Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor  (Read 48875 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
« Reply #345 on: October 17, 2014, 08:29:40 am »

1314 years between "mordor left unguarded" and the events of the game. That's a big stretch.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:23 am »

Fantasy themes in general tend to have some silly concepts of time.

But these are worlds with lots of extremes and immortals, so what do I know.

For reference, we as mere normal humans went from bronze armour to naval railguns and landing on the moon in the same amount of time.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2014, 10:00:25 am »

I think it's safest to say you can slip a few rangers, doing ranger'y stuff, pretty much anywhere, during any time on middle earth that you want, and not totally break canon. It's kind of their job. Move quietly, defend Gondor and Arnor, don't show up in appendices, only in computer games.

Damn I hope someone figures out some modding for this game.
It's a game. Have fun.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2014, 10:24:09 am »

Yeah, I don't see a big problem with a slight ranger presence. I think it's safe to say that what we saw wasn't even a military presence, it's more like being on the lookout (and failing at that). Then again, you'd think that Mordor would allocate some resources to controlling the black gate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »

For reference, we as mere normal humans went from bronze armour to naval railguns and landing on the moon in the same amount of time.

we mostly had to fend off a couple invasion here and there, and a couple centuries of dark ages, their world got reshaped completely, got sun and other things destroyed on multiple occasion, had lot of places where curiosity literally killed you and all mechanical things where linked to dark arts (that's mostly speculation on ortanc fire and fireworks in general in ME).

I guess scientist and inquisitive minds in a magical world died prettly quickly.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2014, 06:19:38 pm »

We also didn't have lots of Very Scary Things lurking about and constraining the extent and mastery of civilization.  That's usually my go-to explanation for the weird stagnation you see in fantasy worlds.  That or an interregnum situation where there was some kind of "magitechnologically" advanced civilization that fell and we're in a dark period.

Elder races are easy to explain though.  You've got a race that doesn't reproduce rapidly and lives for extremely long periods of time.  Most of the rulers have been that way for an extremely long time -- Elrond and Galadriel have both been around since the First Age.  The conservatism would be next level, imagine if Hammurabi et al were still alive and running countries today.
Shoes...

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »

You don't necessarily even need a special explanation for the stagnation. Yeah, okay, it took 2,500 years to go from bronze armor to rail guns and space rockets, as umiman said. But the bronze age itself lasted as long as that, so you could also say that it took 2,500 years to go from bronze armor to bronze armor. The further back in history you go, the less rapid technological development is. In actual fact it took what, 200-ish years to go from steel breastplates and sabers to rail guns and space rockets? Dudes with swords had been the backbone of armies for thousands of years until only very recently. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the usual portrayal of Middle Earth as a medieval world with dudes in plate armor and such. I've always felt that it should all be a lot more primitive than that.

Also don't forget that human civilization tends to take two steps forward and one step back. If you look at the ancient Mediterranean world, it's amazingly modern in a great number of ways. Then the dark ages come around and it all goes downhill again. The progress whose fruits we reap only seems inevitable in hindsight. The Renaissance could very well have ended with another slump into yet another dark age.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2014, 08:36:42 pm »

The entire duration of humanity's recorded history is actually shorter than two of LotR's ages.

The entire Third Age, which is when these events take place, would actually take us as humanity back to when mammoths were still alive.

This is kinda fun... I wonder what else I can compare timewise...

If Elrond is alive in this world, he would have been around when men were trying to overcome their lactose intolerance after their first attempt at herding cows.

In the time it took for the One ring to be "un-lost", Afghanistan got invaded about 19 times.

For the amount of time that Gollum held onto the ring, around 20,000,000 species of fauna have gone extinct. According to the WWF anyway.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2014, 08:58:12 pm »

Dragons are a fun one too.  Elves have the excuse of being all reserved and Spockish to explain their behavior, but an arrogant greedy amoral bastard?  A ten thousand year old dragon (not that crazy as far as fantasy goes) would have been around for Sumer.  He would've seen basically the entire course of human civilization.  He knows from experience that human lives mean nothing.  Would he even register us as a legitimate form of life?

How fucking deranged would an actual ten-thousand year old being be, really?
Shoes...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »

I'd say as deranged as a dragon.

But, most of the time I'd assume it would slumber on its bed of gold for considerable lengths of time.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:05 am »

Becomes rather weird when the ghost has a wife and an entire tribe of outcasts who know and acknowledge him. Suddenly, it's a whole lot of ghosts.
Well, a ghost army isn't exactly unheard of, is it? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 18, 2014, 03:39:05 am »

But, most of the time I'd assume it would slumber on its bed of gold for considerable lengths of time.
That'd be grand. Imagine a dragon who slept for the last, oh, three centuries? It would've fell asleep around 1714. At this time, virtually nothing has changed for three centuries, and it's barely different from a millenia before. Guns and cannons and more powerful monarchs, but not very different. Three centuries later, the dragon awakens in 2014, wants to raid the town that has been there for the last two millenias, find sprawling metropolis of glass and steel, and is greeted by fighter jets and helicopters. Imagine the shock.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 18, 2014, 04:12:22 am »

I think such a thing was in "Vampires: The Masquerade" (The first one, not Bloodlines).

Spoiler: Kind of spoilerish. (click to show/hide)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:56 am »

That'd be grand. Imagine a dragon who slept for the last, oh, three centuries? It would've fell asleep around 1714. At this time, virtually nothing has changed for three centuries, and it's barely different from a millenia before. Guns and cannons and more powerful monarchs, but not very different. Three centuries later, the dragon awakens in 2014, wants to raid the town that has been there for the last two millenias, find sprawling metropolis of glass and steel, and is greeted by fighter jets and helicopters. Imagine the shock.

Nah, he was around for the last advanced civilization, the one that went to space and left no evidence behind ;)
Shoes...

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 18, 2014, 11:13:12 am »

On both sides.  Especially if the dragon in question was the size of Ancalagon.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26