Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487784 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #25050 on: November 28, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »

Huh, I'll take a look at it.  I wonder if it's any good?
I haven't read it. It might be. But ask yourself, will it ever be as good as the original thing, lovingly crafted by our very own OG, P-Dubs?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25051 on: November 28, 2015, 07:43:47 pm »

I have exactly two three issues with that game, so far. And I don't intend to read far enough to find out if hte style and humor are as awful as suggested. First issue: the blatant plagerism. Second issue: the lack of genuine accreditation - more a corollary of the first, come to think of it. Third issue: the paypal link. Look, ethically, if you are going to make money off an ER clone, at least acknowledge the source openly, and the copying, and of course, discuss it with the GM of said original. perhaps even kick a few back to the old man. After all, otherwise you are stealing intellectual property and lots of someone else' work.

That said, if the GM of that game puts effort into the ruleset, the armory items, besides the ripoff items, and the tone and, well, gm-ing of his game, well and good. Just ... give credit, and credits, where due, man. I mean, come on.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #25052 on: November 28, 2015, 07:51:10 pm »

As we lack the capability to create piecewise clones with our current technology, we should instead invest in a brainwashing program to make others believe they are piecewise. Then we can gather all the skeletons and have a skeleton dance party.

That or maybe have piecewise use advertising or charge royalties for games inspired from his games, so he can work on them full time.

And to avoid Poe's law, I hereby state that that the above was a joke.

Only thing I'm surprised is that Talvieno didn't post about it here, although I have to assume they at least sent Piecewise a PM out of courtesy. Because it's OK to get inspired by something, but I find it a bit impolite to copy something almost completely without at least asking for permission or giving a small notification first.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:01:26 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #25053 on: November 28, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but apparently the REKT guys get personal coffins they fly around in. That's so damn luxurious.

I'll read a bit more to see what the setup entails because I might actually go die in their general direction.

EDIT: they have a psychopathic cyborg space goat I'm in
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:00:12 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25054 on: November 28, 2015, 08:19:03 pm »

Talvieno. He's on Bay12. Not sure if he's ever played? Might have been one of those guys who put up a character but then promptly went braindead.

I'd say "loosely based on Einsteinian Roulette" is a good way to put it. As far as I understand it, that thing's more of a ship game, hence the CASKETs and whatnot. It's largely highly similar rather than plagiaristic, is my line of thinking. Shares a lot of mechanics and the general layout of weapons, and the premise of the first mission is similar (though it appears to play out very differently than Mission 1).

The writing style is quite different, though, in that it's more like what I write while GMing than piecewise's much more impersonal, bleaker stuff. It's not particularly funny, but I don't think it's meant to be most of the time. Glad he doesn't ape the style, at least (well, apart from the ripped intro/some of SCAMPS' lines), since those bits are admittedly a little unpleasant to read.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25055 on: November 28, 2015, 08:29:49 pm »

Harry, the opening post, and from what someone said a few comments back, the armory entries, were essentially copy pasted with a couple name changes. That's literally plagiarism. Whether the game later changed or whatever, enough of the premise is plagiarized to be irritating. I never went deep enough, but it would be hard to plagarize a complete game with actuall players, beyond the set up, lol.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25056 on: November 28, 2015, 08:38:34 pm »

Harry, the opening post, and from what someone said a few comments back, the armory entries, were essentially copy pasted with a couple name changes. That's literally plagiarism. Whether the game later changed or whatever, enough of the premise is plagiarized to be irritating. I never went deep enough, but it would be hard to plagarize a complete game with actuall players, beyond the set up, lol.
eh they coulda just copy pasted the entire thread and the characters if they really wanted to go hardcore plagiarism.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25057 on: November 28, 2015, 08:50:59 pm »

Eh I suppose I'll maybe end up making a sheet for that sooner or later. I'll update y'all if I do or not. Too tired right now.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25058 on: November 28, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »

Yeah, I know. Not sure if the universe has the same concepts attached to it, though.

What I mean is that the plagiaristic elements just make up the very surface and make it easy to be dismissive of the game as a whole, when really it does seem to be a somewhat different beast underneath the skeletonic shell it has taken on.

True to form, though, the game appears to be in the process of rapidly subsuming the Creative Writing section of that forum. Granted, it is a pretty small forum.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:05:51 pm by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25059 on: November 28, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »

Scummy game origin makes scummy game. Doesn't matter how it evolves.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25060 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »

Wow, I can't beleive it has been a year since Piecewise gave me the wonderful birthday present of going beserk and attacking my teammates on the haebi mission! But seriously... holy shit, it's been a year since the haebi mission

Edit: Also... wow. That is some pretty hardcore plagiarism, right down to the green text... >.>
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:51:37 pm by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25061 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:52 pm »

There's pretty serious plagiarism going on there.  Yes, the game is different, but he literally copy pasted a vast amount of ER stuff for the beginning information--And replaced irrelevant terms like 'the state' with 'humanity', or 'can opener' with 'toothbrush', making it clear he's (poorly) trying to disguise the plagiarism.  The only originality seems to be that it's primarily ship based, rather than infantry based.  Would it really have been too much work to create an original introduction?

However, I haven't read any of the mission thread yet.  I will sometime, and I'll probably join, if only to torture tinker.  It seems Talvy hasn't had his tinker virginity taken yet. :}

Edit: Aww.  Seems they do have a armory suggestions thread, although it doesn't look like real tinker.

Also: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4473&start=45#p98901
Quote from: Talvieno
Quote from: Dinosawyer
I want to applaud you on the effort you're putting in this, by the way
Thanks! :) It's fun putting it together. Lot of work, but I think it'll be worth it.

This might just refer to setting up the first mission, but I feel like pointing it out anyway.  I guess I'll be using the trollier of my two character concepts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25062 on: November 28, 2015, 09:55:25 pm »

The poor man.
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #25063 on: November 28, 2015, 10:29:18 pm »

Well, to be fair, PW never really trademarked ER, did he?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #25064 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:09 pm »

plagiarism doesn't require a trademark. One can plagiarize another student's homework, for instance.
Pages: 1 ... 1669 1670 [1671] 1672 1673 ... 2205