Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487707 times)

Phoenix Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #930 on: February 21, 2014, 07:54:05 am »

I think that every time a decompensator is used it further reduces your mind points and there's no way to make those regenerate faster. You'd probably end up with a big case of brain damage if you overuse it.
Heh, this where we find out that overusing a decomp creates a Grade 9 incident

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 21, 2014, 08:00:28 am »

Making decompensators accumulate mental strain could be a good way to balance them, yeah.

However, maybe they are merely patching a flaw of the original system? Skilled people should be capable of not overdoing things without special brain hardware.

Maybe make it so that "dynamic bonuses" for preparing an action some time in advance achieve the same purpose? I.e. you get the same amount of bonus for spending any number of turns preparing, and that bonus is either ±1, or +/- your skill/stat bonus, whichever is higher.

This way, characters with +1 or less in a skill will be able to boost themselves up by +1 by preparing, and people with higher bonuses will be able to boost higher, but up to their base bonus. Characters with +4 and higher will receive such a bonus that on anything but a 6 they will still get a 5, as long as they spend a turn to steady themselves.
Decompensators, under that system, will fall into being supplementary devices for combat - when you can't spend time to prepare. They could act like auto-amps, draining will depending on how much they have to compensate, but they would act instantly and always.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:34 am »

Just gonna comment that the tyranids are pretty weaksauce as far as ER is concerned.  Look up the Altered.  They break things even more than the 'nids.  And the UWM managed to beat them.

The only advantage the 'nids have is that they supposedly have massive amounts of forces outsids the galaxy.  Which is of debatable usefulness considering they'd still have to propel all that mass somewhere to use it, and that would probably expend most of their mass.

Also, +1 to Sean's suggestion so much.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 21, 2014, 08:11:32 am »

Yay! I can play without passing Will checks to walk down a hallway anymore!
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:22 am »

I'm pretty sure Battlesuits are 4m tall, since Avatars are said frequently to be 5m.

So much for getting a laser pointer to mess with you!

Dear god. A battlesuit sized grenade launcher. Yeah. Go ahead, I'll just stand waaaaay back here.
Personally, I'd just install a 'nade launcher on the battlesuit's shoulder or something so the hands are free to wield something bigger.

An excellent idea!

On that note, whenever Lars gets some time, he needs to see what the Heavy Laser battlesuit is exactly capable of (and what it gives up for coming with a weapon.)  Also, is it arm mounted or what?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 21, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

Huh, I have a tear of Timmy permanently embedded in my chest.  At least while I still have a chest.  No way that could have bad side effects.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 21, 2014, 09:40:58 am »

Dude, you're good.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 21, 2014, 09:47:20 am »

Just gonna comment that the tyranids are pretty weaksauce as far as ER is concerned.  Look up the Altered.  They break things even more than the 'nids.  And the UWM managed to beat them.
The only advantage the 'nids have is that they supposedly have massive amounts of forces outsids the galaxy.  Which is of debatable usefulness considering they'd still have to propel all that mass somewhere to use it, and that would probably expend most of their mass.
Not entirely true on the second half. They also screw with psychic abilities; no clue what the side effects of that would be in the ERverse, but it's a big advantage when every potential enemy lives in the Warp, uses psykers extensively, or requires Warp access to call/get reinforcements. In addition, they have some amount of your typical 40k physics-screwing; presumably, in there is an efficient FTL drive and some bio-stasis. (And remember, kids, photosynthesis is organic!) They can also assimilate useful traits and basically eat everything except solid rock. Including the liquidness of magma (they drain the heat for...something). Plus, they have biological versions of basically every weapon.
So, yeah. Not quite Altered-level, but they don't just have numbers.

Also, any ideas on how to use my Nyars artifact and figure out what it does?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 21, 2014, 10:05:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I found GWG's artifact. Read the last paragraph. It's the alien's power source from mission 1.
Maybe you could use it to power something. Or tie it to the end of a stick and use it as an insanity-inducing melee weapon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:07:45 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:03 am »

I'm not sure how I would tie it to a stick...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 21, 2014, 10:18:17 am »

So much for getting a laser pointer to mess with you!
actually, that's still perfectly fine and can happen. The problem was when I couldn't stop when I wanted/needed too. Playing with a laser pointer is one thing, Playing with it while some alien monstrosity (or Xan) is busy murdering and eating a teammate of mine four feet away is a whole other problem. I was at risk of getting myself or teammates killed because I couldn't stop when it really was a bad time or there were other things I needed to be doing. That doesn't mean you can't still mess with me with a laser pointer, it just wont be a laser pointer of mind control anymore.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:47 am »

I just re-read part of mission 1. That thing you have was powering an entire very technologically advanced alien base with electricity. You could power all your equipment with it forever and never have to buy another battery.

Step 1: Get a stick
Step 2: Get the future equivalent of super glue
Step 3: Cover the end of the stick with glue
Step 4: Poke the artifact
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34:53 am »

I just re-read part of mission 1. That thing you have was powering an entire very technologically advanced alien base with electricity. You could power all your equipment with it forever and never have to buy another battery.
I wonder if it would work with manipulators, too...

Step 1: Get a stick
Step 2: Get the future equivalent of super glue
Step 3: Cover the end of the stick with glue
Step 4: Poke the artifact
I suppose that might work, if it stuck to sticky glue...

I've been doing a bit of research on that glowy alien thing. Man, ER was a lot wackier back then. And piecewise was explaining a lot more.

>I'll let you in on a secret. The really good alien artifacts are usually glowing or floating or made out of something humans can't comprehend. We're not really sure why, it seems a bit inconvenient, but there you go. So, considering that that thing is the biggest, floatingest,glowingest, weirdest thing around, I'd say its worth grabbing.
Either he was wrong or I hit the jackpot.

>Analyzing. Yep, thats the power source for the whole building. Huh. It seems to be feeding power to all those clear boxes in that room.
Did we ever figure out anything about how it worked?

(Welp, part of that is going on the OOC thread.)
As you requested. Kinda.
((Jim: Uh...ohh...What happened...? I just remember something hitting my lower body then nothing....
Feyri: Hello darling!
*Cue to Feyri in a weddding dress*
Jim: Who's marrying?
Feyri: We just married!!!
Jim: HOW THE FUCK IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE *cough*
Feyri: I surfed on the interwebs and found a priest that marries yandere mercenaries and nearly-dead carcasses for one token.
Jim: Next mission please. Make it hard enough to kill me for sure this time. Twice over.))
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:30 am »

You're basically two years late on that. :V
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #944 on: February 21, 2014, 12:22:58 pm »

Put on the space suit! It is time to look cool!
I'm really curious where it comes from.
Maybe from that artifact that appeared in Halloween?
You think it has any data in it?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 2205