Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hell Invading Tactics.  (Read 6111 times)

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell Invading Tactics.
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:10:34 pm »

I've tried looking on other threads, but I failed to find the answers I'm looking for. I'm planning to unleash hell for the first time. I've planning a few cave-in traps with two levels dropping into the route from hell to the surface (I'm going to cut it off from my main fortress). Once those have activated via pressure pads, I dug out a small arena. On the side leading to the surface are going to be a couple of cages containing my siege prisoners and cavern prisoners respectively. Once a pressure pad on the other side of the room unleashed them, I'm hoping that my Hell Defence Force will kill a few demons. Then my fortress, Boltspire, will lock down and become self-sufficient (which it already is, stuff from the traders are luxuries). Any surviving flying demons will hopeful by dealt with by my respectable military. If my military fails to deal with any fliers, I'll cut off the surface and courtyard, bebuild my diminished populace with children, turn Boltspire into new Sparta without all the fatalities and maimings, engrave slabs for the dead to stop any ghosts. My fortress will wait in out for years will the demons are slowly destroyed by sieges, ambushes and caravans. What do more experienced players think of my plan? Any ways to improve it will remaining morally okay for my dwarves? I like to look after my dwarves. Anyone else, however, is fair game. Especially hostiles.
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Hell Invading Tactics.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:22:02 pm »

You'd better not do this to Steelhold.

Demons are trapavoid.  You can kiss your pressure plates goodbye.  Try levers.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 05:30:11 pm »

Cave-in traps work in principle. The trick is getting the demons to stay under them. One good approach is to use a piece of artifact furniture as bait. The demons will all cluster around it, trying in vain to destroy it.

As 4maskwolf said, pressure plates will not work, but lever-operated traps will.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »

You'd better not do this to Steelhold.

Nah, that would kill the story and I really like a good story. This is purely because my best fort needs a new challenge.

Setting up levers to cause the cave-ins were plan A. How effective would the Hell Defence Force be? Same with sieges and caravans? What about thirty marksdwarves in iron armour with metal bolts, seven melee legendaries in steel armour and weapons, ten vets and ten rookies with iron armour and weapons vs flying demons?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:38:51 pm by Oshha »
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 05:51:52 pm »

What about thirty marksdwarves in iron armour with metal bolts, seven melee legendaries in steel armour and weapons, ten vets and ten rookies with iron armour and weapons vs flying demons?

Take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that typically the ranged threats tend to be fire-based, and as such aren't very durable. A few raising spikes attached to a repeater could do wonders to thin them out, making your marksdwarves all the more secure. Also, I'm pretty sure flying AI requires a ground path for them to decide to fly somewhere. For instance, if there is a winding path up a cliff, they will just fly straight there. Block the path and they become confused and don't fly upward. I could be wrong though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:45 pm »

That sounds fairly effective

Unfortunately, even that may not be enough.  If orbtrances taught me anything, it is that demons are damnably hard to kill.

To put that statement in context, four rock demons wreaked havoc on my forces, killing a wounded axelord, the second most powerful warrior in the fortress, and many other well trained soldiers.

All of those listed peoples were separate individuals.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

So my plan should work of wearing down the demons should work and if enough survive to cause trouble, I can just pull back underground and wait it out.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:43:51 pm »

So my plan should work of wearing down the demons should work and if enough survive to cause trouble, I can just pull back underground and wait it out.
Yes. Presumably you're leaving a path to the surface for the demons, so that they can fight ambushers and whatnot?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 09:07:58 pm »

ThatAussieDwarf came up with an ingenious trap to defeat hell, then colonized it.

Link:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94140.0
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »

There's also the hatch/Bridge of XXsocksXX, boulders, goblinite, and possibly, even live gobbos directly above the spire, crack it open from the top with a sacrificial dorf sealed in and see how much you can kill with refuse drops. Wasn't that aussie guy also the one that engraved hell? or am I thinking about a different epic?
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »

One thing that works is to set up a marksdwarf firing area that is within their range (30 blocks?) but out of the demon's firing range. This way, you can explode all the fire-based ones early on, making it much easier for your melee dwarves.

That said, have cave-in traps ready anyway. They are the only way to deal with certain things like (admittedly rare) non-biological non-meltable blobs.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 03:34:47 am »

It isn't very exciting but I found that silver spears in an upright trap connected to a leaver work well for killing deamons.

Just have a few of them in a row with doors in between to slow down and bunch up the deamons.

MrCompassionate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:52 am »

That is absolutely not enough to stop them, you have no idea what you are getting into!

OK so first off you say your guys should be able to pick off the flying demons? ALL demons in the initial charge are flying demons whether they have wings or not! You think you can shoot them down with arrows? Some of those f**kers wont even have internal organs, you think arrows are going to worry them? I had a group of bees made from FILTH coming out of that hole, the only part we could even damage was its fuggin titanium strong bones! We had to tear their heads off to kill those things and arrows didn't even concern them!

Secondly make bait below your drop traps or they will just run past while some dopey bugger of a dwarf refuses to pull the level because he/she is too busy drinking or sleeping. Use piles of furniture demons looove trashing that stuff.

Thirdly those pressure plates wont work and neither will any traps at all apart from spear/spikes on repeat or drop rocks.Try a big spear/spike array with the occasional furniture distraction while archers pepper them with bolts thus weeding out the weaklings and getting the occasional lucky brain/heart shot.

Fourthly your caged prisoners will be about as effective as a chocolate hammer against a cinderblock. Unless all your prisoners are master warriors or archers or perhaps a swarm of dragons I doubt they will do anything. Mighrt as well use them anyway though because it's hilarious.
NOW THE DEMONS OF THE UNDERWORLD SHALL SHARE IN MY HELL! NOTHING IS WORSE THAN A RAVEN CORPSE! NOTHING!

Urist McOriginalname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:14:25 am »

There is one prank you can pull off on dwarven caravans everything that enters the map.

To do it, dig a new tunnel out of your fortress and breach hell through it. While the demons are distracted, seal your fort and quickly close the hole demons used to get out of hell from underground. Colonize hell and close off your way out. Let the demons settle in your previous fort.
Thanks to the pieces of furniture you left, the demons should be chilling out inside your old fortress (artifact furniture might be the best to keep your brave settlers interested in staying inside of your old fort).

Laugh your ass off when the next unsuspecting dwarven caravan goblin siege comes expecting to see your weak, helpless dwarves and instead gets to meet your new owners.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:16:06 am by Urist McOriginalname »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:07:20 am »

While its true you cant have the trap avoid demons directly trigger pressure plates you can get them to set them off indirectly.  setup a bait door for them to destroy and have that door holding back a liquid of choice.  when door is destroyed liquid flows out seting off the pressure plate you set to detect fluid levels and activating the trap.you can even setup a cavein trap in such a way that the killzone corridor is floored over on the level above so flyers can not escape and then have the cavein pancake down and complealty reseal the corridor so nothing can escape.
Pages: [1] 2