Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2484442 times)

Nunzillor

Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #26385 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:21 pm »

That does seem somewhat definitive as a death.

Why was he attacking Renen again?
Doctor told him to kill Renen, for upgrades.  I knew this outcome was pretty much a certainty, but it seemed IC, so...

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26386 on: January 12, 2016, 05:06:45 pm »

That does seem somewhat definitive as a death.

Why was he attacking Renen again?
He wanted custom augmentations. To qualify for that, you need to kill the Doctor's current project. The current project being a prototype for mass produced Arbiters of Peace. I don't think he was actually aware of Renen's capabilities.

I have no idea how qr codes work, so I just googled it. Couldn't find anything.
You need to get a QR reader app for your phone or a chrome extension to go to what it links to.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26387 on: January 12, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »

I think the code is corrupt. Missing the alignment parts that tell the  algorithm where to start decoding. I think you can fix it by repainting them. Can't try that from my phone though, maybe when I get back to my PC. Edit: Some QR codes offer  redundancy, so even if other parts of the code have also been tampered with, it might still be recoverable.
Corrupt? What did it give you, exactly?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26388 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

I think the code is corrupt. Missing the alignment parts that tell the  algorithm where to start decoding. I think you can fix it by repainting them. Can't try that from my phone though, maybe when I get back to my PC. Edit: Some QR codes offer  redundancy, so even if other parts of the code have also been tampered with, it might still be recoverable.
Corrupt? What did it give you, exactly?
It didn't give me anything. It demanded that I bribe it first :P

Tried two different online QR code readers on it and neither of them worked.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #26389 on: January 12, 2016, 05:25:27 pm »

Fixed it, merely a matter of inversion. Looks like most QR code readers don't check for inversion. EDIT: And by that I mean bright/dark differentiation. They don't attempt to think that black is white. I'm not making sense, am I? Let me upload the fixed to demonstrate. EDIT2: Here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT3: Link to decoded result: https://zxing.org/w/decode?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi896.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac165%2Fparisbre56%2Ffixed_qr_zps3jk765op.png
EDIT4: I got confused myself for a moment due to the inversion. Thought that black square with the dot in it was a misplaced alignment indicator and that the corner alignment indicators were missing their insides. Didn't realise it was inverted. Thought that piecewise had purposefully removed part of the QR code to make it unreadable and started coming up with ways to fix it. Looks like my mind went for the needlessly complex explanation instead of the simplest one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:33:04 pm by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26390 on: January 12, 2016, 05:26:37 pm »

Uh huh. And where did it take you?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26391 on: January 12, 2016, 05:29:10 pm »

(As I said, those force mono-blades are sharp but they don't have the slicing, eroding power of a monoatomic razor, they still only cut as deep as a sharp blade can cut.)
Just to confirm: 1)While they don't have the eroding power and depend on the usual "cutting" mechanics, the cutting edge is still monoatomically thin, right? (So "as deep as an absolutely sharp blade"?)
2)Technically, the two blades used in this fight were identical save for the material/technology, right?

(Because the force mono-blades were directly based off that same Doctor-brand monosword, only with forcefields instead of spacemagically arranged atoms.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26392 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:06 pm »

name one character in ER that has survived direct brain trauma.

ER has magical meta-tech that prevents degradation yes, but it lacks the medical tech to repair damaged brains.

ergo, nun's character be fucked.
Lukas?  He had direct brain trauma.  Everyone who has used Green Storm, too.  Regardless, my point is that Iveson might not have suffered direct brain trauma--it's entirely possible to draw two lines across a human head, and have neither of them intersect the brain.  We've had plenty of people kill others while specifically avoiding the brain, so that the person could be revived.  I could see Renen doing so, and I could certainly see Grunhill doing so.  Even if the cuts did intersect his brain, IIRC Renen's blade is a true monoatomic blade, and causes almost no damage aside from seperation; it's possible that ER tech is advanced enough to just... squish the pieces back together and repair them, albeit probably with severe stat loss.  To be honest, I agree with you, and do think Iveson's probably dead--I'm just saying that it's possible he isn't.

@Nik You might want to post that somewhere PW is guaranteed to see it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #26393 on: January 12, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »

Uh huh. And where did it take you?
Nowhere. It's just text. Maybe the text needs to be decoded. Maybe it's part of a cipher. If you're lucky, it's a simple substitution cipher. Maybe it's something more complex and it needs you to use the other text you had gotten in the past as a key. Maybe the data is not actually supposed to be considered to be text, maybe you're supposed to treat it as HEX numbers. EDIT: Or maybe it's just piecewise messing with your mind.

Anyway, updated my original post with more info: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135884.msg6732600#msg6732600
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:37:20 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26394 on: January 12, 2016, 05:43:03 pm »

Fixed it, merely a matter of inversion. Looks like most QR code readers don't check for inversion. EDIT: And by that I mean bright/dark differentiation. They don't attempt to think that black is white. I'm not making sense, am I? Let me upload the fixed to demonstrate. EDIT2: Here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EDIT3: Link to decoded result: https://zxing.org/w/decode?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi896.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac165%2Fparisbre56%2Ffixed_qr_zps3jk765op.png
EDIT4: I got confused myself for a moment due to the inversion. Thought that black square with the dot in it was a misplaced alignment indicator and that the corner alignment indicators were missing their insides. Didn't realise it was inverted. Thought that piecewise had purposefully removed part of the QR code to make it unreadable and started coming up with ways to fix it. Looks like my mind went for the needlessly complex explanation instead of the simplest one.
It's not corrupted. That  decoded result is right.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26395 on: January 12, 2016, 05:44:39 pm »

Well then.
It appears that we have a thing to decode.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26396 on: January 12, 2016, 05:45:25 pm »

Abigail dident like iveson well much at all but....she dident want to see that happen to him.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #26397 on: January 12, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »

@PW: Yeah, you're right, it's not corrupted. I just got confused by the inversion and thought it was corrupted. That's basically what I was trying to say.

I'm tired, so the amount of sense my words make will probably keep degrading.

Abigail dident like iveson well much at all but....she dident want to see that happen to him.
When you stab the illegitimate love child of a skeletal cyborg samurai and The Flash with a knife, you usually forfeit your right to live and get put up for a Darwin award. That, or you get really lucky and become the cyborg samurai. But the Highlander percentage is not very high, especially when the samurai has trained with the Doctor and survived a fight with him.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26398 on: January 12, 2016, 05:56:51 pm »

name one character in ER that has survived direct brain trauma.

ER has magical meta-tech that prevents degradation yes, but it lacks the medical tech to repair damaged brains.

ergo, nun's character be fucked.
Lukas?  He had direct brain trauma.  Everyone who has used Green Storm, too.  Regardless, my point is that Iveson might not have suffered direct brain trauma--it's entirely possible to draw two lines across a human head, and have neither of them intersect the brain.  We've had plenty of people kill others while specifically avoiding the brain, so that the person could be revived.  I could see Renen doing so, and I could certainly see Grunhill doing so.  Even if the cuts did intersect his brain, IIRC Renen's blade is a true monoatomic blade, and causes almost no damage aside from seperation; it's possible that ER tech is advanced enough to just... squish the pieces back together and repair them, albeit probably with severe stat loss.  To be honest, I agree with you, and do think Iveson's probably dead--I'm just saying that it's possible he isn't.

@Nik You might want to post that somewhere PW is guaranteed to see it

@Nik You might want to post that somewhere PW is guaranteed to see it.
Yes, but remember that the green storm event caused irreparable damage and permanent skill loss.
also im not sure Lukas counts, didnt the Doc turn him into some sort of robocop styled brain/computer hybrid?

also even if you could push the four brain quarters back together, do you have any idea how hard it would be to get all of those tiny blood vessels connected back together correctly? one misstep and the guy would die anyway...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:58:46 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26399 on: January 12, 2016, 05:57:34 pm »

Cheeky prick, no sabotaging my rebuttals.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:59:17 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 1758 1759 [1760] 1761 1762 ... 2205