Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305874 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #765 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:47 pm »

Quote from: update in that article
Correction (Feb. 22, 4:20 P.M.): An earlier version of this report incorrectly described Rabbi Azman as the chief rabbi of Ukraine. Azman is not the country's chief rabbi, but one of two rabbis challenging the official chief rabbi, Yaakov Bleich, in Kiev, and like most Chabad rabbis, is aligned with the Kremlin.
Ah, I see now. Had missed that last line. Seems odd that rabbis would align with the Kremlin, but ok.

Here are some more pics of some of the documents found in the presidential mansion. Looks like someone left behind a lot of evidence...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:00:20 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 22, 2014, 06:06:05 pm »

Seems odd that rabbis would align with the Kremlin, but ok.
This kind of rabbis are quite unusual

When I discussed them with one Zionist he said some words that I would consider to be very anti-semitic if he wasn't a Jew himself
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:12:21 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2014, 06:12:18 pm »

The point is true though, any sort of violence towards minorities would be the worst that could happen right now.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 22, 2014, 06:13:56 pm »

Yep. But I believe that "Berkut" is more xenophobic than even the most radical wings of Right Sector
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 22, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »

UR, what do you think are the odds Yanukovich won't survive the revolution?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »

BTW Marina Weisband, jewish-ukrainian former leader of the German Pirate Party who's been reporting from Kiev, has tweeted about the correction to that rabbi article too.
German newspaper FAZ still has the uncorrected version on its site. Maybe I should write them a strongly-worded comment, EU-style.  :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 23, 2014, 05:03:29 am »

Anyway, does anyone have an idea what happened exactly that allowed the opposition to take over. This entire government collapse was rather unexpected.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 23, 2014, 05:04:52 am »

Yanukovich is a wuss, that's what happened.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 23, 2014, 05:15:57 am »

Anyway, does anyone have an idea what happened exactly that allowed the opposition to take over. This entire government collapse was rather unexpected.
There are no definitive information but there are rumors that armed forces said "fuck off " to Yanukovitch's order to "restore order"

Remember the Polish foreign minister and his words about martial law and "you all will be dead" Most likely Yanukovitch said to EU foreign ministers that If he will not be allowed to stay in the position then  he will use the army and they, being afraid of Syria and believing that the army will follow the order pushed hard for that deal

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 23, 2014, 05:17:57 am »

For a 'bloodthirsty dictator', he was surprisingly lax, indecisive and too worried about his image in the Western media. If he had been actually ruthless, the Euromaidan would be over back in November.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 23, 2014, 05:25:51 am »

For a 'bloodthirsty dictator', he was surprisingly lax, indecisive and too worried about his image in the Western media. If he had been actually ruthless, the Euromaidan would be over back in November.
So naive. You make the same mistake as him: assuming that Ukrainians are easy to scare.
 BTW, Guardian get ready for Belorussian edition of Euromaidan. I bet it will happen in the next ten years, probably much sooner.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:52 am »

BTW, Guardian get ready for Belorussian edition of Euromaidan. I bet it will happen in the next ten years, probably much sooner.
Next year, to be more precise - we have presidential elections in 2015. Belarus will be a member state of the Eurasian Union then, so the Glorious Freedom Fighters against the Bloody Regime shouldn't expect to be met lightly. Lukashenko won't make the same mistakes as Yanukovich.

By the way, there were Ukrainian nationalist guys from Galicia and Volhynia among the Belarusian opposition ranks in the late 1990s. During opposition rallies in 1997 (IIRC) they bravely attacked the riot police, just like at Euromaidan in 2014. Unfortunately for them, the Minsk OMON didn't stand in one spot looking at them fiercely, so the brave Ukrainians got arrested and deported back to Ukraine.

edit: fixed grammar and stuff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:55:54 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:56 am »

Yeah, total misunderstanding of Ukrainian situation.

Explaining that when police is badly outnumbered and\or facing organized determined force they can't do much without live bullets* is a waste of time because you believe that they never got order to disperse protests.
* In fact sometimes they can't even with live bullets

I will tell you that: your brave Minsk OMON are wimps comparing to what Qaddafi had under his command.

PS. Am I the only one to see "My dictator is better dictator then yours, losers" attitude here?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 23, 2014, 07:29:52 am »

I wonder if successful Belarusian protests would lead to a restoration of the Belarusian language as was on the cards pre-Lukashenko. If the old white and red flag is flying in Minsk I think maybe attitudes would change.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 07:31:23 am by Owlbread »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 23, 2014, 07:41:40 am »

I wonder if successful Belarusian protests would lead to a restoration of the Belarusian language as was on the cards pre-Lukashenko. If the old white and red flag is flying in Minsk I think maybe attitudes would change.
If the Belarusian language will be enforced upon Russian-speaking people like in 1992-1994, then altitudes will change... against the people enforcing it.
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 286