Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488797 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #10725 on: November 05, 2014, 02:25:09 pm »

What's a MACS, if somebody doesn't mind enlightening me? I haven't exactly read much of Techland, being slightly turned off by other people's tinker tedium. I suspect I have no use for one, but I'd like to confirm.

The MACS is a concept of a Mission-Adaptable Combat Suit. The idea behind it being that if you have a MACS, then before every mission, with minimum fuss and minimal expense, you can quickly re-equip yourself with (mostly non-weapon) equipment that fits the role you intend to perform on the mission. At its most basic, it's a Mk3 that allows you to switch the rocketpack for a number of other things, without buying a whole new suit. It has other features as well (it's MCP-based, provides internal power supply to any mounted weapons, and has a synthflesh- and robobody-specific versions that may omit the suit and the exoskeleton if need be), but that's the gist of it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:28:39 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: November 05, 2014, 02:45:53 pm »

Irrelevant, but even if we loose this war we'll be helping mankind, since we'll be stimulating the UWM to get off their asses, work together, reform their government, coordinate and actually do something for a change instead of resting on their laurels.

...Assuming you believe Steve's propaganda about wanting to help humanity, rather than the much more likely fact that he just wants more power.

Interest check!

http://strawpoll.me/2932843

That "I'm actively attempting to sabotage it." option made me laugh.  I nearly chose it, despite the fact that I'd actually really like it to succeed.

The MACS is a concept of a Mission-Adaptable Combat Suit. The idea behind it being that if you have a MACS, then before every mission, with minimum fuss and minimal expense, you can quickly re-equip yourself with (mostly non-weapon) equipment that fits the role you intend to perform on the mission. At its most basic, it's a Mk3 that allows you to switch the rocketpack for a number of other things, without buying a whole new suit. It has other features as well (it's MCP-based, provides internal power supply to any mounted weapons, and has a synthflesh- and robobody-specific versions that may omit the suit and the exoskeleton if need be), but that's the gist of it.

It also costs somewhat more than an MK.III, to get slightly worse functionality in that role.  It's only a good choice if you sometimes want to swap out certain pieces with other abilities, for example in a mission where flight is going to be nearly useless.  Or in a mission where you'll stay in atmosphere for a long time (you can swap the rockets for turbojets, which are electrically powered- infinite flight!).

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: November 05, 2014, 03:20:07 pm »

you know, reading mission 18 has me wondering about something: What would happen if we pitted the eater of cold versus Ice9?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: November 05, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

Id have to go with china9
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:42 pm »

you know, reading mission 18 has me wondering about something: What would happen if we pitted the eater of cold versus Ice9?

Indigestion?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: November 05, 2014, 03:30:06 pm »

Let's find out!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10731 on: November 05, 2014, 03:32:23 pm »

Irrelevant, but even if we loose this war we'll be helping mankind, since we'll be stimulating the UWM to get off their asses, work together, reform their government, coordinate and actually do something for a change instead of resting on their laurels.
...Assuming you believe Steve's propaganda about wanting to help humanity, rather than the much more likely fact that he just wants more power.
I don't see how the quoted part is relevant. Or how gaining power is incompatible with completing one's objectives. One usually needs power to do something.

And from an OOC perspective Steve is an AI. AIs are usually driven by the need to change data to match their objectives, not by their need for power or survival. (Granted, it is possible for one to develop things that could be interpreted as that though, if it is allowed to alter its own data and its evolution takes certain paths or if it has biological components that can cause neural noise when added to it, like Steve.) And he has no (visible) need to help humans. If he is truly free to do anything, then he could just take his brains and run off and leave us get killed by whatever eldritch horror (or overload) comes next. So the fact that he doesn't means that he has a reason to help humans. It could be a genuine desire to help humans, created by brainwashing process, similar to the one used for Ghost Ship humans. It could be because he is compeled to help humans, even though he hates them. It could be a selfish reason, maybe he needs humans to do something or maybe he just likes playing with them. Either way, it is more likely that we'll end up better with his help, rather than without it, at least at thins stage. So it's better to just try to gather any info we can and just play along for now.

And from an IC perspective, the Generals say we should trust Steve and Flint trusts the generals and assumes they know more, so he's not questioning that. Plus, Steve did help save Flint's life, so he also has Flint's gratitude, a bit less than the one Flint has for Miyamoto.

I think thing really eats cold. Replaces it with heat. Maybe it reverses entropy or something. So they would probably cancel each other out. Or it would mature very quickly and leave. Or it would be too much food and it would explode in a fireball. Why don't you take Toaster's suggestion?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:48:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: November 05, 2014, 03:35:45 pm »

Hmm your probably right paris... humans are what 70-80% water? and we can still drown...
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: November 05, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »

I think Steve's true motivation is protecting humanity.  The catch is I think he's protecting it from Space Cthulhu, not the UWM.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: November 05, 2014, 04:11:19 pm »

Oh, this'll be fun.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: November 05, 2014, 04:13:05 pm »

Oh, and I think I might know who's brain they used previously, and I'm pretty sure you do as well. You reckon this person could be used again as a template, should the previous not be possible?
@Radio Controlled If it is not classified data, who do you think that person is? The Shadow Walker guy and the Armory Master don't fit - not their style, and I was led to believe the Doctor was mostly a scientist originally, and became that 'God of Blades' during his HMRC sentence (as well as became, uh, that creepy monster thing - not much sense in sending him to the 'Corps otherwise, between easily adapting to resist shock and almost guaranteed survival). Maybe I am missing something?

I think Steve's true motivation is protecting humanity.  The catch is I think he's protecting it from Space Cthulhu, not the UWM.
And then it was actually Steve protecting the Space Cthulhu from humanity. Nah, too predictable.
And then it was actually Steve protecting another Space Cthulhu we have no idea about from humanity by pitting humanity against evolved humanity, which is the Space Cthulhu we are aware of. Had actually been doing ever since the Altered Wars. With the Altered Wars.
Wow, suddenly it all makes sense!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: November 05, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »

@Paris

Maybe I didn't make it obvious, but I meant that the whole "I'm running this revolution because the UWM is fat and lazy now." Is a lie used as an excuse for why he's running the revolution.  And I didn't say we shouldn't play along with Steve--I mean, there's about zero chance of surviving the other option--but just saying that the statement "We're helping humanity even if we lose" is false.

We're gonna fight the war and try to win, but not because it's the right thing.  No, we're gonna fight the war and try to win because it's better to die afterwards than to die now.  Especially since you can abuse drugs and braincase neurochemistry in the meantime.

Plus, there's always the chance that an opportunity will come up to bail out in relative safety, or to sabotage the war just enough to result in a tie, meaning neither side can deal with you when you run off.

@Toaster

Interesting concept.  Although, he claims that part of the reason is to lift research bans, which probably wouldn't help that.  And making an enemy for the UWM that is actually dangerous is risky too- they're more likely to try something that really pisses off SC.

Alternatively, he's actually seeking to gain power, but not for power's sake- instead, it's so he can actually direct humanity towards stopping whatever is going to happen.  Or perhaps he isn't actually interested in the revolution at all, and is actually using it as a means to get something thay would allow him to obtain apotheosis...  Ahh, everything just opens up when you bring space magic into the equation...

@Nikitian

Why do you assume the Doctor served a normal HMRC sentence?  VonNost was decapitated, if you don't remember.  Anyways, the stuff with him all took place during and right after the Altered Wars; I'm pretty sure the HMRC was actually formed a few centuries after they ended.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: November 05, 2014, 06:37:01 pm »

I thought Steve is/is-going-to-be space Cthulu. He just gathers, studies and destroys potential threats to himself. He has no intention of protecting humanity from himself, he's just not making it too obvious that he's been messing with us this whole time.
It's a game. Have fun.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: November 05, 2014, 07:15:54 pm »

@syvarris Was that in the last ER talk? Never got around to listen to it, damn. Probably should have.
Also, I recall that the HMRC - or its predecessor, for what it's worth - was created around the end of the Altered Wars, just as well.

Oh, and nah, we are helping the humanity - regardless of Steve's motives. I mean, if we win, that's what history textbooks would say, right?  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: November 05, 2014, 07:34:05 pm »

It also costs somewhat more than an MK.III, to get slightly worse functionality in that role.  It's only a good choice if you sometimes want to swap out certain pieces with other abilities, for example in a mission where flight is going to be nearly useless.  Or in a mission where you'll stay in atmosphere for a long time (you can swap the rockets for turbojets, which are electrically powered- infinite flight!).

So, taking a weighted average between these two, it's high-end equipment nobody actually needs or particularly wants. Or even will be able to particularly afford. Complete with an overly bland acronym. Possibly an overdesigned solution for a problem that doesn't exist, too.

At least that's the impression I get from all that. Might be it's a genius invention that everyone will want to get somewhere down the line, but that's the impression I get.

Have you guys thought about focusing more on interesting equipment in the 1-5 token range instead? Particularly in the way of utility-focused equipment, as we don't have much of a selection on that end. That way somebody might, you know, try some of it one day. After all, I'm pretty sure that if you've got tokens in the 10-20 bracket, there's better things to spend them on than a hypothetical MACS.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 2205