Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1959 1960 [1961] 1962 1963 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495868 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29400 on: March 06, 2016, 11:33:20 am »

I think I prefer ERO, if only because I want to see what PW would come up with for the friendly/not hostile tribes. And also so I can give them smallpox as is commanded by my American spirit.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29401 on: March 06, 2016, 11:45:29 am »

Dammit, Piecewise. Now I'm second-guessing my choice.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #29402 on: March 06, 2016, 12:42:20 pm »

I think I prefer ERO, if only because I want to see what PW would come up with for the friendly/not hostile tribes. And also so I can give them smallpox as is commanded by my American spirit.
Calling it ERO may be ill advised.

Ooh, I like the sound of both of those.

I feel like ORO would be a very focused game, with clear goals and objectives, while ERORO would be more laid back and free form. ORO would probably also be a shorter, but also much harder, game, and be rather combat/survival focused (and benefit from player structures to guide the struggle against the city). ERORO on the other hand looks to be more about exploring and interacting with the environment.

Secondly, I feel like ORO would probably be a much more serious game, with less room for shenanigans and hilarious failure, especially if mistakes and failure are punished by the ever hostile city. While ERORO has more room for things spiraling out of control without it immediately dooming everyone or every mistake being brutally punished with death and misery.

Am I interpreting things correctly here?

Not sure about the mini missions, sound interesting in concept but I'd like to see them play out in some sort of test first.
You're right for the most part. ERORO might spiral and murder you quickly too, but less often.

I'll get a mini mission example running soon, I just have to set up the system for it.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29403 on: March 06, 2016, 12:51:35 pm »

What about kERO
Because it sounds like laughing turning into a japanese frog.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29404 on: March 06, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »

Calling it ERO may be ill advised.

Ooh, I like the sound of both of those.

I feel like ORO would be a very focused game, with clear goals and objectives, while ERORO would be more laid back and free form. ORO would probably also be a shorter, but also much harder, game, and be rather combat/survival focused (and benefit from player structures to guide the struggle against the city). ERORO on the other hand looks to be more about exploring and interacting with the environment.

Secondly, I feel like ORO would probably be a much more serious game, with less room for shenanigans and hilarious failure, especially if mistakes and failure are punished by the ever hostile city. While ERORO has more room for things spiraling out of control without it immediately dooming everyone or every mistake being brutally punished with death and misery.

Am I interpreting things correctly here?

Not sure about the mini missions, sound interesting in concept but I'd like to see them play out in some sort of test first.
You're right for the most part. ERORO might spiral and murder you quickly too, but less often.

I'll get a mini mission example running soon, I just have to set up the system for it.

By the way, these are the current poll results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Normally I'd close down the poll now, but seeing as how we just got some more information I'll leave it open a little longer in case people wanna change their vote. That said, ERORO is winning with a decent enough margin now that we could also just close down the poll and declare it the winner.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29405 on: March 06, 2016, 01:02:01 pm »

2 votes? 2/13 is a 16% lead. But its also, like, just two people.
One wheel short of a wagon

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29406 on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:41 pm »

2 votes? 2/13 is a 16% lead. But its also, like, just two people.
It was a 3 vote difference, but someone literally just voted for ORO again (or rather changed their vote) in the time between me posting and you posting. Maybe we should just declare ERORO the winner quickly before the forces of annoyance convene to make it even again.

Anyways, I'm leaving it up for a while longer, unless pw asks otherwise.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29407 on: March 06, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »

Why don't we just remove the lowest options first. Let them vote for their second best choice.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29408 on: March 06, 2016, 01:12:18 pm »

It was me. I think ER-oro is a slightly pointless compromise, mashing two differently desgned things together, when we could just yell at PW until he makes something everyone wants.

Also, should we try one more poll, just Eroro/Oro? Might get rid of the difference.
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #29409 on: March 06, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »

So now the issue at hand is: focused, difficult, combat-oriented and serious vs open ended, more casual, player activity oriented and potentially wacky?

Edit: why are we still taking in so many new players for ER? Most of them are likely to get a whole one mission in, if they are lucky, and with sixty players already ...

Ah well. I don't mind. We could send them to some of our new universes as test subjects any time PW feels like whittling the numbers down.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:07:47 pm by Ozarck »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #29410 on: March 06, 2016, 02:16:18 pm »

I propose we make a final poll in its own thread, where people vote by post, like syv suggested. I also suggest Syv creates that thread, since I think he'd be best at setting up the rules. One of us wiki guys could tally the votes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29411 on: March 06, 2016, 02:42:29 pm »

Eh, I'd personally either just go with the results of the current poll, or make a new wiki poll with the final 2 choices. Seems like a lot less hassle than making new threads and the like, though it would be indeed more 'secure' (then again, do we really need great security to decide over the next silly forum game we play? This isn't ocean's eleven or something).

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29412 on: March 06, 2016, 03:11:33 pm »

Okay, since Radio forgot that I wanted ORO over ERO, I'm just gonna vote again in the poll.  That put it up to 12-13.  I thiiink Aigre hasn't voted yet either, and when he voted in IRC, he went with ORO.  I'll PM him just to check if we're actually still tied.

Also, Paris, why would I be better at making a voting thread than anyone else?  I have made literally one thread before--I am not an experienced master of threadcrafting.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29413 on: March 06, 2016, 03:15:07 pm »

Okay, since Radio forgot that I wanted ORO over ERO, I'm just gonna vote again in the poll.  That put it up to 12-13.  I thiiink Aigre hasn't voted yet either, and when he voted in IRC, he went with ORO.  I'll PM him just to check if we're actually still tied.

Also, Paris, why would I be better at making a voting thread than anyone else?  I have made literally one thread before--I am not an experienced master of threadcrafting.
One can normally change his vote, so I thought you may had done so already.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29414 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:11 pm »

My vote didn't change the total for MMWW, so I wouldn't qualify it as a change.  I was also avoiding double-voting, just because you're generally supposed to not double-vote in polls, despite it not actually mattering in this case.  Eh, problem's solved now, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 1959 1960 [1961] 1962 1963 ... 2205