Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game always crashes after three minutes once it's 2-3 years into a fort age.  (Read 1035 times)

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This has only started since I last started playing with the latest version of PeridexisErrant LNP r45.  3 separate save games now are crashing on me 3 minutes into playing them.  I have tried LAA (large address aware) and , loading up a completely unmodified version of 34.11 and, adjusting every option I could think of like lowering pop caps. Exception code: 0xc0000005 is what windows keeps telling me so I know it's a highly reproducible memory access violation error and it happens under every circumstance I could think of to try.  Anyone got any ideas of what else I could try. also where do I place my save games should someone else want to see if it is happening to them as well?
We need Metal Slimes as pets in DF.

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I Googled that error the 2 common fixes are cleaning your Registry and if that doesn't fix it. Bad RAM is a common cause, swapping RAM or removing them stick by stick and test to diagnose if one is bad.

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it was bad ram wouldn't other programs on my comp be crashing sometimes as well?

And I run c-cleaner on my comp Every-so-often but I will do it again just in case.

here is the link to my save if someone wants to see if it happens to them as well.  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8326
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:01:04 am by premetheas »

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crashes for me too...

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have any of your other games been crashing?

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, but I mostly play Adventure mode at work.

As you said it crashed repeatedly after a few minutes. Crazy idea that seems have fixed it for some reason. Disband you military and remove all labors (from everyone) let it run. It's winter now and you are out of booze but the game hasn't crashed.

Interesting note; Olon your planter is going nuts right now. He's just running around killing pets!

eccentric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enabled labors again and it crashed almost immediately.

Loaded it back up all disabled labors again (except 2 brewers so they can drink, they are starving but drunk) it's 454 mid-spring error free...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

So, you may have a dwarf with toxic information in their vector?

That's a genuine bug, but without more context, how do you file steps to reproduce?

I'd be more tempted to write a lua script for dfhack that dumps all the soul and skill data for every dwarf into a dump, sanitize the dump, then overwrite all the dwarves with the sanitized data.

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have two other saves that started to do the same thing, would loading them up potentially help?

gonna try some stuff with my dwarves when I get off work at 6:30 am tomorrow morning.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Are you using any special DFHack plugins/scripts with these fortresses?

If yes, turn them off (or run totally vanilla) and create a brand new fortress and see if it eventually crashes too - if it doesn't, then it's possible one of the plugins/scripts is written incorrectly and is corrupting DF's memory in some subtle way (and corrupting the savegame itself, which would explain why other people are seeing it crash as well).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:18:45 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

Windbg testing suggests bug is occurring in a function that checks the general_refs of an item for references to a containing item, and checks if the containing item is a bin that is not already in use by someone for a job. The game tries to access what it thinks is a general ref, but is actually memory that doesn't belong to DF.

For several crashes, the last message in the gamelog is:
`xbow2' Erithnir has become a Marksdwarf
This guy is a recruit at first in the save file. He is carrying an empty quiver.

premetheas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you using any special DFHack plugins/scripts with these fortresses?

If yes, turn them off (or run totally vanilla) and create a brand new fortress and see if it eventually crashes too - if it doesn't, then it's possible one of the plugins/scripts is written incorrectly and is corrupting DF's memory in some subtle way (and corrupting the savegame itself, which would explain why other people are seeing it crash as well).

all the df-hack scripts that where turned on by default with PeridexisErrant LNP. 

Windbg testing suggests bug is occurring in a function that checks the general_refs of an item for references to a containing item, and checks if the containing item is a bin that is not already in use by someone for a job. The game tries to access what it thinks is a general ref, but is actually memory that doesn't belong to DF.

For several crashes, the last message in the gamelog is:
`xbow2' Erithnir has become a Marksdwarf
This guy is a recruit at first in the save file. He is carrying an empty quiver.

Now that I think about my previous two worlds are crashing right around my first xbow squad as well.  so I am thinking perhaps some df hack script is messing with memory involving bins and marksdwarves.

Well I am going to spend this morning playing a new save with df-hack disabled see if it still happens, which is gonna potentially suck as the temp and bin fixes of df-hack was 50% of my framerate on my comp.

Thanks a bunch for the help so far.