight oh, say -4 penalty to accuracy.

Auto would, of course, require a reload before next use. Perhaps burst, for balance, could require a roll for jam or reload, requiring one action to ready the weapon for the next shot.

Burst mode is, from what I understand, a pretty standard mode for military rifles, and is highly useful for increasing damage with little accuracy loss. I think urban warfare sees hte most use out of this kind of thing, whereas other kinds of battle tend toward full auto, because in those cases, mass fire is more powerful and effective.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31822 on: July 19, 2016, 07:09:17 pm »

@oz - work has me in the middle of nowhere working 12 hour shifts.

also, don't forget single shot. its used for long range fire rather often by trained shooters.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31823 on: July 19, 2016, 07:23:50 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31824 on: July 19, 2016, 07:52:53 pm »

@oz - work has me in the middle of nowhere working 12 hour shifts.

also, don't forget single shot. its used for long range fire rather often by trained shooters.
I didn't think to mention it because it is the default mode for the game, but yes, it definitely has it's place.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31825 on: July 19, 2016, 09:15:17 pm »

Hey PW, gotta game mechanics question/suggestion:
Burst mode and auto mode.
Burst fires three rounds with diminishing accuracy, say one or two points per round (i.e first round 0 penalty, second -2, third -4). expends three rounds per shot.
Auto unloads a full clip (or whatever is left in the clip currently loaded) with a straight oh, say -4 penalty to accuracy.

Auto would, of course, require a reload before next use. Perhaps burst, for balance, could require a roll for jam or reload, requiring one action to ready the weapon for the next shot.

Burst mode is, from what I understand, a pretty standard mode for military rifles, and is highly useful for increasing damage with little accuracy loss. I think urban warfare sees hte most use out of this kind of thing, whereas other kinds of battle tend toward full auto, because in those cases, mass fire is more powerful and effective.

That mostly adds unnecessary complexity (for this game at least) to a system designed to be simple and easy to use. It also doesn't fit with current ammo rules, that is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Guns don't have concrete magazine sizes, and not every gun would have burst or automatic firing modes (for example, I brought along a pump-action shotgun for one of the tests. Functionally identical to a rifle, but different flavor.)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31826 on: July 19, 2016, 10:39:59 pm »

Yeah, fire modes are way too complicated for the game.  Plus, they're blatantly OP the way Oz suggested them--deal 10x damage, but take a mere +4 penalty to your roll?  I hope the enemies can't do that.  Even in a more complex system, it's hard to figure out a good way to handle rates of fire; I'm still trying to come up with a good, balanced solution for my CQB game.

As for the ammo rules... huh, I thought we were just using ten attack mags.  I don't think we've ever respected that rule of rolling a one whenever a gun is fired.  I think PW should change the rules slightly, so that guns get five attacks per mag, and a d6 isn't rolled every time a gun is fired.  Simpler, and makes a bit more sense.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31827 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:01 pm »

My most recent musings on firing modes has led to the idea of weapons similar to current RER, but with modular weapon categories.
For example, you could buy a tier II weapon, which does 2d4 damage, in a pistol configuration, which allows it to be wielded in one hand, but lowers the damage by 2, that fires in a three-round burst, which attacks three times but adds extra cost.
For bonus points you could charge extra to be able to switch firing modes, which means you can have a rifle with both single-shot and burst if you're boring, but could also make a pistol that can switch between shotgun and sniper.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #31828 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:52 pm »

ooh so I could make my MECR Rifle non-lethal and face melting modes.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31829 on: July 19, 2016, 11:01:47 pm »

If you want to make something prohibitively expensive, sure. :P
Pages: 1 ... 2120 2121 [2122] 2123 2124 ... 2205