Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487947 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #17835 on: June 09, 2015, 05:28:40 pm »

That was kind of a weird conversation on both sides, I thought.

I really do want to see that fleshknitter vegetable, though. I can understand being wary when PW asks "do you have an amp" before doing it, though.

Yeah. Well, whatever goes.

When piecewise asks stuff like that you know that a scenario stands a chance of being a runner up for the unofficial "who screws up the most" competition.
that actually is an indicator that this might work. however, I'm still not doing it right now because *not giving the GM ideas if he hasn't already thought of what I'm thinking of*.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: June 09, 2015, 05:29:42 pm »

My opinion on prototypes is about the same as always.  They serve no functional purpose, and there's a very good argument for simply removing the prototyping process entirely.  Arguments that prototyping allows tinkerers to figure out the value of certain design choices hold no water, because what happens on missions depends on so many variables that it's essentially random.  A gauss rifle will never penetrate protectorate armor... unless the user is really competent, happens to roll well, has their power enhanced by plot, PW forgets that the enemy is wearing protectorate amor, PW forgets that gauss rifles aren't that strong, etc...

As a tinkerer, I somewhat like having my stuff be used.  Obviously, I'll enjoy it more if prototyping stays, because it serves as free advertising and gets my stuff used more often.  I'd also like it if equipment was given to a person, and they get to keep it, because then my stuff will be used in every mission that person participates in.  This isn't the core of my existence though, and I'd be mostly fine if none of my stuff ever got used.

I can't really comment very well on balance, because I think things are fine as-is.  I don't think using prototypes as a mechanic to boost newbies is good, though, because it's too variable and random.  Some people will get +10 deathtubes of skewering, or +5 upgraded ultra assaultsuits, while other people will get the "slightly better assault rifle!", or worse, the "+1 pistol of cheapness".  Even if the prototype assignments are as fair as possible, our shipments vary widely in volume and composition--sometimes we ship lots of high powered WMDs, other times we ship a small trickle of cheap things.

@To decapitate, or not to decapitate

My opinion is that decapitation is clearly wrong.  I think it's highly unlikely the shuttle will be killed if it sits for an extra turn, and even if there were eight full corpses, they could probably all be loaded by one guy saying "I load corpses".

It's a good IC event, though.  I like to think Elias was panicked and terrified out of his mind (which happens far too rarely), and was making bad decisions because of that.  I do dislike that he said so much stuff he was probably sitting there arguing for five minutes at least, but people probably won't stop abusing their free actions any time soon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: June 09, 2015, 05:33:37 pm »

((That reminds me, do the rescue teams get level ups? Are we at least getting hazard pay for this?))
We get the respect and adoration of our peers, a strong case of the warm fuzzies, and a ten dollar voucher at Spaceburgerpizza.
What more could you want?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #17838 on: June 09, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »

A good book, maybe?

EDIT: Ooh, my voucher was upgraded from a five dollar one to a ten dollar one! That makes up for everything!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:37:55 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: June 09, 2015, 06:56:54 pm »

I'll post here for new character feedback, title says "NEW PLAYER INFO" so I assume this is the place for it :P (also would like general useful tips, what's on the ship, stuff going on, things like that).
Spoiler: Prototype character? (click to show/hide)

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: June 09, 2015, 07:17:51 pm »

I'll post here for new character feedback, title says "NEW PLAYER INFO" so I assume this is the place for it :P (also would like general useful tips, what's on the ship, stuff going on, things like that).
Spoiler: Prototype character? (click to show/hide)

((There's not a whole lot going on on-ship right now, because we're wrapping up missions 19 and 20. I hope so, anyway. I'd check out the armory before you finalize your character, so you can be certain that your stats compliment the gear you want. The Player Market (also on the wiki) is great for cheap stuff, but there isn't much there at the moment. There are some affordable Nyars boxes too, if you want to take a gamble.

Right now might be a good time to do some character development, if you care about that at all. Or you could tinker.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17841 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:17 pm »

By the way.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355240/

You can't even comprehend how great it is.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: June 09, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »

By the way.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/355240/

You can't even comprehend how great it is.

I... need this.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:42 pm »

Piecewise, you should definitely get that and then let's play it.  It looks perfect for you.

@thegamemaster
When you decide to finalize your character, you should post in the on-ship thread.  You'll start with five tokens, and can buy stuff from the armory in the same post that you put your char sheet in.  If you want more tokens, I'm willing to offer a loan.

Also, there will likely be several equipment prototypes available for the next mission (your first), unless PW decides to change that mechanic.  Prototype equipment is next-gen equipment made by R&D players, which is free for one mission.  It's a nice boost to get.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: June 10, 2015, 12:21:05 am »

(Warning: This post was made under the influence of delicious alcoholic beverages)

If prototyping sticks around, I'd like just one version of the thing to be offered in the armory at a discount. My reasoning is that is you can't get a single person interested in your item at a price reduction, how much can it really be worth?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17845 on: June 10, 2015, 04:51:07 am »

Just saw some of piecewise's lets plays, to get more of an idea about whose world I'm in. Good grief.

"I've always had a fetish for murder, but f*cking murderinng people with safes... (languid sigh)"
One wheel short of a wagon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: June 10, 2015, 05:23:37 am »

Just saw some of piecewise's lets plays, to get more of an idea about whose world I'm in. Good grief.

"I've always had a fetish for murder, but f*cking murderinng people with safes... (languid sigh)"
Quick note, he despises minmaxers, so don't put more than one or two stats at -1, and don't even think of going to -2 unless it's something like Exotic and even then it's tempting fate.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: June 10, 2015, 05:34:14 am »

Great, thanks for the tip! Too late to change now, though. Dismemberment awaits!
One wheel short of a wagon

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: June 10, 2015, 07:49:21 am »

Piecewise:  It was brought to my attention that Lars has a bit of a discrepancy.  He's been using the PSL which is listed at Exo/+2 Str for requirements, but he is actually +0.  That said, he's in a battlesuit.  Is this an acceptable compromise or is he actually ineligible?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: June 10, 2015, 08:09:22 am »

Wasn't "weight/strength" stuff changed to suit type?
 human->robody->HRB->synthflesh->Battlesuit->general miyamoto->spinal-mount-on-the-Sword
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2205