Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1965 1966 [1967] 1968 1969 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495517 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29490 on: March 07, 2016, 10:30:40 pm »

So... what keeps the poor from holding the mainsprings hostage?
What stops the poor from overthrowing any government and holding the worker revolution? Thats a rhetorical question, the actual answer is very complex.

As per game I'd like to run, I'm leaning ERORO or ORO, either really.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29491 on: March 07, 2016, 10:39:25 pm »

Hmm, just as an update, by my count so far ORO is beating ERORO 11 to 19.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29492 on: March 07, 2016, 11:07:01 pm »

Piecewise, how would the gameplay of Mainspring work?  Would it use an Oro-type mission system, or an abstracted MMWW system?  Or maybe it would use a detailed everyone-acts system, but groups of players are assigned to ships and act as if the ship is their char?

I updated my vote to put Mainspring at 3, but if it uses the last system I think I'll upgrade it to 2.

MidJag, you do realize that our voting system means you can alter your vote at no real cost, right?  Voting for your favorite but unpopular option won't harm your second favorite option, unlike single non-transferable vote systems.

Lastly, Egan, it's really annoying that you listed the options with ORO first, but listed the votes with ERO first.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29493 on: March 07, 2016, 11:11:34 pm »

Lastly, Egan, it's really annoying that you listed the options with ORO first, but listed the votes with ERO first.
Whatever.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29494 on: March 07, 2016, 11:45:56 pm »

Piecewise, how would the gameplay of Mainspring work?  Would it use an Oro-type mission system, or an abstracted MMWW system?  Or maybe it would use a detailed everyone-acts system, but groups of players are assigned to ships and act as if the ship is their char?

I updated my vote to put Mainspring at 3, but if it uses the last system I think I'll upgrade it to 2.

MidJag, you do realize that our voting system means you can alter your vote at no real cost, right?  Voting for your favorite but unpopular option won't harm your second favorite option, unlike single non-transferable vote systems.

Mainspring gameplay would depend on the number of players, but it would be either multiple groups each getting their own turns or maybe all players manning a single large airship and the adventures and work of that ship and its crew.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29495 on: March 08, 2016, 12:13:06 am »

Mainspring gameplay would depend on the number of players, but it would be either multiple groups each getting their own turns or maybe all players manning a single large airship and the adventures and work of that ship and its crew.
Ah, Egan, I now see why you want Mainspring to happen.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29496 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:27 am »

But can players have those wryms?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29497 on: March 08, 2016, 12:23:24 am »

Probably not THE Wyrm, but seeing as the player handbook came with skills for utilising its spawn, those war beasts are likely an option.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29498 on: March 08, 2016, 12:32:27 am »

Hm, I may have to reshuffle my votes.

I want to be Eragon

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29499 on: March 08, 2016, 12:36:59 am »

How accepted are the Fleshers? I'd imagine the places that use their beasts would at least tolerate them, but how openly can they express their faith? Yep, I'm planning on making a cultist that knocks on people's doors, preferably via miniature war beast to ask if they've accepted The Wyrm as their personal lord and saviour.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:40:58 am by Empiricist »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29500 on: March 08, 2016, 12:40:06 am »

Wait, are we talking knocking with a small warbeast? On a small warbeast? Is it an actual warbeast or just a plush toy?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29501 on: March 08, 2016, 12:43:05 am »

I'll take whatever I can get. If it means my character has to assign "the war beast" as a name for their genitals and pelvically thrust against the doors, then so be it.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29502 on: March 08, 2016, 12:46:49 am »

You say that like it isn't something that'd be near the top of the list for missionary work.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29503 on: March 08, 2016, 04:28:42 am »

Here's my suggestion: the ship is just going to go from port to port, without a final destination. A small group of PCs will board it, acting as both crew and passengers. Each PC has some sort of reason for being there, that will determine what sort of trouble their presence brings, and also their destination. So what happens is, each PC will get off at a predetermined destination, and the current crew will select someone from the waitlist, keeping in mind that they bring their inventory, skills and also the troubles with them. That Flesher could come in handy, but bear in mind they're transporting a creature whose calls attract the minions of the Wyrm. That assassin can easily dispatch unwelcome boarders, who definitely will be coming, because they're on the run after their latest hit. That captain? They aren't too well liked by merchants, who'll jack up the prices while they're here.

PCs will only be on the ship for a short amount of time. What that means is they won't level up, because by the time it happens, they'd have reached their destination to continue with their own lives, their stats no longer having any in-game significance as they've retired from being PCs. There'll be no character progression, instead, the ship itself will progress. Over time, people will upgrade it, people will modify it. It'll get its battle scars and its odd quirks. It'll get enormous cannons, and then maybe a quick passageway from the kitchen to them, because as it turns out it, they overheat too damn quickly, rendering it necessary to pour beverages over them to keep them cool in the midst of battle. It will also attract people with more interesting lifestyles, that is, higher level PCs.

So your character will not themselves level up, but by keeping the ship going, subsequent characters will automatically be higher level. It's like a succession fortress of sorts, with everyone progressively altering the ship, until it's a terrifyingly powerful but utterly unholy mess of clockwork and flesh, with a cannon that for whatever reason fires straight into the mess hall, wiring that goes nowhere, and a gimpy mainspring that despite already being replaced by another, has been left there as a decoy for would-be saboteurs, because the cash needed to uninstall it got blown on the maze of decorative statues on the upper deck. And because PCs will retire quickly, there's no need for the waitlisters to wish death on the current batch.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 04:57:29 am by Empiricist »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29504 on: March 08, 2016, 06:38:08 am »

Heee hee hee heh heh heh HA HA HA HA HA!

[BAY12 INTENSIFIES]
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1965 1966 [1967] 1968 1969 ... 2205