Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494393 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #16740 on: May 04, 2015, 09:59:03 pm »

No problem; we'll find something silly and trivial to argue about while you're gone!

For example the connection between Haebi and Altered. I propose that Altered were hybrid of Haebi DNA and "flesh of god".
I doubt it.  If we had quality sampling of Haebi flesh, why do we need to go get some more?  Given that the "Flesh of God" and Altered are both human-based constructs, and the Haebi are completely alien, how could we splice them together?  They might not even have DNA, and even if they do have something equivalent, it's probably so differently structured as to be wholly unable to be combined in any meaningful way- only imitated.
Why not the other way around? The Haebi are just Altered that are trying to lay low and keep the space magic to the minimum while they wait for humanity to be ready for another invasion.

Irrelevant, we could do something like the bar, but instead of making up drinks, we can make up ice scream flavours names.
I have two ideas on this. Both basically amount to convergent evolution.

The first and less interesting idea is that they're Altered-like because it's a convenient, powerful way to get things done in this universe, similar to how a lot of different critters can fly even though they're not closely related.

The second and more fascinating notion is that the Haebi are Altered... but they're Haebi Altered, not Human Altered. It's possible that becoming Altered is just sort of a natural step in the evolution of a species, similar to inventing fire or mechanization. In the event that they promptly panic and kill all the fire witches or machine traitors, they'd still have to contend with others who didn't, which might make them wonder what's up with that.

In the case of Altered specifically, it might also help explain how they came about in the first place- it might be that some of the Make Things Better genes happened to be Altered-oriented, and so they eventually reached a critical mass and activated.

Interesting thing that this doesn't necessarily answer- I forget what they're called, but you might recall that every single human world that was cut off from the rest of humanity, advanced past the UWM, and has then been rediscovered is in relatively pristine but completely uninhabited condition, and we don't know why. The planets themselves are still there, which seems to suggest that the inhabitants didn't go full Altered and ascend to space, but there being a sort of natural life span to human-looking civilizations could help explain why they're always gone.

Alternatively the UWM just murders them, but I wouldn't expect that to be anywhere near that clean.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: May 04, 2015, 10:14:13 pm »

You're thinking of quiet worlds.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: May 04, 2015, 10:19:52 pm »

The path of the medic begins! I shall be the most compassionate doctor ever to exist in ARM, I'm sure.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16743 on: May 04, 2015, 10:31:08 pm »

Well, your standards are certainly low.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16744 on: May 04, 2015, 10:36:06 pm »

I dunno, I recall the normal staff members of the infirmary like the ones I'm harassing right now were actually fairly normal people. They're technically part of ARM, and I'd think they'd care for their patients.
Regardless of my compassion or lack thereof, I'm certainly going to be effective at this sort of thing once I get a loan and buy myself a medicine.
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: May 04, 2015, 10:51:15 pm »

You're thinking of quiet worlds.
That's the name. Did we ever get any more info about them?

I dunno, I recall the normal staff members of the infirmary like the ones I'm harassing right now were actually fairly normal people. They're technically part of ARM, and I'd think they'd care for their patients.
Regardless of my compassion or lack thereof, I'm certainly going to be effective at this sort of thing once I get a loan and buy myself a medicine.
They seem reasonably... neutral, at least, and that was to expendable inmates. So you probably do have some stiff competition after all.

Medicine kit or genemods to make you an organic medicine kit?
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:25 pm »

I'm leaning toward gene mods both for saving tokens in the long run and for other purposes.
Sig! Onol

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: May 04, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »

Everybody is talking about the Altered, and I have a vague idea of what they are, but is anyone willing to explain them a bit more in-depth? I couldn't find any info on the wiki, and I'd like to know a bit more about one of the most important aspects of the in-game universe.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16748 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:17 pm »

Mmm, there's a ton of info out there, but I'm not sure how condensed or easy to find it is. From memory:

In the misty pasts of human history, things were not very organized. As humanity advanced, they developed, amongst other things, widespread genetic engineering. As with any great invention, this worked fantastically right up until it rose up and devoured us all.

Specifically, a certain strain of genetic modifications suddenly and simultaneously transformed their bearers into ravening flesh horrors, which then began to devour and reproduce and spread and adapt as ravening flesh horrors are wont to do. I'm actually still not positive how much of what we know is truth and how much is UWM whitewash, but they apparently crafted living flesh ships to infest new planets, and once they were on a world it was largely a matter of glassing it. Sometimes not even that worked; one world they scoured clean, and somehow the Altered remained. Another (it might have been the same one) they just gave up and crashed into the gas giant it was orbiting, I think.

The UWM, or United Worlds of Man, was organized specifically to unite the remnants of humanity against this threat. One of its problems is that it started as a brutal cooperate-or-we-die military autocracy that accomplished its goal but obviously didn't really want to disband, which tends to go to poorer and poorer places over time. Possibly as a side effect of this, publicly available information tends to be spotty or misleading; I assume we have access to better stuff now that we're officially ARM, but I'm not sure if anyone's gone after it.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: May 04, 2015, 11:45:20 pm »

Mmm, there's a ton of info out there, but I'm not sure how condensed or easy to find it is. From memory:

In the misty pasts of human history, things were not very organized. As humanity advanced, they developed, amongst other things, widespread genetic engineering. As with any great invention, this worked fantastically right up until it rose up and devoured us all.

Specifically, a certain strain of genetic modifications suddenly and simultaneously transformed their bearers into ravening flesh horrors, which then began to devour and reproduce and spread and adapt as ravening flesh horrors are wont to do. I'm actually still not positive how much of what we know is truth and how much is UWM whitewash, but they apparently crafted living flesh ships to infest new planets, and once they were on a world it was largely a matter of glassing it. Sometimes not even that worked; one world they scoured clean, and somehow the Altered remained. Another (it might have been the same one) they just gave up and crashed into the gas giant it was orbiting, I think.

The UWM, or United Worlds of Man, was organized specifically to unite the remnants of humanity against this threat. One of its problems is that it started as a brutal cooperate-or-we-die military autocracy that accomplished its goal but obviously didn't really want to disband, which tends to go to poorer and poorer places over time. Possibly as a side effect of this, publicly available information tends to be spotty or misleading; I assume we have access to better stuff now that we're officially ARM, but I'm not sure if anyone's gone after it.
Thanks, I've been looking for info for a while.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16750 on: May 04, 2015, 11:47:29 pm »

Also they built physics-defying structures (no one's sure how the flesh buildings they built stayed standing), they acted in unison, ghost ships felt a strange kinship to them, and synthflesh bears quite a few similarities to it, which is why I've never gotten any synth bodily mods.
Admittedly I got modded to be even more similar to the Altered but eh whatever
Sig! Onol

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:16 pm »

Also they built physics-defying structures (no one's sure how the flesh buildings they built stayed standing), they acted in unison, ghost ships felt a strange kinship to them, and synthflesh bears quite a few similarities to it, which is why I've never gotten any synth bodily mods.
Well thank God you never bought synth-flesh. You wouldn't want to become some sort of eldritch horror or something. I mean, Xan has always been a perfectly ordinary and mentally stable individual, but if he bought some of that evil synth-flesh all hell would break loose.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:59:59 pm by AkumaKasai »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16752 on: May 05, 2015, 12:03:12 am »

Well thank God you never bought synth-flesh. You wouldn't want to become some sort of eldritch horror or something. I mean, Xan has always been a perfectly ordinary and mentally stable individual, but if he bought some of that evil synth-flesh all hell would break loose.
Yeah, good thing I took the morally responsible route of letting the good Doctor experiment on me.
Sig! Onol

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: May 05, 2015, 03:32:01 am »

"so let me get this straight...
After consulting with a fellow ex-prisoner who has no right to say what i can do with, insert into, or remove from my body...
His recommendation is to leave in the implant because i have previously, and likely will again, attempted to shoot one of my peers specifically because they were responsible for the activation of said implant.
do you see a problem with this logic? because from where im standing it seems like he wants me to shoot people.

can i please get this thing removed now?"

get implant removed, i have other things that i need to do like figure out what the hell my nyarstifact tusks do and weve already wasted close to a week on this.
Wait, why do you want it removed, again?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: May 05, 2015, 03:40:47 am »

Speaking (or rather hinting) of Stan, I think Vincent's mindfuck proves the whole Stan incident left him with some PTSD... I don't have PTSD so I might have a bit of trouble with it, but I might roleplay as if he has it now xD
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 2205