Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2497540 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8295 on: August 16, 2014, 01:37:46 am »

Meanwhile, we at M15 are the paragon of ARM's core tenets. FUBAR and back in under 20 turns, or at least under 30.
Or, as was put by you I think, it went from the 8 stooges to The Reckoning to the 3 stooges in about 10 turns.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: August 16, 2014, 01:42:40 am »

As much as I want to have said that, it wasn't me. Seems like Mesk should get a promotion though. He did a lot. A lot of beneficial things, to be specific.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: August 16, 2014, 01:45:22 am »

He actually saved some people, didn't he?
Sig! Onol

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: August 16, 2014, 01:48:55 am »

<.< What about me?! Sheesh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: August 16, 2014, 01:50:40 am »

He actually saved some people, didn't he?
Saved my character twice. Once from Stacy's brilliant digging strategy and once from the bombardment.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: August 16, 2014, 01:52:06 am »

And Jobasio, being the only competent cowardly guy. He even endured upwards of a minute alone in the APC with Xan. That deserves a medal on its own.
Sig! Onol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: August 16, 2014, 03:21:03 am »

It just occurred to me that all three of our science teams on Heph are currently lounging about doing nothing !!SCIENCE!!y at all.

Would anyone object if I assigned two of them to some of the projects I wanted developed? Specifically, the miniaturization of the FEL, and the development of a manipulator-less plasma generator?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8302 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30:32 am »

May I ask why do you need a manipulator-less plasma generator?

And what advantages the FEL has in game terms? I remember you saying that it can do charged shots, which sounds useful. Is that its only advantage?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: August 16, 2014, 04:37:15 am »

I think that FEL are also more efficient than other types of lasers if project rho is correct.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8304 on: August 16, 2014, 04:59:54 am »

A manip-less plasma generator has the advantage of being buildable for cheap, and in large quantities, without relying on highly dangerous and volatile production facilities that are best used for something else. It isn't going to be useful for a ranged weapon, as the self-contained plasma ball is exclusively a manipulator-enabled feature, but what I want to do with it is make a CQC weapon for extreme armor penetration, for our larger exosuits, battlesuits, and theoretical larger mecha. Plasma is about the only thing a synthflesh monstrosity like the Avatar of War is really vulnerable to besides powerful space magic, so having a weapon that can, provided you can actually close the distance, literally punch a limb off the thing, would be very helpful.

It also has a very secret use that I won't try to go for unless I succeed with it. ;D

As for the FEL, its secondary advantage is being more powerful and/or efficient than standard lasers, at least once it warms up, as well as being able to cycle the beam inside the lasing chamber to build up power. Its primary advantage, the way I see it, is being able to fire laser beams all across the EM spectrum, from microwave to X-Ray, enabling a number of different uses besides "heat this spot up till it melts". At least part of it is non-lethal, like low-power infrared or microwaves being used to deter civilians, and some of it is purely side-effect territory like using visible-light frequencies as a big-ass nuclear-powered flashlight bright enough to sear your skin off, but some can be used for unique purposes, like wide-angle microwaves that will wreck havoc on any metals and absolutely wreck any fine electronics, or X-Rays that will deal massive critical damage to living organisms (that are partially transparent to them) even at low power that won't harm machinery as much.

Its tertiary advantage is being heavy and sturdy enough to brain a mastodon with it (its primary part is a thick block of magnetic metal segments), but I tend not to advertise it that much. :P
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:02:35 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8305 on: August 16, 2014, 05:48:15 am »

Yeah, that sounds good.

I'm not sure about whether or not the plasma would be a better and/or cheaper close quarter weapon than something chemical. Its simply superheated gas, after all (or that is what I assume, unless you want to use cold plasma). You'd probably need to heat it to ridiculously hot, at which point we come to the question "how do you cheaply contain it, if it is so hot it can melt through a battlesuit?" You could have it charge up and then fire so that the gun only has to contain the plasma for a limited amount of time, but that would make the weapon hard to use, unless you use capacitors so that the gas is superheated as it exits the barrel in short bursts.
The only way I see this working is creating some sort of plasma "bullet" that is expended to create the plasma and contain its heat and energy long enough for the plasma to be used. That way, you could have a plasma thrower that works with "bullets" which are destroyed to create the plasma. And you could use the bullets standalone, to open doors or as grenades for example.
But even then, doesn't plasma dissipate very quickly? So you'd probably have to get to short range to have a chance to use it, like some sort of plasma blade. Unless you can somehow magnetically contain it (or maybe envelop it in some sort of polymer that can contain it long enough to reach its target). Or maybe you could accelerate so much that dispersion doesn't have enough time to happen, but at that point it would be less plasma thrower and more ion cannon.

As for other advantages... You could maybe somehow magnetically accelerate it? But I don't see any advantage in that, other than that you could spray it farther or control it with magnetic manipulators or maybe shield yourself from it. I suppose it would be slightly harmful to unshielded electronics.

In my opinion, a plasma grenade or a plasma shell would be much better. It requires no containment since the energy is all released at once. And you could do something crazy with it, like fitting the grenade with a tesla saber so that you can create an "ion storm" cloud.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:51 am »

The idea is a "plasma stake". It would basically use metal rods as the plasma source, plasmarizing them with high electric current and microwaves, and magnetically containing the resulting plasma cloud. The containment happens only for a short time, as the intent is the same as a kinetic amp - it needs to be activated at a precise moment to coincide with your melee attack. At most a few seconds after the "stake" is formed and contained, it must be released, using magnetoplasmadynamic effects (the same as used in MPDT and VASIMR plasma thrusters) to maintain the shape of the short-lived plasma "jet stream" for about three feet, which is enough to pierce almost any armor short of actual battleship plating. If the front of the stream pierces to a depth greater than the MPD containment effect, the rest of the stream will "bloom", expanding into a cloud and dealing extra internal damage.

Plasma has the simultaneous benefit of extreme temperature, high heat capacity (especially dense metallic plasma), and extreme chemical reactivity due to to being an extremely hot ionized metallic substance. In ER, at least, this is the case with Plasma Projectors - it's the only way to explain their extreme effectiveness at eating through anything in the projectile's path. The same effect replicated through conventional means will have great use as a melee weapon if it can be made compact enough to mount on a humanoid combat machine.

I.e., this one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:52:28 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: August 16, 2014, 07:55:36 am »

Eh, well, action made. Shockwaves for everyone.

Also just realized that Pan is now a torso with one arm. Didn't really get much use out of that brand spanking new synthflesh body before it got utterly wrecked, though it certainly kept him alive.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8308 on: August 16, 2014, 08:57:04 am »

I am so stealing one of those Kulak's if you build them, just a heads up.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8309 on: August 16, 2014, 09:04:45 am »

Ah, yeah, good idea. If it can be made cheaply, it should be a good weapon. And good utility for opening reinforced doors more precisely, unlike kinetic amps.

You should check to see if you could incorporate secondary uses to it, like electricity gun or dart launcher. I think it's nice to think about secondary uses, modability and versatility for anything one builds, since our soldiers will have more to face than direct combat.

Edit: And someone should really check for non-lethal weapons effective against synthflesh.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:06:57 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 2205