Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants won't stop  (Read 1142 times)

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants won't stop
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:48:57 pm »

I've had the 2 hard coded waves, and a liason has come twice. My population cap is set at 0, i am trying to do a 1-dwarf fort. Yet, another batch of migrants just arrived. What's going on, and how do i stop them for good?
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants won't stop
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »

Kill. Everyone.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:56:40 pm »

I've had the 2 hard coded waves, and a liason has come twice. My population cap is set at 0, i am trying to do a 1-dwarf fort. Yet, another batch of migrants just arrived. What's going on, and how do i stop them for good?

I believe the liaison has to speak with a dwarf and leave the map alive to transmit the population. That or I'm pretty sure there's a DFHack thing to instantly update your civ on your population...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:59:43 pm »

I don't think the population cap works if it's set to less than 4.

DFHack is probably the best bet if you want to enforce an extremely low popcap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:12:27 pm »

I don't think the population cap works if it's set to less than 4.

DFHack is probably the best bet if you want to enforce an extremely low popcap.
How do i do that with dfhack?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:23:02 pm »

r3 comes with fix/population-cap, which instantly reports your population back to the Mountainhomes.

Quick edit: There may have been a more comprehensive script created in the meantime. I'm having a look for it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 07:14:10 pm »

This is getting incredibly frustrating. 6 waves of migrants i have had to kill now. My dwarf is spending half his time collecting their gear and building coffins...

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 07:32:04 pm »

The actual one-dwarf-fort is currently simply not supported by the game. Any attempt at it basically turns into an abominable crime against dwarfkind, because if you only have one dwarf, you _always_ get migrants if they can appear on the map at all.

You could try to get one of the "tiny island" maps to work, make an embark encompassing a complete island (with water on all edges) and prevent immigration by lack of access. Or you could build a normal low-population fort and split a solitary hermit off that fort.

Neither would necessarily be exactly what you envisioned, but did you seriously plan your hermit fort as "massmurderdwarf: murder for solitude", "massmurderdwarf 2: massmurder harder" and "massmurderdwarf 3: the burying"?

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »

So... what i am hearing is, if i put water on the edges of the map- no migrants?
That or my hermit will be a serial killer hermit >:)

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »

I thought setting the cap to 0 made it say "No pop cap!"
That might just be with babies though...

Also, attachments at bottom of post give the option to "Don't use smileys." > :) Only works for NOEMOTION hermits.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 08:35:25 pm »

I thought setting the cap to 0 made it say "No pop cap!"
That might just be with babies though...

Also, attachments at bottom of post give the option to "Don't use smileys." > :) Only works for NOEMOTION hermits.
Setting the cap to 1 didn't work either, so i think what others were saying is accurate; it won't work under 4 dwarves.
One thing i have noticed- therapist still lists ghosts as dwarves, so will 3 ghosts and my guy count?

Spitemaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:12 am »

You might try regenning, and set the max age of dwarves to 1 during generation (set it back to normal after that).  Then they'll all die out and there will be no dwarves (after the first two hardcoded waves).

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:11:34 pm »

Ha, you went up from serial kill to genocide.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 04:50:58 pm »

You might try regenning, and set the max age of dwarves to 1 during generation (set it back to normal after that).  Then they'll all die out and there will be no dwarves (after the first two hardcoded waves).

How does that work?
I had a thread recently on genning a playable dwarfless world in order to play a low populated fortress. There was no satisfing solution.

After setting max age to 1 the dwarfs civs always kept respawning new dwarfs and thus never died out!
Only once I made them all male they died out and dwarf mode was disabled.

Tribea

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Im from nationstates, so i bring brain fungi!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 04:55:31 pm »

Them derty elveses! Them been tryin ta rascal owr 'spplies fo eve. N now emz tryin ta tak owr drems o akin a un dorf fort!
Pages: [1] 2