Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305295 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #975 on: February 28, 2014, 01:38:09 pm »

I find it astonishing how that is even possible.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 28, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »

I'm gonna adapt a Polish joke about the corruption here to illustrate.

"The [nationality - in this case, Ukrainian] Minister of Infrastructure went to France to visit his French counterpart. The French Minister greeted him in his chateau, invited him to an expensive lunch and showed his collection of art.

'How could you afford the house, the art and everything?' asked the Ukrainian minister in amazement.
'Come here. Look out of the window. See that highway there? It cost 30 million, the company which built it billed it for 35 million and sent the 5 million to me.'

The minister, deep in thought, said his farewells and courteously offered for the Frenchman to visit him if he'd ever drop by.

Three years later, the French minister decided to visit his colleague. As he stepped through the gate, he was surprised. The mansion he saw was even bigger, the lunch a veritable feast, and the art collection dwarfed his.

'How did you do that?!' he asked.

The Ukrainian gestured for him to come to the window.

'See that highway over there?' the Ukrainian minister asked.
'What highway?'
'Exactly.'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 28, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »

I'm gonna adapt a Polish joke about the corruption here to illustrate.
Spoiler: Joke goes here (click to show/hide)

It is international.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »

Seems like an accurate account of what went on there.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 28, 2014, 02:23:43 pm »

Looks like this night will be hot in Crimea :(

Sadly Ukrainian army is a joke
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 28, 2014, 02:24:32 pm »

What, you want the Ukrainian army in? You realize this will only antagonize the people of Crimea?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:55 pm »

I don't want it, but I think that an attack on Ukrainian bases in Crimea is possible
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:07 pm »

They want a confrontation so they have their own "massacre" as a rallying cry. Yet they can't be allowed to get away with breaking away. That's how I see it. No good answers I'm afraid.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 28, 2014, 03:25:29 pm »

Maybe try diplomacy? You now, repel that stupid ban on Russian as an official language, announce it in Russian and negotiate with the government there?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:21 pm »

Sheb, I am 101% sure that local "government" are not the guys who give commands

That's Russian operation. That is direct intervention. They try to do what they did in Georgia back in 2008. Move troops in a country, when army of that country opens fire on that troops, wait till army of that country attacks occupation forces and then scream "They are attacking our civilians!" and SUDDENLY have mobilized forces to invade

But if plan A to fail, I think it is possible that Russians will do plan B and just annihilate our soldiers with that "unknown militiamen" who are in fact Russian marine infantry.

Oh and there are no ban on Russian language, that's nonsense. One badly-written law, that was passed in unlawful way,  got canceled. Besides cancellation of that law is vetoed by Turchinov already (senseless move if you ask me)
Finally that law has no effect in Crimea because in Crimea language is regulated by local constitution

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 28, 2014, 03:53:04 pm »

And hey,what happened to "Train of Friendship" full of armed maidan activists that was heading to Crimea? This situation is unclear to me. What I heard is that it was frightened off by Crimean volunteer self-defence forces. However, this is what Russian media says, so I cannot believe that completely.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 28, 2014, 03:53:58 pm »

Mysteriously, evening news bulletins on Russian television didn't even mention Ukrainian government's claims of armed invasion by the "Russian army". The takeover of Simferopol's airport was mentioned rather shortly, it was attributed to ethnic Russian self-defence forces.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 03:56:46 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 28, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »

And hey,what happened to "Train of Friendship" full of armed maidan activists that was heading to Crimea?
Nothing happened. It never existed.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 28, 2014, 04:00:35 pm »

And hey,what happened to "Train of Friendship" full of armed maidan activists that was heading to Crimea?
Nothing happened. It never existed.
Interesting

Mysteriously, evening news bulletins on Russian television didn't even mention Ukrainian government's claims of armed invasion by the "Russian army". The takeover of Simferopol's airport was mentioned rather shortly, it was attributed to ethnic Russian self-defence forces.
Link? Also interested.
Sigs

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 28, 2014, 04:09:28 pm »

Link? Also interested.

Websites of major Russian television channels such as Channel One Russia, Rossiya 1 and NTV have videos of aired news segments - none of them mentions Turchinov's accusations of armed invasion.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 286