Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sad endings to stories: how do I deal with my feels?  (Read 1894 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Sad endings to stories: how do I deal with my feels?
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:24:03 am »

I've been reading a monthly manga for years now, and it wraps up at the end of this month (Its Rosario + Vampire for those who know it). However, there was a particularly heart-wrenching scene just before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyhow, how do I deal with my feels? They are tearing me up inside. Using the Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark" as a base measurement, this is like 20 Seymours of sad (for me at any rate).
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Sad endings to stories: how do I deal with my feels?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:59 am »

The ending of Nier brought me down for a while. Savor the feels while they last!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:53 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:44:52 am »

x2

What I love about this is the barbell. I've felt like that.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:12:58 pm »

Savor the feels while they last!
Yeah, seriously. This is the good kind of sadness. Fucking enjoy it, pansy.

If the feelings aren't consuming you, you're able to look over them and appreciate them. The feelings from a work of fiction aren't going to consume you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:38 pm »

This is something I used to experience a lot as a kid. Not even because of a specific scene. More because this thing I loved and have been invested in is ending. I remember always getting real depressed at the end of the old Hobbit movie, getting depressed at the end of LotR trilogy (which does end on a melancholy note.)

As I've gotten older the feels just don't last as long, or hit as hard. Or maybe I've found other ways to deal with it by channeling those feelings into something. Or perhaps just immediately moving on so my brain gets distracted and forgets about that thing which was just plaguing it.

Either way, I think this is something age and time fixes this.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:29 pm »

Savor the feels while they last!
Yeah, seriously. This is the good kind of sadness. Fucking enjoy it, pansy.

If the feelings aren't consuming you, you're able to look over them and appreciate them. The feelings from a work of fiction aren't going to consume you.
Yup, this.

Well, I suppose one COULD become consumed by said feels, but then you have obsession problems. That is solved by expanding your horizons and enjoying more than one thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17:41 pm »

If something leaves you feeling sad rather than angry/confused/disappointed then it's probably done its job as a work of fiction.  You should probably reflect on what it was telling you for a bit and then move on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:35:02 pm »

Threads like these are what make me question my humanity.
For reals.

If/when I experience an unwanted emotion, I have learned how to silence it; I override by reminding myself that emotions and sensations only serve a purpose when they are useful, and emotions over fictional characters have no such purpose to service. I can then "detatch". Emotions and sensations over real people or things are more tricky though. Needs more complex reason to banish. (...Emotions can be such troublesome noise.) It isn't so much "repressing" the emotion, so much as accepting it is there, and then tuning it out. Kinda like tuning out loud conversationalists at dinner. It is.. very unsettling for me to experience an emotional reaction that I cannot control.

Strange juju.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 01:37:46 pm »

If something leaves you feeling sad rather than angry/confused/disappointed then it's probably done its job as a work of fiction.  You should probably reflect on what it was telling you for a bit and then move on.
+1

Also, life is not about being happy all the time. We measure our successes by our failures, the height of our blisses by the depth of our sorrows. To learn, to grow, we must experience; reading and playing are ways of nibbling an experience and learning how to handle it before life stuffs a chunk of it down your throat and you're left reeling.

You're pretty much gaining EXP here so enjoy the ride.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:53:29 pm »

You're probably just a sociopath, don't worry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 03:22:53 pm »

No. Not a sociopath. A sociopath only cares about themselves, and how they themselves feel. I actually do care about other people, and more often than not put other people before my own considerations.

That is decidedly not sociopathy. I just experience emotions differently or something.

*shrug

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »

If/when I experience an unwanted emotion, I have learned how to silence it; I override by reminding myself that emotions and sensations only serve a purpose when they are useful, and emotions over fictional characters have no such purpose to service. I can then "detatch". Emotions and sensations over real people or things are more tricky though. Needs more complex reason to banish. (...Emotions can be such troublesome noise.) It isn't so much "repressing" the emotion, so much as accepting it is there, and then tuning it out. Kinda like tuning out loud conversationalists at dinner. It is.. very unsettling for me to experience an emotional reaction that I cannot control.

In a relationship? Because this sounds like the rational explanation guys give to women when they're trying to divorce them from negative emotions. The message is typically never received well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »

Still, I am rather shitted. Time to find more things to read, I think.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 05:20:05 pm »

In a relationship? Because this sounds like the rational explanation guys give to women when they're trying to divorce them from negative emotions. The message is typically never received well.

No, single and happy. It's my default state. :)
Pages: [1] 2