Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clown Site Speculation [Spoilers unmarked!]  (Read 2117 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Clown Site Speculation [Spoilers unmarked!]
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:05:15 pm »

Debating whether this should be in Adv. sub-board.

So Toady has mentioned, sporadically, the existence of a new site, one for demons. We don't know much. We do know this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, Adventure mode 3D sites with a slight "created by a god" vibe. And fun. But what is the purpose of the sites? What are the demons doing there? What happens when an adventurer messes around in it? Tell me what you guys think.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 09:52:33 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clown Site Speculation [Spoilers unmarked!]
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:27 pm »

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:12:17 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:55:22 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:34:29 am »

Procedurally generated weapons instead of long swords.

I think that's what Toady meant.

Procedurally generated dungeon rewards.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 07:52:19 am »

He said about entities too.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:34 am »

Dug up a couple of interesting quotes on the topic:

Quote from: devlog
I added in some secondary locations related to demons, sort of toying around with possibilities beyond simple kill quests, but I'll leave off the details for entertainment purposes. I'll probably mess around with that for a few days, and then I think we're going to need to do goblin sites to finish off your involvement with goblin invasions and the forces of evil and all that. That'll leave us with a thoroughly messed up world that needs people to step up and do all the succession and breeding and rebuilding necessary to keep on going.

Quote from: devlog
Things are proceeding along. I cleaned up the demon site maps... 3D maps always seem to gobble extra time, probably because there's one more letter to mistype as one of the other two letters, but we're still on track.

Quote from: Heph
In the first map in the upper 1/3rd of the right side there is a darkgrey "Block". What does it mean?

I guess people who are curious will have to go on a little journey, he he he.  It'll be there waiting.
With reference to this image posted on the devlog:
Might not be related to demon sites, but seems likely.

Quote from: Thundercraft
When it comes time for magical artifacts, if their creation actually was inspired by a god, then will the item description mention this fact or even the name of the deity?

It's difficult to say what's going to happen there.  That said, the new demon sites have a slight touch of that in the next release, on a whim.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:27:47 am by Atomic Chicken »
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »

He said about entities too.

I figure it's something to do with what weapons, armor etc. they have available combined with... perhaps traditional Roguelike-style dungeons.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:37:35 pm »

Heh. Not being a native english speaker only now I figured that "put a bow on it" means "finishing it". At least I learned a new idiom.  :)

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:59 pm »

From DF Talk #19:

"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:39 am »

Am I just misremembering or did one of the first versions of DF have a some kind of demon chambers with bodies in upright spears and other disturbing stuff? Things like that would be awesome.

Demons sites seem to be an aboveground sites, since we saw one in that map. Perhaps Curious Aboveground Structrures?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 11:33:45 am »

If the new demon sites are anything like the 40d glowing pits, I'll be one happy (and very dead) adventurer.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.