Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305999 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Events in Ukraine
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2014, 04:56:02 am »

Whoa, text wall.

Edit: Ukraine could default within 2 months Link
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:00:55 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:13 am »

I'm surprised at how tame their demands are: resignation for Yanukovitch, release of captured protesters and presidential, legislative and Kiev City election.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:05 am »

I'm surprised about that, too, because with
intentional near misses from "protester's" snipers.
the demands could be much higher.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2014, 06:30:23 am »

Sergarr
While there are some real weapons stashed* and guys who know how to use that are present If that argument will be used then there are will be no way back, that will be Syria. No one wants that. If you think that nationalists are eager to start a civil war you are very wrong.  Being ready for war and  starting one is not the same.

*That is denied by both official opposition and Right Sector but that is mostly an open secret
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2014, 06:35:46 am »

Still, except for Yanukovich's resignation, all of this was already offered, no?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:12 am »

Still, except for Yanukovich's resignation, all of this was already offered, no?
Yes... but
a) Resignation of Yanukocivh is not a minor thing.

b) Right Sector demands unconditional release of all hostages  not amnesty in exchange for giving up all the territory in Kiev. And definitely not "house arrest before the trial" type of "release" that is happening now

c) There are no trust in fair elections. Many things to be changed to run them in a proper way. Current system will bring 2004-like elections. Nothing fun in that

d) That's the first step, no one is forgetting further demands like extensive reform of justice system, punishment for police officers caught in sadistic behavior, Europe-oriented foreign policy, real anti-corruption measures and more, more, more.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 15, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

So what are they offering in exchange for those demands, if not leaving Kiev?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 15, 2014, 07:41:55 am »

Should government release hostages: some streets may see barricades removed and protesters will leave the Kiev Council building

Other than that there are no public offers

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2014, 07:54:57 am »

Anyway, it appears the Kiev Council building has been evacuated.

Also Perhaps interesting. Wondering if 4$/hour is much in Ukraine.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2014, 08:03:28 am »

Anyway, it appears the Kiev Council building has been evacuated.

Also Perhaps interesting. Wondering if 4$/hour is much in Ukraine.

A lot, especially for the poor. My classmate's parents, back when I lived in Ukraine for half a year, made approximately 100$ a month.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 18, 2014, 03:34:52 am »

So, people decided to have a meeting near parliament building today. What government did? Same as always: blocked all approaches to the building with police . Result? New clashes with police  are starting...

This ****s don't want accept the fact that when they deny Ukrainians their right of peaceful assembly, Ukrainians  follow they wishes and come with molotovs in hands. 

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:44 am »

I've been getting mails calling to sign a petition against some anti-gay laws would be passing (Yeah, I get all of those. thanks got I've got a junk mail address) Seems a bit weird given the current state of things you'd think the government would have other things to do. Any news on that?

Also, totally write that in my game's next turn. :p

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #282 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:57 am »

Don't take this wrong, but I actually envy those living in Ukraine right now.

Why?

Because the situation is so bad people are willing to go on the streets en masse. And continue to do so even after months have passed. Because the situation is so bad they are willing to change it with their own hands.

My country? Eh, there's a lot of talk have things are bad. How politicians are incompetent, corrupt, how they are fucking us over. How we need to change something.
But things either aren't bad enough or we are all just apathetic too much to actually go outside and CHANGE something.

Funny thing is, about a year ago this actually happened. After mass protests, prime minister resigned, we had early elections, the opposition party came in power and all is right and dandy now. Except of course, it isn't. It's all the same as before.

*sigh*
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2014, 04:38:49 am »

This ****s don't want accept the fact that when they deny Ukrainians their right of peaceful assembly, Ukrainians  follow they wishes and come with molotovs in hands.
If a "peaceful assembly" consists of people with clubs and firebombs - who intend to break into a government building by force - it's not a peaceful assembly.
That's true for ANY country. ANY country would use force against that. Google 1992 Los Angeles riots.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:41:01 am by Valikdu »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:05 am »

If a "peaceful assembly" consists of people with clubs and firebombs - who intend to break into a government building by force - it's not a peaceful assembly.
That's true for ANY country. ANY country would use force against that. Google 1992 Los Angeles riots.

I think you're forgetting how it all BEGAN. They used to be peaceful.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 286