Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494240 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #1680 on: March 15, 2014, 12:39:01 pm »

I'm talking in theory, of course.

From reading everything, PW appears to handle more smaller things better than fewer larger ones, but that also means more overhead and behind the scenes effects to manage.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 15, 2014, 01:05:14 pm »

More importantly, what makes you think we'll even have 20 living people by the time this is over?
Seeing how there is no limit on new applications or submitting a new character if your old one dies, that doesn't matter really. As long as we win this mission (so that the storyline can continue) then 90% could die without a big drop in players.

Aside from the inventories being public knowledge. And there would have to be some way for the players to access their hands.
And I don't know if I've ever played Munchkin with that few players.
GM knows what every player's hand holds, and players should be capable of keeping track of that themselves. If they forget they pm the GM. Cards on the table get posted every round by the GM.

From reading everything, PW appears to handle more smaller things better than fewer larger ones, but that also means more overhead and behind the scenes effects to manage.
Indeed, I've noticed that to. We are lucky we have been able to keep a sort of organized team structure running on these big missions. Imagine 30+ players all running around sans direction or cohesion.
THE CHAOS

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: March 15, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »

I'm talking in theory, of course.

And he seems to do a much better job. Or maybe he just isn't as good at mass combat stuff.

Indeed, I've noticed that to. We are lucky we have been able to keep a sort of organized team structure running on these big missions. Imagine 30+ players all running around sans direction or cohesion.
THE CHAOS
I'm imagining it. Not much different than what's going on now, actually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: March 15, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »

Does anybody else get the feeling that we've been going through this whole battle with the wrong mentality? The prevailing attitude seems to be 'let's get this over with as soon as possible so that we can get to other stuff', and I really haven't drawn much enjoyment from any of the current battle. It's all just "[3+1] Yep." and "[6+2] Well."

I mean, piecewise's descriptions are really the reason I like ER, and it just seems to me like some of that soul has gotten lost in all the urgent business we have to get through. I'd really prefer fewer updates if it meant a greater fluff-to-crunch ratio. Am I only one who feels this way?

After all, if the battle really is an exercise in tedium, why bother with it in the first place?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: March 15, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »

It would be nice, but...well, there's not much room for fluff in the middle of battle.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 15, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »

I dunno about the rest if you, but I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. But that's probably cause Miya gets to bark orders around and such (it kinda plays like an elaborate RTS at the moment).

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 15, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »

I dunno about the rest if you, but I'm enjoying myself thoroughly. But that's probably cause Miya gets to bark orders around and such (it kinda plays like an elaborate RTS at the moment).

Sorry, but I have to: Wouldn't that be a TBS?

My problem's mostly the same as the source of your enjoyment, actually. It's like we're just a bunch of pieces in a game of chess right now. And being a piece in a game of chess is pretty boring.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:17:16 pm by Harry Baldman »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 15, 2014, 02:43:34 pm »

Yeah, the current situation doesn't really allow for much creative roleplaying. It's pretty much just follow orders, shoot the sods in front of you, receive a number telling how much damage you did, repeat until death.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 15, 2014, 03:10:47 pm »

Yeah, the current situation doesn't really allow for much creative roleplaying. It's pretty much just follow orders, shoot the sods in front of you, receive a number telling how much damage you did, repeat until death.
This so much.
Especially for the newbies who don't even have multiple options of what to shoot with and how.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 15, 2014, 03:21:49 pm »

This so much.
Especially for the newbies who don't even have multiple options of what to shoot with and how.
Correction: that's how it was, in the first wave. Now the situation's going to be a little... different. Especially if we don't get the drone infestation contained this turn.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 15, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »

I'm kind of hoping the casualty rate skyrockets myself. As proven in the first wave, it's a great way to relieve the monotony.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 15, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »

I'm kind of hoping the casualty rate skyrockets myself. As proven in the first wave, it's a great way to relieve the monotony.
Plus overloads.
Stacy
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 15, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »

Does anybody else get the feeling that we've been going through this whole battle with the wrong mentality? The prevailing attitude seems to be 'let's get this over with as soon as possible so that we can get to other stuff', and I really haven't drawn much enjoyment from any of the current battle. It's all just "[3+1] Yep." and "[6+2] Well."

I mean, piecewise's descriptions are really the reason I like ER, and it just seems to me like some of that soul has gotten lost in all the urgent business we have to get through. I'd really prefer fewer updates if it meant a greater fluff-to-crunch ratio. Am I only one who feels this way?

After all, if the battle really is an exercise in tedium, why bother with it in the first place?

Yep, I feel that way myself.  I mean, it was pretty easy to glean enjoyment from playing Saint, and figuring out what to use AUX for, but in terms of actual quality of updates it's pretty terrible.  To be fair, PW does have a massive amount of stuff to do- between hunting all the posts, getting proper quotes (why?), and all the backround rolls he has to do, the turns probably take a long time already.  Plus, there's only so many ways one can say "You shoot the sod!  His head goes kablooie!"

Running several small missions would probably help, because PW could update them in sequence.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 15, 2014, 05:04:46 pm »

To be fair, PW does have a massive amount of stuff to do- between hunting all the posts, getting proper quotes (why?), and all the backround rolls he has to do, the turns probably take a long time already.  Plus, there's only so many ways one can say "You shoot the sod!  His head goes kablooie!"
I believe that that's a big part of the problem.
Sig

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 15, 2014, 07:03:02 pm »

Sorry, but I have to: Wouldn't that be a TBS?
Ohohoho. Well played Mister Baldman.

My problem's mostly the same as the source of your enjoyment, actually. It's like we're just a bunch of pieces in a game of chess right now. And being a piece in a game of chess is pretty boring.
Yeah, I was afraid this would be the situation for a lot of the players. But unless you'd prefer there be no coordination whatsoever, I'm not sure what I/Miya could do to help solve this. I already gave away some responsibilities to others so at least some players would get more stuff to do (like giving artillery to Simus (for all the good it did) or letting others order around the ships). Team leaders should also have some more wiggle room for playing, but for the average grunt there is indeed very little to do besides shooting, getting shot at, repeat ad nauseam.

I'd find it sad if we never had another big combat mission/military campaign again, but when it happens having just a few players (like regular missions) might be best, with AI allies (sods or robots) to give a sense of scale and believability to the whole thing. That way, every player would have at least some grunts to order around, instead of being a grunt himself that gets ordered around.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:04:51 pm by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 2205