Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2502477 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2430 on: April 09, 2014, 08:14:35 am »

Know which?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:57 am »

How would Grate know all of that about the Doctor? I thought all he knew was that the Doctor runs the infirmary.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:15 am »

Manipulators are safe more often than not; [...]

I think I see where the problem sprang from.

I thought Grate didn't know that IC? How would he know that?

The doctor has a labcoat and glasses AND a hi-tech respirator. How would Grate know any better than to trust him? He just found the scienciest guy in the area and asked him his opinion.

EDIT: Also, the doctor has no hair and speaks in a laconic, detached fashion. More scienciness points, I say!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:20:56 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: April 09, 2014, 08:23:10 am »

How would Grate know all of that about the Doctor? I thought all he knew was that the Doctor runs the infirmary.
Aside from Harry's point, it's not exactly unknown that the Doc creates a bunch of abominations. He could have easily asked some older member how X monster became such and gotten an answer.
Besides, who would you pick? The AM? Using your own logic, how would Grate know about her experience with space magic? I'm having trouble imagining a situation where her skill with amps could come up without Grate specifically asking.

Manipulators are safe more often than not; [...]
I think I see where the problem sprang from.
Look at usage statistics. How often do overloads spring up?
It's like if the spoon pill turned you into an incarnation of poking your eye out with a spoon, turned up to 11. How was I supposed to know that would happen?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:26 am »

Aside from Harry's point, it's not exactly unknown that the Doc creates a bunch of abominations. He could have easily asked some older member how X monster became such and gotten an answer.
Besides, who would you pick? The AM? Using your own logic, how would Grate know about her experience with space magic? I'm having trouble imagining a situation where her skill with amps could come up without Grate specifically asking.
My point is, he shouldn't have thought the Doctor was a qualified source in the first place, plus he may not be one, considering none of his current works have any relation to pillmachine-like units or the internal workings of a manipulators.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:18 am »

Empi, while your first point stands, we've pretty much got proof that the Doc is VonNost now.  And VonNost was very important to the creation of ghostships, which are about the pinnacle of UWM Space Magic, and have some seriously eldritch design features.

I'd say the doctor knows more than anyone else on the Sword about space magic.  Possibly more than anyone else alive.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:41 am »

Look at usage statistics. How often do overloads spring up?

More often than not, I'd say, because nobody typically uses manipulators if they haven't got at least a +1, which means a 1/3 chance of it overshooting, 1/3 of a chance of it doing diddly squat and 1/3 chance of it doing roughly what you want it to. And the dice hate manipulator use. 6+1s abound, to say nothing of the 6+2s. So no. Manipulators are not safe more often than not. How could you even make that mistake? Did you even read Mission 10?

My point is, he shouldn't have thought the Doctor was a qualified source in the first place, plus he may not be one, considering none of his current works have any relation to pillmachine-like units or the internal workings of a manipulators.

But your point is easily refuted by my argument a few posts up. The Doctor looks really smart, you know. And he is really smart. He's just not overly concerned about people's well-being, which Grate had no way of knowing. Give the kid a break, man. Irresponsible parenting is the real villain here.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:02 am »

Empi, while your first point stands, we've pretty much got proof that the Doc is VonNost now.  And VonNost was very important to the creation of ghostships, which are about the pinnacle of UWM Space Magic, and have some seriously eldritch design features.

I'd say the doctor knows more than anyone else on the Sword about space magic.  Possibly more than anyone else alive.
We, the players have proof. Grate, the character does not. My point is based on the latter. Also, that had to do with their use, not their internals.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:24 am »

Hmm let me get this straight,

-First guy got turned into a living spoon when he ate a spoon pill.
-big boss scientist tells you that he has no goddamn clue how that machine works and tells you that putting volatile space magic in it could potentially be extremely fucking dangerous.
-you immediately ignore his advice and put in a battery containing pure space magic capable of fueling the creation of miniature stars and eat the resultant pill.
-shit inevitably hits the fan.
-we call you an idiot and you try shifting the blame.
-we call you an idiot again and demand you take responsibilty.

What hell did you think was gonna happen?
If you wanted to be a living manipulator logic dictates you put the device in, not the battery.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: April 09, 2014, 08:52:36 am »

He was the most qualified source available, and he didn't see any problem with it.
Let me put it this way. You ask a botanist about what would happen if you changed x gene in y bacteria. The botanist might not know, but s/he would be familiar enough with how disease works to know it could end very, very badly. So what does the botanist do? Does s/he imply everything will probably be fine*, or does s/he recommend a geneticist/microbiologist/whatever to ask?
*"Might" pretty much always means "less than 50% chance," and often means "much less than 50% chance".

More often than not, I'd say, because nobody typically uses manipulators if they haven't got at least a +1, which means a 1/3 chance of it overshooting, 1/3 of a chance of it doing diddly squat and 1/3 chance of it doing roughly what you want it to. And the dice hate manipulator use. 6+1s abound, to say nothing of the 6+2s. So no. Manipulators are not safe more often than not. How could you even make that mistake? Did you even read Mission 10?
I was on Mission 10.
And...
1. You're ignoring people who use it without the +1, and only a fractional bonus or a lack of a penalty.
2. You're ignoring decompensators, which are used by the people with higher bonuses.
3. You're ignoring that overshots do not correspond to overloads with a 1:1 ratio.

Irresponsible parenting is the real villain here.
A sentence I imagine piecewise never imagined being said in relation to this game when he made it.

We, the players have proof. Grate, the character does not. My point is based on the latter.
Well, go back to Baldman's point then. He looks sciencey, he is associated with the abominations (should Grate care to ask), and he's well-known around the Sword.

Also, that had to do with their use, not their internals.
Designing advanced space magic like that...well, he probably knew more about the internals than most amp users.

-big boss scientist tells you that he has no goddamn clue how that machine works and tells you that putting volatile space magic in it could potentially be extremely fucking dangerous.
He didn't say that. All he said was that something "bad" might happen.

-you immediately ignore his advice and put in a battery containing pure space magic capable of fueling the creation of miniature stars and eat the resultant pill.
We go back to my analogy with the spoon pill. How was I supposed to know that the result would be the absolute worst thing that can happen with manipulators, turned up to 11? Or that the batteries contained, quote, "pure space magic"?
And he didn't turn into a living spoon, he got metal patches on his...head, I think. Or was it hands?

-we call you an idiot and you try shifting the blame.
...because the blame really isn't mine.

If you wanted to be a living manipulator logic dictates you put the device in, not the battery.
...That's like saying that the keyboard is the important part of the computer.
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:50 am »

You can't really shift your blame if the reasoning of your character was based simply on aesthetics and associations of tangential relevance.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:10 am »

Ah, but I also have OOC reasons for having chosen the Doc: He's experienced with body-modding and helped designing the Ghost Ships, meaning that he probably understands the inner workings of space magic better than anyone else on the ship.

And if you point out that Grate couldn't know that one more time I will freak.
Sig

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:20 am »

Is there any evidence of him knowing about the pill-machine though? Additionally, you are defending an in-character decision using out-of-character knowledge to back it up, are you to say his actions weren't so reckless because of what his eldritch puppeteer knew?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:42 am »

Guys, do try to remenber that grate=/=GWG. Grate is just some dumb naïve kid, so him taking a random pil seems believable (why do you think pill bottels have special screwcaps IRL?). And if we really  start bitching endlessly in OOC to the player everytime a character does something stupid, that'd diminish the fun of the game (many memorabele moments stem from bad decisions IC, even if the player knew better). That said, GWG, if you'd stop the whistling and "HE SAID MIGHT" spamming, people wouldn't be so annoyed/pissed at you (I couldn't care less really, I ignore spam on the internet pretty well by now, but others are obviously bothered by it). Really, people got over far worse fuckups from other players, cause those players didn't gleefully remind everyone every damn time the thing was mentioned even a little.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:08:08 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:47 am »

@GWG
Umm hello, bad is dangerous.

Well lets see now, spoon guy got a big spoon shaped metal crest on his head that made him look identical to a spoon when he stood upright with his hands at his side and in essence meant he was a giant bipedal spoon.
Ingesting batteries would then obviously make you contain energy, perhaps more then you could physically contain in a fleshy meatsack. Oh and its pretty darn obvious those batteries dont contain electricity.

Blame is yours. doc warned you, you failed to grasp the importance of his words.

No, its like saying "fuck batteries, they cant do 36 billion calculations a second."
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 2205