Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305265 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2070 on: March 06, 2014, 01:35:18 pm »

As I said before the best solution for Ukraine is to sell Crimea to Turkey. You say it's illegal to sell territory without asking the population first? Pfff. We'll let Turkery to hold the referendum, sometime later. After they deport Russians away. It worked in Abkhazia when they forced Georgians away

I really hope this is a joke.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »

Moscow correspondent of the WaPo does an AMA. In case anyone wanted to get a look at the thinking of a western journalist living in Russia.

A few interesting answers there, but this one jumped out at me;
Does Russia really believe the uprising was provoked? Or are they using that as justification for their actions, which are actually driven by other motives?
No, I think this is one place where Western diplomats and commentators often slip up. They say things like: Putin can't possibly believe that, can he? Yes, I do think Russia believes the uprising was provoked by the EU and the US. The appearance of top US and EU politicians and diplomats on the square during the uprising (Victoria Nuland, John McCain, Catherine Ashton, and many others) only served to reinforce the Kremlin's suspicions.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:03 pm »

A few interesting answers there, but this one jumped out at me;
Does Russia really believe the uprising was provoked? Or are they using that as justification for their actions, which are actually driven by other motives?
No, I think this is one place where Western diplomats and commentators often slip up. They say things like: Putin can't possibly believe that, can he? Yes, I do think Russia believes the uprising was provoked by the EU and the US. The appearance of top US and EU politicians and diplomats on the square during the uprising (Victoria Nuland, John McCain, Catherine Ashton, and many others) only served to reinforce the Kremlin's suspicions.
Well, I think one thing we learned in this thread too is that the Russian perspective on these events is very different from the Western one. Of course we can dismiss that as propaganda, but the fact remains that many people believe it. Maybe there is really a need for a fact finding mission, to get to a narrative that is acceptable to both sides, but I doubt that will work with the biases and distrust on both sides here.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2073 on: March 06, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »

About 'russian thinking'.
While it is horribly pretentious to try and do this, I will anyway.

With what misko said earlier in mind:
So, on a more, analytical note, the news from FreedomLand:

I've noticed two broad narratives in the US about Putin, what he wants, why he invades, and what can solve the crisis (well sorta). They are broad yet coherent, and have both negative and positive things to say about Putin (though it leans negative, shockingly). Here is a bit of my armchair analysis (the only way to analyze news).

I've euphemistically divided these into "Putin the Wolf", and "Putin the Bear". Remember, these aren't value judgments (although they do lend themselves to them), this is just me describing what they see.
Spoiler: Putin the Wolf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Putin the Bear (click to show/hide)
Anyway,the US government is disorganizedly planning all sorts of measures, with Obama organizing sanctions against Russian individuals, and Congress scrambling to press sanctions against Russia itself and others, possibly through an expansion of the Magnitsky Act, which froze assets of Russians involved with human rights violations, and by aiding Ukraine directly, through loan guarantees and direct aid and such things.

My impression is more of the wolf, after all it's his job as a politician to be cunning, he's ex-KGB and everything, and intelligence agencies don't hire for sentimentality.
However, I think the alternate impression of 'the bear' can be construed because that's more reflective of the Russian people themselves, (can any ruskies on here offer their opinion on this?). And Putin, being the wolf, taps into this latent nationalistic feeling of the general population for the brownie points.
So in Russia he's viewed as the bear, just like the culture at large, and the lipservice he pays to this alternate image confuses analyses of his character.
tl;dr- He's a wolf in bear's clothing.

Am I onto something here or should I lurk more?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: March 06, 2014, 02:16:06 pm »

Well, I think one thing we learned in this thread too is that the Russian perspective on these events is very different from the Western one. Of course we can dismiss that as propaganda, but the fact remains that many people believe it. Maybe there is really a need for a fact finding mission, to get to a narrative that is acceptable to both sides, but I doubt that will work with the biases and distrust on both sides here.

One thing you will find with that is you need to go very deep to create the relative context.

You will notice in this thread that nearly everyone believes their own politicians are utterly incompetent. This is easy when you have to live with them. It's pretty hard to believe the clowns who are utterly failing to accomplish anything of merit on the local scale (read, any government ever) could pull of grand conspiracies and plots on the international scale. It's much easier to believe that about foreign leaders.

So it's easy for, say, a Russian to believe that Putin is a fool but has his heart in the right place and is taking actions he was forced into by western intervention in Ukraine. At the same time they might believe that Obama is playing a masterful game of 3 dimensional chess and elegantly set up the downfall of the Ukrainian government to install a NATO puppet, revoke Russian access to the Black Sea and oppress Russian speakers in Crimea.

At the same time believing such a thing is considerably harder for people who have watched Obama trying and failing to, say, shutdown a single prison over the course of six years (or pass a budget, or set up a healthcare website), but who are far more willing to believe that an ex-KGB agent is the architect of a scheme to establish a new greater Russia by establishing Russian populations he then has to move in to 'protect' once they are 'threatened' by western liberal values.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2075 on: March 06, 2014, 02:29:46 pm »

Woo polarizing media. Most everyone is competent and are dealing with other competent people. Extremes are a result of biased media/political science.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: March 06, 2014, 02:36:22 pm »

-snip-
Yes, that is generally what I meant earlier when I said that it is difficult to voice a differentiated viewpoint when people on both sides think the other side is basically the devil.
I don't think for example the EU acted all that clever in this whole chain of events, starting with the trade agreement that forced Yanukovych to decide which side to pick. I do trust however that my own politicians do have good intentions overall and do not seek an actual conflict. Of course if you reject that basic premise and attribute any outcome that could be explained by incompetence to evil imperialistic intentions, it's very hard to get to a common point of view.
Of course the distrust goes both ways, the "West" has a very hard time to trust Putin and Russia in general too, so why should it be different the other way round. How we could come to a better mutual understanding, I don't know. In times of crisis that's harder than ever.

-snip-
I don't fully buy either explanation, though I tend to agree a bit more with the "bear" interpretation. The old block thinking, nationalism, hurt pride and everything are a major factor in this. Putin is probably trying to restore some of Russia's lost imperial glory, but he may very well feel genuinely deceived and threatened by the West.
I don't think he really wants a war with Ukraine, that wouldn't have popular support in Russia, but he feels right to employ methods that we perceive as aggression, and feels justified to do so because he perceives many things the West (and the US specifically) have been doing in the last decades as the same thing.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: March 06, 2014, 02:44:53 pm »

Yes, that is generally what I meant earlier when I said that it is difficult to voice a differentiated viewpoint when people on both sides think the other side is basically the devil.
It's less about believing the other side is evil and more that we are likely to overestimate the competence (and so likely hood of conspiracy theories and deep plots involving) foreign leaders while underestimating the competence of our own.

It's entirely possible that the same effect influences people who support foreign leaders over their own, or who distrust local media while taking foreign state media as gospel. Saw a fair amount of this with people citing Russia Today as a trusted news source over the last year. Seems to be fading out again now.

But my point is that's one of the deep biases you would have to account for in any attempt to create a "narrative that is acceptable to both sides". It's as much cultural context as any clear bias. And only one secondary aspect of such context which is still a gross generalisation.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:53:45 pm by palsch »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: March 06, 2014, 03:11:28 pm »

It's less about believing the other side is evil and more that we are likely to overestimate the competence (and so likely hood of conspiracy theories and deep plots involving) foreign leaders while underestimating the competence of our own.

It's entirely possible that the same effect influences people who support foreign leaders over their own, or who distrust local media while taking foreign state media as gospel. Saw a fair amount of this with people citing Russia Today as a trusted news source over the last year. Seems to be fading out again now.

But my point is that's one of the deep biases you would have to account for in any attempt to create a "narrative that is acceptable to both sides". It's as much cultural context as any clear bias. And only one secondary aspect of such context which is still a gross generalisation.
Well, realistically you could only have the leading politicians on both sides agreeing to a common viewpoint. I don't think this is possible on a scale much beyond that. There are multiple interpretations in the press coverage alone, and that does not account by far for the multitude of opinions people tend to have, some of which are pretty outlandish (and that is only what I've read or heard locally, not accounting for the rest of the world).

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: March 06, 2014, 03:57:38 pm »

Any news so far?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: March 06, 2014, 04:00:51 pm »

Ukrainian PM has declared Crimean Parliament illegitimate.

Considering most of the parliament that was elected isn't actually allowed to the participate, and unknown individuals who are currently making it up have decided to entirely side with Russia 100% no matter the outcome of the referendum, this is... unsurprising.

Not sure if that's new?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:18 pm »

Since the Crimean parliament does not accept the government in Kiev either, declaring it illegitimate is unlikely to have any effect. The US and EU have condemned the Crimean referendum (now scheduled for March 16) about joining Russia, but that is unlikely to have any effect either.
No big news elsewhere either.
There are some very mild EU sanctions against Russia now, talks continue with little outcome so far. The proposed contact group hasn't been established yet.
The US has moved a few fighter planes to Lithuania and Poland, which both serves to calm down the worried Baltic states and to do a bit of sabre-rattling on the NATO side.
Tymoshenko and Klitschko have asked the West for stronger measures, but I don't know how realistic that is at this point. Klitschko talked about Ukraine joining the EU and NATO, that seems far in the future right now to me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:18:30 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: March 06, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

Any news so far?

Not much. Starring matches continue. Crimean Parliament keep passing absurd decision and so on

But my friend said that he witnessed Ukrainian column that includedBM30s moving from the West to either Crimea or Eastern borders.  Quite worrisome I'd say. That means that Ukrainian army doesn't count out that serious large scale fighting will begin. BM30s aren't for police actions or defending bases. Those are for creating moon landscapes
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »

There are some very mild EU sanctions against Russia now, talks continue with little outcome so far. The proposed contact group hasn't been established yet.
These sanctions, however, come with a timeline: If Russia won't cooperate in the next few days, the sanctions will be expanded to include travel restrictions and the freezing of bank accounts; if the crisis persists, economic sanctions will be deployed.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 286