Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489395 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #10770 on: November 06, 2014, 09:50:01 am »

@syvarris: I don't think switching whatever control hardware the scout eye has with a more advanced embedded system would cost anything. You could do it for free right now. Just get a datapad for free, add the antenna and other control equipment from the scout eye to it and write a program to control the scout eye. Add some sensors to make navigation easier and you're set.

Besides, there is control software somewhere - either in the scout eye itself, or in the whatever you're steering it with that you receive video onto. The program is not machine-specific, it just controls standard 6DOF movement inputs based on a single video feed, and it's more a very, very primitive autopilot. It won't so much correct your errors as it will simplify basic control so that you don't just smack the drone into a teammate, or accidentally self-destruct it.

I think the agreed specification was that it was a +-1 dynamic bonus working towards a 4, but I'm not sure if PW keeps such notes around.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10771 on: November 06, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »

@Javelin sniper rifle

I have never played that game, but remember that exact rifle because it made me really want to play it.  I believe SeriousConcentrate brought it up years ago, before the subforum existed.  I don't remember what people decided about it, and I don't think the idea would actually work well.

I believe I brought up the basic idea and SC said it was basically the Javelin.

And no, it probably wouldn't be all that great (unless you used an automanip, at which point, why not make it a plasma weapon? Same idea, hotter fluid).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10772 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »

@ScoutEye, it actually has quite a lot of ability. I played with it during my first mission (mission 10)

Most people previously and since just used the direct control mode, but the Scout Eye is actually programmable! Mostly for simple actions, but it does mean that it can be used much more safely than it is typically used, by pre-programming. You'd have to ask PW, but you can probably get it to do simple things like 'move forward and hover' without Aux rolls. It's only when you start getting into complex programs (Land, do a complicated patrol route, find the remote) that you start needing Aux to do the pre-programmed actions.
It also has adorable little legs on it that let it scuttle around if desired :D
For a single token, it is a very good scouting device if used carefully. It just generally isn't, usually due to rolls, or due to a lack of necessity. I think my Scout's Eye was the first that didn't just slam itself into a wall and explode. It didn't die until it was consumed by Ice-9 :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10773 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:40 pm »

Today a hilarious idea came to me for a potential genemod for black ops peeps:

Make it so that the hand of the modded person contains modified cnidocyte-like structures, but be sure they are sufficiently small and hidden so as not to be obvious to the naked eye. Adapt it it so the toxin delivered is a fast-working paralytic agent optimized for knocking out humans.

Make it so said cnidocytes can only trigger after a 'priming' signal from the somatic nervous system, the trigger itself being a small shock. So that, after priming, shaking hands with someone or hitting them triggers the cell's ejection system.
As a final touch, place the cells on the inside of the palm.

Congratulations, you can now run around bitch-slapping people unconscious.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10774 on: November 06, 2014, 03:13:03 pm »

Ooh, sounds fun! I'm all in for that.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10775 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »

@Paris

I was talking about an actual flight AI that can find it's way to a location without crashing.  The scout eye doesn't have that functionality.

Yes, with the raw ability that ER computers have, it logically shouldn't require a token to add a computer powerful enough to run a simple navigation AI.  Arguably, adding more sensors and requisite stengthening to carry the extra weight might, just because a token is the minimum denomination.

More, I'm concerned about the council.  A scout eye that doesn't need AUX rolls to do stuff is way better than what we have, so it would cost an extra token to keep it balanced.

@Sean

Huh.  I had thought you programmed drones to follow routes without user control.  Nevermind then, that would make sense to work on a SE.

Also, I'm relatively certain that your program isn't standard, if only by virtue of "Piecewise forgot".

@Pyro

...And know we've arrived at a mini Plasma Projector.  And that's a bad long range rifle.

Honestly, I'd think the basic idea doesn't work, simply because I don't see a stream of fluid staying cohesive enough to be anything aside from a shotgun.  Plus, I doubt gauss technology would actually work.  And I don't see the advantage of hot liquid over a solid.

Overall, I don't really understand the idea of that gun in the slightest, beyond rule of cool.

@Kri

That doesn't remove aux rolls though, which is what I want.

And yes, it's a decent item if you use it right, but most people don't really think of stuff like practicing to get an inherent dynamic bonus, making a better UI for a software dynamic bonus, and charging a standard dynamic bonus immediately before sending it off.  Maybe we should write an actual manual for use on the wiki?

@Radio

The gene mod I want to make for Blops is... well, actually not a genemod.  A xan body, designed around a braincase which controls it (and includes a self destruct bomb).  Put the operative's brain in the braincase, and wallah- you have an operative that can mimic anyone they see, create whatever hidden biological weapons/denfense they want, regenrate from damage like being decapitated, or even go full prototype in an emergency and start tearing people to pieces with blade arms.

But I can't make one because Xan won't let me look at him, and the Doctor is the Doctor.

Achievement Unlocked: Perfect Ninja!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10776 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »

Make it so that the hand of the modded person contains modified cnidocyte-like structures, but be sure they are sufficiently small and hidden so as not to be obvious to the naked eye. Adapt it it so the toxin delivered is a fast-working paralytic agent optimized for knocking out humans.

Make it so said cnidocytes can only trigger after a 'priming' signal from the somatic nervous system, the trigger itself being a small shock. So that, after priming, shaking hands with someone or hitting them triggers the cell's ejection system.

'The Jellyfish Option'
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10777 on: November 06, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »

@Radio

The gene mod I want to make for Blops is... well, actually not a genemod.  A xan body, designed around a braincase which controls it (and includes a self destruct bomb).  Put the operative's brain in the braincase, and wallah- you have an operative that can mimic anyone they see, create whatever hidden biological weapons/denfense they want, regenrate from damage like being decapitated, or even go full prototype in an emergency and start tearing people to pieces with blade arms.

One could get the same results using the appropriate amp, I think. But yeah, it'd be useful if we could give this to non-exo people. It'd probably be hideously expensive though, so it'd be very late game. I'm currently looking more into creating more low-level stuff, so more people might potentially use it. I'll fully admit though that it's often more fun to go balls-to-the-wall and make deliciously powerful stuff.

That said, once Miya gets back on ship, you could consider asking if he can't... try to pull some strings for you.
secret ninja strings

'The Jellyfish Option'

this man knows his game.

By the way pyro, would you consider looking at that pm I send you?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:30:52 pm by Radio Controlled »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10778 on: November 06, 2014, 03:29:52 pm »

But I can't make one because Xan won't let me look at him, and the Doctor is the Doctor.
This is actually somewhat like what I plan to do once I gain control of my powers.
This is of course eventually/as soon as I can mooch sufficient tokens off of people.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10779 on: November 06, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »

Why do you need tokens?

Just charge a dynamic and go crazy.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10780 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »

I guess we could just as well have a suit series instead, or in addition to this. Atmospheric/underwater mobility, rocket/space flight, heavy laser, melee, ranged, support. Would be cheaper with no modules and conform to standard gear. Could call it the "specialized equipment combat suit" series or something...))

((At first I was going to make a joke about Sean wanting people to buy SECS from him, but then I realized that he won't be the one selling it.

Sean wants people to buy SECS from the Armory Master.

You may want to think of a better name, lest all your potential customers die progressively more brutal deaths.))

This is actually somewhat like what I plan to do once I gain control of my powers.
This is of course eventually/as soon as I can mooch sufficient tokens off of people.

...Have I not offered you money?  Because I'm offering you money.  As much money as I can get away with, and probably more.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10781 on: November 06, 2014, 03:40:59 pm »

Even with a dynamic I can roll a 6, right now, or even a 7 I think, which is more than enough to explode into a pile of sentient gribble. Can't do that right now since I gotta keep my cover. Plus a perfect decomp is faster than charging bonuses all the time.

No you didn't offer me money. Feel free to IC once the Halloween event's over, or you can activate the clone you have there, he has the same personality for reasons of simplicity.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10782 on: November 06, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »

...Have I not offered you money?  Because I'm offering you money.  As much money as I can get away with, and probably more.

You... Don't have any money? Or are you gonna offer physical items? Might wanna check with pw what you can and cannot do in that regard.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10783 on: November 06, 2014, 04:55:59 pm »

Well, in the category of "completely legitimate money" I should be able to sell my original equipment, probably in the player market, with some good advertising.  That, plus whatever we got paid for the Heph defense (...did we get paid?), plus whatever I might be able to convince Steve I deserve for working on Heph, and anything I might be able to make by selling programs for cheap.  Maybe even donations from others that would be interested in this becoming something they can buy.  That could get ten tokens, at least.

In the category of "get away with, and probably more" bribes of equipment to people to get more money, bribes of equipment to Xan, bribes of not tinkering to PW, bomb threats, hacking, you know. 

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10784 on: November 06, 2014, 05:06:25 pm »

Hey radio... gimme 5 tokens and ill eat syvarris character...

Or not eat him... your choice...
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 717 718 [719] 720 721 ... 2205