Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494415 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8235 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:57 am »

And maybe ARESTEVE already knows about several ways that it could happen, or maybe he foresees ways that it potentially could. Have you considered that? Of course he can't predict the unpredictable, but he can make estimates.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8236 on: August 12, 2014, 10:10:43 am »

Soo pancaek, any chance of getting a wall of force created between Auron and Faith?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8237 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:59 am »

And maybe ARESTEVE already knows about several ways that it could happen, or maybe he foresees ways that it potentially could. Have you considered that? Of course he can't predict the unpredictable, but he can make estimates.

I would assume that he'd list that as a disadvantage.  And my point stands- Why don't you ask him yourself?  I'm not the one who sees value in the question.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: August 12, 2014, 12:03:09 pm »

Soo pancaek, any chance of getting a wall of force created between Auron and Faith?
Nah, I think imma just chill in a corner. You guys are obviously on top of this situation. I believe in you all. 

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8239 on: August 12, 2014, 02:49:38 pm »

@Sean: Just an idea: Specify that the shipyard works with cradles or similar modules. The module acts as the foundation, the skeleton, the scaffolding of the ship. While in the shipyard, the ship never leaves its module. Instead, the module itself moves around to wherever it needs to be. Once work on a ship is finished, it is moved to a special storage area that is right next to the mass driver's beginning. That way you can have them ready to launch. Then, depending on whether you consider construction speed or launching speed more important you can either reuse the modules or you can leave them around the ship and modify them to allow the ship to survive higher acceleration and be more aerodynamic and more magnetic. The latter option also allows you to reuse the modules, assuming they are not significantly damaged by passing through the atmosphere when going to orbit or during reentry. Don't know if it'll change anything to the numbers piecewise is going to give you but it sounds like an efficient way of doing things to me. Got the idea from automated car factories.

You might also want to make sure to build them near preexisting defensive lasers or build new ones around them to ensure they are more likely to survive bombardment. Or just make sure to build them deep underground.

And you should probably build that manipulator lab soon, since ships depend on them for defense from small arms and micrometeorites, for movement and reaching the right speed for using jump points and for firing their weapons. You might want to ask Ares what the safe distance for a catastrophic event is and if it is absurdly high, you might want to ask if you can simply build it deep below Hephaestus, in some kind of quarantined area. It would probably be safer and easier.

@PyroDesu: Your interdictor ship is a good idea, however, there is a problem. As noted in this tinker post:
Are automanipulator shields in use on larger vessels like Battleships? If not, why? Do they somehow overheat or run out of juice and have to recharge? Or would they need to be as big as the ship to offer proper protection?
They are, but they have limits. Think about the force of a round fired from the sword. Not try and stop that round within a short distance. Thats a fuck ton of force, to use a technical term. So while their automated manip systems provide some degree of protection against smaller weapons (Below a certain size or power you're basically never going to damage one of those ships) they really can't stop a full power round without an automanip of horrendous size and frightening cost; a cost measured not solely in dollars, either.
They are probably going to be expensive, huge and slow, unable to dodge, since they're basically going to be one giant automanipulator and even then they aren't going to last long, since they are going to need time to recharge. They might have some use as stationary defenses or for blocking jump points. Generally situations where you expect you're going to be facing your enemy at close range, where the ability to dodge does not matter or when you just need to put a wall in front of your enemy no matter the cost.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:57:49 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: August 12, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

Blocking the jump point(s) actually was the first thing I really thought of doing with it - though I'm not sure which way would be easier (and possibly funnier more effective) - 'solidifying' the space in and around the point, or doing the opposite and making it so that incoming ships can't slow down from their jumpspeed within its range. Considering the jump speed is what, a significant fraction of c? That could be amusing, and possibly devastating to an incoming ship.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: August 12, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »

@Mission 13 people: I sent piecewise a PM asking for details on the situation so we know whether we can fire tranqs from the corner, if the guard is positioned in a way that requires the paranoid man to open the door wider to check on him, etc. I'll post an action with a "puppeteering" clause as soon as I get an answer.

As for Mission 14, I hope that goop grenade in an enclosed space doesn't backfire horribly. Getting the bullet-time robotic ninja samurai gooped would be everyone's death sentence.

On a different note, I'm finally back from resting my brain. My test was Saturday but I spent a good while just relaxing and cooling off with my family afterwards.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8242 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Blocking the jump point(s) actually was the first thing I really thought of doing with it - though I'm not sure which way would be easier (and possibly funnier more effective) - 'solidifying' the space in and around the point, or doing the opposite and making it so that incoming ships can't slow down from their jumpspeed within its range. Considering the jump speed is what, a significant fraction of c? That could be amusing, and possibly devastating to an incoming ship.
Well, that would be terribly inefficient. You could probably move a dozen asteroids around the jump point for the same cost.
But it would also be terribly fun! So let's do it!

I'd suggest we surround the jump point with an automanipulator "jump gate" but considering it's large enough for planetoids to get through, that might be kinda hard and costly. And not just in term of resources, judging from piecewise's hint. But if we could do it, then it would be great! We could accelerate and decelerate ships reaching the gate, so that they don't need vector manipulators themselves. We install an IFF in each ship. If someone without it comes through the gate, we crush them with the automanipulators. Or we can simply isolate them, for something more non-lethal.

Now that I think about it, automated accelerator gates would be a good idea. They could revitalize interplanetary and interstellar trade by allowing civilian freight ships to travel from planet to planet absurdly fast and go through jump gates for much lower costs, without the need for each ship to have a vector manipulator. Like the trans orbital accelerators in X3:TC. It would be a good thing to offer to potential allies. And it would lead to ARM becoming a "truer" interstellar civilization, where each solar system has a much closer relationship with others.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:58:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: August 12, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »

I would assume that he'd list that as a disadvantage.  And my point stands- Why don't you ask him yourself?  I'm not the one who sees value in the question.

You know what happens when one assumes, Syv.

And I asked you to add it because 1) you are already asking things related to it, so it makes sense, and 2) Saint is supposed to give Miya the info in-game, so it seemed like the logical thing to do.

EDIT: added it to action.

Secondly, pw mentioned in dj chat that Hep can get the artifacts from the planetoid when the first supply run ships return. The first supply run arrives at the Sword at the end of this batch of missions. So please, Hep peeps, get one or two ships ready and send before then. Even if they're empty, it'll allow us to send back artifacts. You could fill them with some sods and a few copies of of that new rifle.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:11:49 pm by Radio Controlled »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: August 13, 2014, 10:45:33 pm »

((Please don't forget to put Jason in the shuttle too.))
Jobasio ain't the sort to remember that. Hell, I don't think he's even seen the dead guy since before we stole the truck. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: August 13, 2014, 10:49:18 pm »

Looks like I'll be relying on Mesk again then. He seems to be the one in charge of lugging Jason's comatose body around.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: August 14, 2014, 05:03:15 pm »

Say Harry, have you made any progress on that job you accepted?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: August 15, 2014, 04:27:44 am »

Nope! But I'll read through the on-ship thread today, maybe tomorrow in search of prices! It's not really a difficult task, but due to certain circumstances I've been putting it off.

EDIT: Also, I've been refraining from posting in the on-ship thread because the Chief's doing research right now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:53:30 am by Harry Baldman »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: August 15, 2014, 09:16:17 am »

Nope! But I'll read through the on-ship thread today, maybe tomorrow in search of prices! It's not really a difficult task, but due to certain circumstances I've been putting it off.

EDIT: Also, I've been refraining from posting in the on-ship thread because the Chief's doing research right now.

No worries, just wondering. Note thought that I'll have to see the stuff you find and confirm that it's useful to put in the armory before you get your money. And be sure to make the chances to the wiki under your own name!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8249 on: August 15, 2014, 02:08:25 pm »

Made this: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Hephaestus_Solar_System_Data
in case this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9pasvrdc5fdfe2i/WinStarGen.html
ever gets lost. Not adding it a link to the Hephaestus page in case syvarris is working on it.
Feel free to edit any data you don't deem important enough to put in the Hephaestus page in it.

EDIT: Hey, syvarris, weren't you tinkering with some sort of hud thing that combined camera feeds to create a sort of map? Here's a similar idea: Use the suit's radio signals to map places you can't see. Cheap and doesn't really require any modifications to the suits.
Got the idea from here: Video demonstrating using Wi-Fi wielding robots to map an area
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:29:18 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 548 549 [550] 551 552 ... 2205