Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305079 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1110 on: March 01, 2014, 04:52:48 am »

A) The repeal of the language law didn't happen.
B) I though Israel was already ruled by an ultra-right wing party grounded in racism?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 01, 2014, 05:12:06 am »

burningpet, If I was you, I would worry not about Ukrainian nationalists in Ukrainian government but that Russia can and will supply Arabs with weapons if Putin will be allowed to do whatever he want
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 01, 2014, 05:25:59 am »

And supply the other side as well. Selling weaponry to both sides of a western proxy-war is a proud western tradition.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 01, 2014, 05:31:08 am »

A) non the less, that was one of the first things that new government tried to do and would have done without the veto. we all seen how easy it is to just violently overthrow a government, so if i were a native russian speaker, i wouldn't count on a single veto, i would worry about the entire general atmosphere. these processes are long term ones and even if in the coming 5 years Ukraine would be as peaceful as ever, there have been "precedents" here that will impact far more than the Ukraine.

B) Partially, but, even so, what's that have to do with anything? for argument sake, "Yesh Atid"'s yair lapid as prime minister, along with the left wing were in the coalition during the coup.

UR - i can worry about both and i should worry about both. have no mistake, i am hardly a fan of putin. and as i just said, i don't even worry about Ukraine specifically, i worry about what just happened in Ukraine and how, in me eyes, it cant be overlooked given the political shifting in greece, the netherlands, france, spain, italy, and probably across a whole lot more countries in europe.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:43:09 am by burningpet »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:07 am »

1) I agree that trying to pass that law was a stupid idea. I don't really know what they were thinking: in a time like that your focus should be on restoring national unity, not doing petty shit like that. But I guess everyone is hot-headed at the moment.

2) Saying that an elected government was overthrown is an half-truth. It was done by an elected parliament.

3) So let's say a left-wing government known for its mass graft and corruption signs a wildly impopular deal. A large segment on the Israeli population (including unsavory racists types and the whole spectrum of the current government) occupy some square. The government try unsuccessfully to clear it by force, and from there violence escalate on both side until the government deploy police armed with M16 and snipers and leave 80 body on the streets of Tel-Aviv, mostly protesters.

At that point, a bunch of MKs defect and bring down the government, bringing instead the current government, complete with its racists nutjobs.

Would you call it "overthrow of a democratic government"? Do you think the West would do anything to oppose it?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:21:29 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 01, 2014, 05:49:42 am »

Frau Merkel, I suggest you to move German troops in Kaliningrad, name them "local self-defense squads" and hold a referendum to annex it. Apparently that is OK for 21th century politics

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 01, 2014, 06:07:22 am »

Decent analysis of the recent shootout. Has some hardly provable suggestions at the end, though.
Not recommended for children or sensitive people.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 01, 2014, 06:15:04 am »

The proper comparison is if hassidim, or more probably, right-wing "jewish house" along with the likud overthrew the coalition by forcefully taking control of the knesset, well, if there wouldn't have been any western opposition, its solely due to its unprecedent weakness, nothing else. non the less, i am willing to bet that severe sanctions would have taken place and if that new government first act would have been trying to demote the arabic language, a new yom kipur war would have probably start (given "normal" conditions in the neighbouring countries)

UR - The west doesn't operate like that. they just nurture aspirations for the "local self-defense squads" to violently enforce their democracy, or more precisely, economical interests.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 01, 2014, 06:37:52 am »

Frau Merkel, I suggest you to move German troops in Kaliningrad, name them "local self-defense squads" and hold a referendum to annex it. Apparently that is OK for 21th century politics

Would be easier for Poles. And hell, the map of Poland during the Sochi Olympics (accidentally) included Kaliningrad, so I guess Russians are fine with it. ANNEX AWAY!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 01, 2014, 06:55:41 am »

"We are America. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your cultural  distinctiveness to our own.  Resistance is futile."
You forgot the "your culture will adapt to service us" part, and I think it's totally appropriate.

On topic, This whole russia invasion thing suck. I really want EU to do something and make Putin back the hell down because you can't go and conquer stuff like this in this day and age. You just don't.
I don't want WWIII either though, so it's all about a game of chicken and I hate those.

It starts looking like a Paradox game. "Rebels arise in Ukraine" "Russia gain 'opressed minority' casus belli against Ukraine" "US issues a warning to russia"
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 01, 2014, 07:03:09 am »

Actually, a warning is only for neighbouring states (of the warning state), so Imperial Russia should be fine ^-^

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 01, 2014, 07:03:54 am »

Decent analysis of the recent shootout. Has some hardly provable suggestions at the end, though.
Not recommended for children or sensitive people.

What shoot out?
Between the various debates going on here I must have missed the news.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 01, 2014, 07:06:04 am »

Didn't Ukraine recapture some parts of Russian occupied Crimea yesterday or something?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:11:55 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1124 on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:15 am »

Wow.
So that's it?
I'll give it the benefit of doubt and say that yes, it is possible a pro-Ukraine group unrelated to current "unknown/probably Russian" armed men tried to re-take control of key structures in Crimea.

But this just stinks of a set-up.
Future years may prove me wrong, but this is a classic "let's instigate armed conflict and then move in under the pretense of restoring law and order" take-over scenario.
Shit.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 286