Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1962 1963 [1964] 1965 1966 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495649 times)

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29445 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:17 pm »

Here's my thing: I like bits of them both -- I like the focused nature of ORO, and the whole idea of reclaiming bits of a hostile world, and the whole not-being-tied-to-ER-lore, but I also like the open-ended-ness and less deadly-fightishness of ERORO. What I want most out of either, though, is something that would work in either -- a system where we schlubs off-mission could go between settlements and be involved in decisions, impromptu defense, planning out the next mission to send, etc. Something less intensely-updated, but not unstructured RP. If the out-of-mission-space is unstructured RP, I would not play, as I simply don't think I'd be adding anything of value as a character and don't just want to wait for my turn on a mission. I'd prefer a system where I could do stuff that matters while never having to go on mission, actually.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29446 on: March 07, 2016, 01:27:40 am »

I just changed my vote very slightly.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29447 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:37 am »

I just want to capture piecewise and upload him into immortal god-computer format like they did with the Commander from X-COM 2 so it'll only take a fraction of his mental capacity to run all those games.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29448 on: March 07, 2016, 05:15:50 am »

Piecewise senpai, I'm watching your Darksouls series, and I love your voice. <3
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29449 on: March 07, 2016, 05:22:45 am »

Is this our cue to suggest that Piecewise run some sort of horrible, horrible dating sim set in a conglomeration of Oro, MMWW, Mainspring, ER and Homunculus? Just play as Sanctor-san as he attempts to get Lurker-sempai to return his affections :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:35:32 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29450 on: March 07, 2016, 10:08:16 am »

... If it involves MAINSPRING, count me in.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29451 on: March 07, 2016, 10:20:00 am »

Is this our cue to suggest that Piecewise run some sort of horrible, horrible dating sim set in a conglomeration of Oro, MMWW, Mainspring, ER and Homunculus? Just play as Sanctor-san as he attempts to get Lurker-sempai to return his affections :P
I mean, they did that anime where all the lovecraft alien deities are portrayed as little girls so why not.

Crawling chaos indeed.

Piecewise senpai, I'm watching your Darksouls series, and I love your voice. <3
Well, ds3 comes out in april so get ready for more of it.

You're not the first person to tell me this though.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29452 on: March 07, 2016, 10:25:48 am »

Okay, real talk for a second here, how the fuck do lovecraftian entities work? Like, number one how do they get cultists to start with? Are you telling me there are entire groups of people who can look at them and not go insane long enough that they decide 'hey, I'm gonna worship that!'? Like, why is this power seemingly not available to the rest of the population? And secondly, how do people even perceive them if they are apparently things we technically can't sense them quite right? Like, if that was the case, why don't I just kind of fill in the blanks with whatever eldritch horror looking like Obama or Putin?

... I hate lovecraftian horror stories okay?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29453 on: March 07, 2016, 10:32:28 am »

-nyarko-san-
RRRGHRYGHUTHSTSHTYFJTUTHTF
no japan
no
no ruining concept of Nyarlathotep for me
bad
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29454 on: March 07, 2016, 10:34:42 am »

You're not the first person to tell me this though.
I can second what they told you, your voice is pretty comfy to listen to and your commentary is usually entertaining as well. It takes a turn for the weird sometimes when you do those videos when you're sleepy, which is fun as well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29455 on: March 07, 2016, 10:38:13 am »

So, MAINSPRING with eldrich anime girls? I can work with that.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29456 on: March 07, 2016, 10:42:43 am »

im tempted to watch it next time I go over my friends house.

not out of any real interest in the setting, i just think it might give us some "what the fuck were these guys smoking" type laughs.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29457 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:36 am »

im tempted to watch it next time I go over my friends house.

not out of any real interest in the setting, i just think it might give us some "what the fuck were these guys smoking" type laughs.
Apparently it's mostly japanese pop culture references. There's an entire blog dedicated to explaining them.

Okay, real talk for a second here, how the fuck do lovecraftian entities work? Like, number one how do they get cultists to start with? Are you telling me there are entire groups of people who can look at them and not go insane long enough that they decide 'hey, I'm gonna worship that!'? Like, why is this power seemingly not available to the rest of the population? And secondly, how do people even perceive them if they are apparently things we technically can't sense them quite right? Like, if that was the case, why don't I just kind of fill in the blanks with whatever eldritch horror looking like Obama or Putin?

They actually do explain this in a few stories. Most of the cults relating to these things are formed with intermediaries. Cthulhu is worshiped by humans that learned about him and interbred with the deep ones, his much less insanity causing fish-people spawn. So there's layers of beings between your weak fleshy mind and the octopus god you can't comprehend and they are the ones telling you about him.

Other times they are considered to be mythical creatures, worshiped like people used to worship earth spirits.

The only instance I remember of direct connections is with Nyarthrahotep. (http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/crc.aspx) The thing about him is that he is described as being a shape shifter and really the only old god with the ability to understand and manipulate humans. In the poem linked above, the narrator describes how he came and gathered converts via "miracles" and manipulated the populace by putting a mask of benevolence over the reality of his actions.

An alternative explanation can be found in the "Laundry" series by Stross in which cultists to the dark powers are either trying to manipulate these powers, don't know exactly what it is they're worshiping or more often than not are a product of fatalism.  The specific idea being that these things are coming, there's literally no way to stop them, so the best you can do is try to get on their good side and hope you are allowed to survive or at least die painlessly.

The idea of "Going insane the instant you see them" is actually not used that often in the original works either. Very few beings seemed to possess that level of strangeness. Most of the time it just so offended the 1900's sensibilities of the gentlemen in question as to cause them to become very distraught, but not completely insane.

-nyarko-san-
RRRGHRYGHUTHSTSHTYFJTUTHTF
no japan
no
no ruining concept of Nyarlathotep for me
bad
From what I hear they use lovecraft names and aliens but the aliens are portrayed as more...aliens than incomprehensible otherworldly god beings.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29458 on: March 07, 2016, 01:08:24 pm »

Do you hate Lovecraft or the "Lovecraftian" eldritch horror pop culture vibe thingy?

He's an... alright writer. Not particularly inspired, as far as I could see. A little like Poe, though Poe's stuff was tighter, in that he's more noticeable for the contributions to a genre than for what he actually made.

And the pop culture version of "Lovecraft" really depends on how it's done. I'd be a bit surprised to find someone trying to do something fully in Lovecraft's style in a non ironical or updated manner, but noone does.
One wheel short of a wagon

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29459 on: March 07, 2016, 01:14:16 pm »

@Piecewise:  huh.

@NJW:  Mostly I dislike the entire vibe. Same reason I don't like really dark shit unless it's also going to joke about itself. Too much 'everything will suck, either now or eventually'. Like, where is the fun in that?

On a side note, I'm curious as to why people as voting for Oro or ERORO. Is it for the setting or the difference in style? Personally I'm voting for Eroro because I don't like the style straight Oro would be. I prefer my darkness with humor rather than angst.
Pages: 1 ... 1962 1963 [1964] 1965 1966 ... 2205