Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496289 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #16275 on: April 22, 2015, 10:22:50 pm »

Note that the kinetic amplifier comes in a glove by default, unless you specify otherwise.
Okay. I guess I've wasted my money on an implant I won't be able to use any time soon, rather than an equally priced and usable item. That's unfortunate.
You could always just get a regular robot body. They're free anyway.

On the wiki it says kinetic amos cannot be used to improve edged weapons. Despite this, would it be possible to have two kinetic amps set flush with the sides of a blade, slightly back from the edge, so they shoved the sides of a hole you cut away from you? Sorry if my description doesn't make sense, I'll try to be more specific if you want.
Probably would work, not sure how practical it would be though, since the majority of the damage would probably come from the amp anyway and some materials you can amp-punch easily would be harder to jam a blade into.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16276 on: April 22, 2015, 10:32:51 pm »

Woo! Successful medic check without any tools. This feels like a major breakthrough to me.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16277 on: April 22, 2015, 10:52:15 pm »

Note that the kinetic amplifier comes in a glove by default, unless you specify otherwise.
Okay. I guess I've wasted my money on an implant I won't be able to use any time soon, rather than an equally priced and usable item. That's unfortunate.
Really? I can't find anything about them on the wiki, what are they called?

On the wiki it says kinetic amos cannot be used to improve edged weapons. Despite this, would it be possible to have two kinetic amps set flush with the sides of a blade, slightly back from the edge, so they shoved the sides of a hole you cut away from you? Sorry if my description doesn't make sense, I'll try to be more specific if you want.
Probably would work, not sure how practical it would be though, since the majority of the damage would probably come from the amp anyway and some materials you can amp-punch easily would be harder to jam a blade into.
I was thinking that a kinetic amp blade would be useful for tearing apart anything soft. If you hit someone with a kinetic amp attached to a hammer, it'll hurt. But if you chopped into them with an amped cleaver, I think the sides of the cut would be flung apart, doing far more damage than a normal weapon. This is probably less efficient in terms of damage-per-credit, but I think it would be more horrifying. It might also be useful for prying things open: if you manage to jam the knife in, the amps would help by squaring the force applied to the sides of the crack/gap/whatever.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:59:01 pm by AkumaKasai »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16278 on: April 22, 2015, 11:07:26 pm »

I was thinking that a kinetic amp blade would be useful for tearing apart anything soft. If you hit someone with a kinetic amp attached to a hammer, it'll hurt. But if you chopped into them with an amped cleaver, I think the sides of the cut would be flung apart, doing far more damage than a normal weapon. This is probably less efficient in terms of damage-per-credit, but I think it would be more horrifying. It might also be useful for prying things open: if you manage to jam the knife in, the amps would help by squaring the force applied to the sides of the crack/gap/whatever.
I think the issue here is that amps only, well, amplify. The amount of sideways force you're going to get from a proper edged weapon cutting into a target is probably not gonna be fantastic to begin with, so there's not a ton to amplify into anything significant.

I guess it might let you do anime cut-in-halves slightly more dramatically, and the door-pry thing has some potential if a cutting torch won't work. But it definitely sounds like the kind of thing you get because you really, really want to find an excuse for it, rather than because there's a good reason to own one.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #16279 on: April 22, 2015, 11:12:40 pm »

To weigh in on the kinamps in knives and shit thing.

Are you going to wiggle it around? I think that would get the most bang for your buck if you did that.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16280 on: April 22, 2015, 11:21:11 pm »

You could probably make a mean battleaxe that way. You'd want a good edge on it though.
If you're cleaving through plating, I don't think that it would push the edges of the gash apart. So if you were chopping at a battlesuit it wouldn't let you get through more layers of armor at a time, but it would change the damage from gashes it the armor to holes in the armor.
If you're chopping solid blocks of material, it again won't get the initial cut deeper, but then would push on the sides, either pushing the sides apart and splitting the material deeper, or it could just turn the cut into a crater, depending on the properties of the material you're chopping.
That's my take, anyway.

PRE-EDIT: Not quite sure that you would get enough sideways force to be worth it on just a knife. I'm suggesting an axe because that chopping should give you more sideways force.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16281 on: April 22, 2015, 11:29:49 pm »

So there has been some tension in the current Joker mission. I'll assume you're all aware.

The current plan is that we're going to defuse the situation in a way that is as fair as I can make it.

Namely, Auron is getting retconned out of the mission and will be replaced with someone else.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16282 on: April 22, 2015, 11:35:55 pm »

To weigh in on the kinamps in knives and shit thing.

Are you going to wiggle it around? I think that would get the most bang for your buck if you did that.
Probably, yeah. That's really the only way to get a good amount of damage. Or to get the weapon out.
I think the issue here is that amps only, well, amplify. The amount of sideways force you're going to get from a proper edged weapon cutting into a target is probably not gonna be fantastic to begin with, so there's not a ton to amplify into anything significant.

I guess it might let you do anime cut-in-halves slightly more dramatically, and the door-pry thing has some potential if a cutting torch won't work. But it definitely sounds like the kind of thing you get because you really, really want to find an excuse for it, rather than because there's a good reason to own one.
You're right that I kinda just want to justify it to myself. Elias is a former butcher, and his home world was pretty technologically primitive, so I feel like he should eventually get some form of upgraded cleaver. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I could use known technology to turn the gear purchasable in the armory into something brutally effective.
You could probably make a mean battleaxe that way. You'd want a good edge on it though.
If you're cleaving through plating, I don't think that it would push the edges of the gash apart. So if you were chopping at a battlesuit it wouldn't let you get through more layers of armor at a time, but it would change the damage from gashes it the armor to holes in the armor.
If you're chopping solid blocks of material, it again won't get the initial cut deeper, but then would push on the sides, either pushing the sides apart and splitting the material deeper, or it could just turn the cut into a crater, depending on the properties of the material you're chopping.
That's my take, anyway.

PRE-EDIT: Not quite sure that you would get enough sideways force to be worth it on just a knife. I'm suggesting an axe because that chopping should give you more sideways force.
I was thinking possibly an axe, but ideally a voulge of some sort. If I left the back of the blade flat, I could attach yet another kinetic amp to it and use it to bash anything too thick to hack through.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16283 on: April 22, 2015, 11:38:59 pm »

So there has been some tension in the current Joker mission. I'll assume you're all aware.

The current plan is that we're going to defuse the situation in a way that is as fair as I can make it.

Namely, Auron is getting retconned out of the mission and will be replaced with someone else.
Uh, not to stir up any shit but from my perspective it looks like Auron has had every right to be angry about being tazed out of no where.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16284 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:35 pm »

But consider the fact that it is a high-priority spec-ops mission where underlings are meant to follow exact orders to the letter.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16285 on: April 22, 2015, 11:41:17 pm »

Really? I can't find anything about them on the wiki, what are they called?

No robotic bodyparts are free. You need to get rid of your flesh arms before you can get robotic replacements. Go ask Armory Master if she will cut off your arms.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16286 on: April 22, 2015, 11:43:12 pm »

But consider the fact that it is a high-priority spec-ops mission where underlings are meant to follow exact orders to the letter.
Yeah, but the underling in question seemed to be doing something more useful than what they were ordered to do. And I don't think it was Spec-ops once the phrase 'bum-rush' became part of the plan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16287 on: April 22, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »

While I do think it'd be an interesting bit of character development for them to have to work past their animosity in order to save the people on the planet, I can understand the retconning if that's what's happening.
NOT IT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16288 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:45 pm »

While I do think it'd be an interesting bit of character development for them to have to work past their animosity in order to save the people on the planet, I can understand the retconning if that's what's happening.
NOT IT
Ha! I'm already in mortal peril!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16289 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:07 pm »

No robotic bodyparts are free. You need to get rid of your flesh arms before you can get robotic replacements. Go ask Armory Master if she will cut off your arms.

There's lots of tools in the workshop, just saying. Power tools included, I would guess. Like... a lathe or something. Could try a lathe. Make it look like an accident.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 11:56:14 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 1084 1085 [1086] 1087 1088 ... 2205